Professional Web Applications Themes

How to round just come corners on a complex object? - Adobe Illustrator Windows

The round corners effect is unfortunately royally ing up my shape, because it rounds _ALL_ of the corners instead of just the ones I want rounded and it turns half (but not all????) of the curves into straight segments. Why is this so buggy? It's there a better way? Any way to selectively round only certain corners? Ideally, I'd like to round only the sharp corners and not the smooth ones. I'm using CS2 right now, but I've seen this buggy behaviour in every version of Illustrator I've ever encountered. When is Adobe going to fix it?...

  1. #1

    Default How to round just come corners on a complex object?

    Sean_Robertson@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    See this action by John Kallios <http://share.studio.adobe.com/axAssetDetailSubmit.asp?aID=8934&back=http%3A%2F%2 Fshare%2Estudio%2Eadobe%2Ecom%2FaxBrowseProductTyp e%2Easp%3Ft%3D26>.
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Or, you can download this dopperganger action that Marc Coulombe posted. <http://share.studio.adobe.com/axAssetDetailSubmit.asp?aID=11681&back=http%3A%2F% 2Fshare%2Estudio%2Eadobe%2Ecom%2FaxBrowseProductTy pe%2Easp%3Ft%3D26>

    Looks awfully familiar though. :D
    John_Kallios@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Note that action does not give the desired results when the selected anchor point is a concave point instead of a convex one. Basically, if you can draw a straight line connecting the two anchor points on either side of the selected anchor point (or on either side of the selected sequence of contigous to-be-rounded anchor points), and that straight line is entirely contained within the fill of the shape, crossing no edges of the path, then the action will work, subject to the glitches that exist in the Round Corners effect itself. (Which can do very bizarre things to paths that contain corner points between curved beziers.)

    John's action is basically cutting the path in half along the line described above, applying the Round Corners filter to one half, and then reuniting the two halves using the Pathfinder palette.
    Teri Guest

  5. #5

    Looks awfully familiar though.

    I saw that, John. That's chutzpah, right there.
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    above, applying the Round Corners filter to one half, and then reuniting
    the two halves using the Pathfinder palette.

    Gosh, way to go in exposing the smoke and mirrors of the action. :(

    :D

    straight segments.

    I am sorry and I did not read your post thoroughly. If you already are not getting good results from round corner effect or filter, the action will not improve the results. The action was intended to only be used with simple polygons.

    XD I got a big kick out of it.
    John_Kallios@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    In a nutshell, another bumpy action. Right, John? ;-)

    The elegant way is to use the graphic style route, created by someone else here around ... but wait, these styles are also bumpy cause only useful with very very simple shapes...
    Kurt_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    The bumpier, the better. :D
    John_Kallios@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Try "Xtream Path" by CValley, Inc. They have a plugin for illustrator that works reasonably well - although not perfect in all cirstances. Still, it's a far sight better than Adobe could come up with.

    Their website is www.cvalley.com.

    I'd like to see Adobe come out with a corner rounding system that works much like some of the signmakers design programs such as: Flexi or Gerber Omega.....they have some very good fillet tools that do a nice job on changing vector corners of all kinds to user defined radius specifications.

    Teri - have you ever checked out the radius functions of those vector programs geared towards signmakers and their vinyl plotters? You should....you'll find a host of excellent vector functions in them.
    Tom_Walace@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Tom,

    I have never used any programs designed for signmakers or vinyl plotters. I have used the Xtream Path plugins.

    But like I keep saying on these forums, I don't get to make decisions about how Illustrator will work. I can present my opinions, but that doesn't mean they'll happen.

    Heck, I've been wanting since 1987 to have a way of constraining direction handle drags to maintain the current angle while adjusting only the length.
    Teri Guest

  11. #11

    Thanks for the response Teri.

    I might add: I just loaded the new "CadTools 4" Illustrator plugin by HotDoor...which, according to the developer I spoke with says the new 4 version is supposed to have a fillet tool that can radius corner on both straight line segments and curved line segments that meet at a common "anchor point" WITHOUT changing the position of the connecting lines.

    I haven't tested this yet...but sure hope it works...and if it does - this will be a very good thing and maybe the answer to the posters' question
    Tom_Walace@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Default Re: How to round just some corners on a complex object?

    Try Extreme Path plugin from CValley, has a thing called "Smart Rounding" in it. I believe you can select just some corners and choose to round them.
    Brad_Shaw@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Nobody reads post #8.
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest