Professional Web Applications Themes

How to remove the toolbar from Excel / Office - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

I will never need to use Contribute in any Office App. I want to remove the toolbar from Excel, at the moment. I have tried every way conceivable to get rid of the toolbar yet it comes back when I restart Excel. What do I need to do to make it go away for ever? It shouldn't be this hard! I have unchecked its toolbar box 20 times, yet it comes right back......

  1. #1

    Default How to remove the toolbar from Excel / Office

    I will never need to use Contribute in any Office App. I want to remove the
    toolbar from Excel, at the moment. I have tried every way conceivable to get
    rid of the toolbar yet it comes back when I restart Excel. What do I need to do
    to make it go away for ever? It shouldn't be this hard! I have unchecked its
    toolbar box 20 times, yet it comes right back...

    dbonneville Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to remove the toolbar from Excel / Office

    I didn't know Contribute added a toolbar to Office apps - I might find a use
    for it (sorry I'm no help to you, however). What version of Contribute are you
    using? I'm assume the toolbar was automatically added during installation?

    peglaws Guest

  3. #3

    I'm using Contribute 4. The toolbar was installed during the application
    install. I had version 3 already, and it didn't have the toolbars in the
    offices apps. If it did, I must have easily turned them off because I have no
    recollection of having turned them off. But this is frustrating because I've
    tried everything I can think of with no luck so far.

    dbonneville Guest

  4. #4

    I would also truly like the answer to this question. Contribute 4 was recently
    installed on my computer at work and every single office program has a
    Contribute Toolbar. Nothing I do removes it permanently. I've tried going
    into Tools, Customize and telling it to delete the toolbar. That only works
    for that session. Turning it off in View Toolbars doesn't last either. I
    don't need to the toolbar, it takes up valuable real estate and is just
    annoying. Any help in this area would greatly be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    blue3123 Guest

  5. #5

    I've had no luck yet. There has to be a way. I can't find it. This is BIG
    oversight if it's buried somewhere. I certainly hope they didn't make it a
    "feature" that you can't get rid of it. I also hope someone from Adobe chimes
    in pretty soon.

    dbonneville Guest

  6. #6

    In message <evmfh2$eio$1forums.macromedia.com>, dbonneville
    <webforumsusermacromedia.com> writes
    >I've had no luck yet. There has to be a way. I can't find it. This is BIG
    >oversight if it's buried somewhere. I certainly hope they didn't make it a
    >"feature" that you can't get rid of it. I also hope someone from Adobe chimes
    >in pretty soon.

    The only solution we found was to uninstall it, and re-install it as a
    custom installation - turning off the (from memory) "Office integration"
    option... (before we did that, my copy of Outlook kept crashing - now
    it doesn't!)
    --
    David Pearson
    David Pearson Guest

  7. #7

    I went to uninstall it and saw that there was 3 options: remove, repair, and
    change. I clicked "change" and was presented with 3 checkbox options for
    toolbar integration: Office, IE, and Firefox. I deselected them all. I
    experience a system crash and had to reboot twice. On the second reboot
    (neither of which may have been related to the installer), all my apps were
    toolbar-less as I expected. Several other people running Contribute in the
    office did the same with excellent results.

    dbonneville Guest

  8. #8

    You can get rid of the toolbar and menu options in Word by deleting the
    Contribute template. (Tools, Template and Addins). That was easy for me, but
    I have to communicate to my users.

    Still looking for an Excel solution.

    Christyb Guest

  9. #9

    Instead of a custom install, etc., you can rename these files under Program Files/Adobe..etc..

    OfficePlugin.dll
    OfficePluginRes.dll

    to get ride Contribute toolbars and menus in Word and Excel.
    Christyb Guest

  10. #10

    Thank You, Thank You. That worked great! It was really annoying to me as well
    and I also couldn't understand why it kept coming back no matter how many times
    I tried unchecking and deleting the toolbar.

    mel_in Guest

  11. #11

    This was pretty annoying. I had to reinstall Contribute (Web Premium) and I
    was never given the option for a custom installation to uncheck this option.
    It automatically installed the Office plug-ins. Christyb's solution to rename
    the dll files seems to have worked in Word, and Outlook. (I'm not going to
    need to edit or copy emails in Contibute). I had to remove the toolbars in
    Firefox and IE. Pain in the A$$%^&!.

    Jingleballs Guest

  12. #12

    Mad props to Christyb! Renaming the two .dlls worked perfectly and was easy.

    Thanks mucho!
    jackodn Guest

  13. #13

    Word - Tools - Templates and Add-ins - untick ContributeWordUITemplate.dot
    akribie Guest

  14. #14

    Thank you, Christyb!

    That bar has been annoying me for over a year and, as it is a dull Sunday
    today, I persevered and found your solution :grin;

    Jayne xx

    [q]Originally posted by: Christyb
    Instead of a custom install, etc., you can rename these files under Program
    Files/Adobe..etc..

    OfficePlugin.dll
    OfficePluginRes.dll

    to get rid Contribute toolbars and menus in Word and Excel.[/q]

    Sapphyr Guest

  15. #15

    [q]Originally posted by: Christyb
    Instead of a custom install, etc., you can rename these files under Program
    Files/Adobe..etc..

    OfficePlugin.dll
    OfficePluginRes.dll

    to get rid Contribute toolbars and menus in Word and Excel.[/q]

    I know that it's late for this thread and you may never see this, but just in
    case you do... a big thank you from me as well. I installed Contribute only
    because I thought that I might see what it does some day. I still haven't
    figured out anything even remotely useful, and yet I had that accursed
    indelible toolbar inflicting itself on me every time I opened an Office
    application. I generally like Adobe software, but they made a meal of that one.

    Mal Guest