Professional Web Applications Themes

How to reduce file size of JPEG photo for web use? - Adobe Photoshop Elements

How do I adjust a 2.69 mb JPEG photo to be 50 kb or less so it can be used on a website?...

  1. #1

    Default How to reduce file size of JPEG photo for web use?

    How do I adjust a 2.69 mb JPEG photo to be 50 kb or less so it can be used on a website?
    raycatlett@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to reduce file size of JPEG photo for web use?

    Ray,

    Go to File>Save for Web. There are many options in there from which to choose. The amount of compression is selectable, the higher the compression, the smaller the file size but with less quality. You decide which is good enough considering your size requirements.
    Nancy_S@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    The method I usually use is to use Image/resize. This will present a dialog box where you can change the dimensions of the picture as well as the resolution. At the risk of starting another one of these long winded discussions about resolution, you should set the resolution somewhere between 72 and 100 PPI.. Then, set the dimensions of your picture so that it will be suitable for displaying on the Web. Hopefully, someone with more information will add to this thread.
    Jim_Hess@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    If you use save for web it will easily allow you to change the
    dimensions of the doent as well as compress the doent to a
    file size that is suitable. You can't change the ppi from here
    but the ppi has no bearing on the size of your file or the way it
    displays on a monitor. The quickest way for me is to resize the
    doent by percent.
    --
    Have A Nice Day,
    jwh :-)
    <com> wrote in message
    can be used on a website?

    jhjl1@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    jhjl1@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    James, I use Save for Web almost exclusively for 'web-sizing' and I set the
    New Size in pixels to 800 by 600 or thereabouts, then use the slider on
    Quality until I get down to the desired size in KB as shown under the
    right-hand picture in the Save for Web box. Very quick!

    Chuck_Snyder@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Everyone has great ideas and they all work. I have learned by trial and
    error to do a couple of things in order first.
    I always reduce the number of colors by trial and effort until I still
    retain a quality picture, I then pick a compression value which also keeps
    the quality satisfactory, and if you have Macromedia Flash you can import
    the file into a single frame of flash convert to a Shockwave flash file
    while keeping the compression at high quality within flash and publishing
    the shockwave flash file to be viewed in your browser. If you like the
    quality at this point you may want to do a screen capture of the image
    displayed on the computer using print screen and then you can paste that
    file as a new image within any graphics editing program, and then use the
    selection tool to capture only the image itself from the original screen
    capture and discard all of the surrounding graphic, then paste as a new
    image. If you find after saving this image that the image is acceptable to
    you, you then have the choice of saving to the web, and / or reducing the
    size of the image while maintaining the correct ratio and proportions. Any
    combination of the above can be helpful to some extent, or you can do them
    all. Sometimes I have even repeated the process and received an even smaller
    file that was acceptable for the purpose I was using it for. Sometimes if
    you are only looking to create a small image with good quality you can
    create certain large sized large thumbnails of the original within
    Dreamweaver and Fireworks using Dreamweaver to command Fireworks to create
    them for you and a variety of other graphics programs can do the same. I had
    a good day today compared to most others and could remember some of what I
    have usually forgotten. I hope this helps. Good luck! James

    <com> wrote in message
    on a website?

    JAMES Guest

  8. #8

    That is an excellent and fast way to do it. I like percent
    because I can visualize the size I need for a particular
    situation quicker than I can calculate it. While working with any
    particular image I am paying attention to the specs on the top of
    the window (mainly what % I am currently viewing) than I just
    enter a percent to get it to proper size. By the way I really
    enjoyed your self-portraits.

  9. #9

    Chuck: Just for clarity I use the percent in save for web if the
    image needs compressing and I use percent in image resize if no
    compression is needed. In no case do I change the ppi for web use
    from whatever it may be set at.

  10. #10

    Thank you very much.

    Best regards,

    Ray
    raycatlett@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    I'd just like to make one comment: The resolution setting is totally irrelevant for monitor viewing. The only thing that matters is pixels. Resolution is completely ignored by the monitor. As others have stated, resample the image to somewhere around 800x600 pixels if you want a full-screen image that will fit on most people's monitors.
    Bert
    Bert_Bigelow@adobeforums.com Guest