Professional Web Applications Themes

How to run SVM ( Solaris Volume Manager ) in SOlaris 9 - Sun Solaris

I am testing Solaris 9 on an Ultra 2 , I have checked on SUN site and this forum before loding that , DiskSuite is now part of OS ( SVM ). I loaded the entire OS , but did not see "Metatool" command , I got all the meta commands like metadb , metainit though (/usr/sbin ). I thought SVM should be available under the application menu but no , without metatool , I can only use command mode for setting up meta devices . Do I need to do some setup to get SVM running ? what is ...

  1. #1

    Default How to run SVM ( Solaris Volume Manager ) in SOlaris 9

    I am testing Solaris 9 on an Ultra 2 , I have checked on SUN site and
    this forum before loding that , DiskSuite is now part of OS ( SVM ).
    I loaded the entire OS , but did not see "Metatool" command , I got
    all the meta commands like metadb , metainit though (/usr/sbin ).
    I thought SVM should be available under the application menu but no ,
    without metatool , I can only use command mode for setting up meta
    devices .
    Do I need to do some setup to get SVM running ? what is the command to
    fire up SVM ? I could not get any clue from SUN's site .
    Can anyone kind enough to point me a direction ?

    Thanks in advance

    William CY
    IT Guest

  2. #2

    com (IT admin) writes:

    Metatool is part of SUNWmdg which, according to [1] is on Solaris 9 CD 2 of
    2 in /cdrom/Solaris_9/Product/SUNWmdg

    I suspect you can also use SMC for that.

    But why would you want to use GUI for setting SVM?

    HTH, Dragan

    [1] http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=eae59afa.0307250649.372aa41f%40posting .google.com

    --
    Dragan Cvetkovic,

    !!! Sender/From address is bogus. Use reply-to one but remove .NOSPAM !!!
    Dragan Guest

  3. #3

    IT admin wrote:

    The details for Solstice DiskSuite 4.2.1 should be exactly the same as
    those for Solaris 9 VM. Searching docs.sun.com for "Solaris Volume
    Manager" (with "search book titles only" set) does seem to come up with
    3 useful-looking hits, though - when you say "I could not get any clue
    from SUN's site", where did you search, and for what?

    --
    Tony

    Tony Guest

  4. #4

    I searched for Solaris volume manager , at software products ,
    www.sun.com , there was an admin manual but nothing on installation .

    I am very experienced with metatool, just need to get the GUI
    environment started .

    Thanks for your infor. .

    William

    Tony Walton <com> wrote in message news:<com>...

    > The details for Solstice DiskSuite 4.2.1 should be exactly the same as
    > those for Solaris 9 VM. Searching docs.sun.com for "Solaris Volume
    > Manager" (with "search book titles only" set) does seem to come up with
    > 3 useful-looking hits, though - when you say "I could not get any clue
    > from SUN's site", where did you search, and for what?[/ref]
    IT Guest

  5. #5

    Thank you for your infor. .

    I can use command mode as well , but my assistant , the one who will
    help me when I am away does not like command mode .
    I have been using metatool with S 8 all along , but never get to use
    soltices , that was purely because I was lazy to load that , there
    were instructions for loading though it was not loaded during OS
    installation .
    For this case , I heard many prople said Volume manager was bunlded
    FOC , hence I am very eager to test it out , the infor. I got from
    SUN's site were on admin and usage , nothing on installation or
    setup/startup , I am still trying to get it started . May be I have
    searched the wrong site .

    William

    Dragan Cvetkovic <net> wrote in message news:<net>...

    > Metatool is part of SUNWmdg which, according to [1] is on Solaris 9 CD 2 of
    > 2 in /cdrom/Solaris_9/Product/SUNWmdg
    >
    > I suspect you can also use SMC for that.
    >
    > But why would you want to use GUI for setting SVM?
    >
    > HTH, Dragan
    >
    > [1] http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=eae59afa.0307250649.372aa41f%40posting .google.com[/ref]
    IT Guest

  6. #6

    On 26 Sep 2003, IT admin wrote:

    So train your assistant, or hire a competant one.

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Guest

  7. #7

    Rich Teer <com> writes:

    > So train your assistant, or hire a competant one.
    >[/ref]

    Aside from that, please take note that metatool and sun cluster don't mix
    well (and Sun explicitly warns you not to use it on a clustered system). I
    had a cluster node panic on me once just because a sysadmin fired metatool
    up to see something (it seemed metatool pulled out disk set ownership from
    the other node but did it in a way that cluster doesn't/didn't support so
    the other node still thought it owned the disk set although it didn't).

    Bye, Dragan

  8. #8

    "IT admin" <com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    In Solaris9, although bundled with the OS, LVM is not selected by default.
    You most likely selected the default install, which, if my memory serves me
    correctly, does not explicitly select LVM. You can add it later though, it
    should be on the second CD.

    Solaris Guest

  9. #9

    IT admin wrote:

    SUNWmdr
    SUNWmdu
    SUNWmdx

    Packages install by default in an "FULL" solaris9 installation.

    Metatool is gone.

    You use Sun Managament Console in sol9 4/03 and later.

    Lars Tunkrans
    smtp: lars dot tunkrans at bredband dot net

    Lars Guest