Professional Web Applications Themes

How to save brushes... - Macromedia Fireworks

Hi, This seems like a silly question, and the answer must be staring me in the face, and yet I'm clueless: How can I save the characteristics of a paint brush or eraser I use? For instance, I have an eraser I've set to a size of 5, a circular shape, and and edge of 8. How can I save this eraser setting to use over and over again--what I really need is a palette where I can store multiple sizes and characteristics that I use often--it's become a real pain to change the settings everytime I need a different ...

  1. #1

    Default How to save brushes...

    Hi,

    This seems like a silly question, and the answer must be staring me in the face, and yet I'm clueless:

    How can I save the characteristics of a paint brush or eraser I use? For instance, I have an eraser I've set to a size of 5, a circular shape, and and edge of 8. How can I save this eraser setting to use over and over again--what I really need is a palette where I can store multiple sizes and characteristics that I use often--it's become a real pain to change the settings everytime I need a different eraser size.

    Can anyone point me to the (what is probably very obvious) answer?

    Thanks!

    arthurg webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to save brushes...

    I don't think you can (though I'm no bitmap tool expert). I'd suggest
    trying to switch to vector editing. It's so much more flexible than
    painting pixels with a bitmap tool.

    Vector Strokes can be saved as styles.

    --
    Richard Blenkinsopp
    [url]www.richiebee.ca[/url]
    "arthurg" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > This seems like a silly question, and the answer must be staring me in the
    face, and yet I'm clueless:

    > How can I save the characteristics of a paint brush or eraser I use? For
    instance, I have an eraser I've set to a size of 5, a circular shape, and
    and edge of 8. How can I save this eraser setting to use over and over
    again--what I really need is a palette where I can store multiple sizes and
    characteristics that I use often--it's become a real pain to change the
    settings everytime I need a different eraser size.

    > Can anyone point me to the (what is probably very obvious) answer?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Richie Bee Guest

  3. #3

    Obvious is a relative term... sometimes it requires requires standing on
    your head and looking through a prism.

    Saving The Brush - Method One
    1) Select the paint brush
    2) Set size, shape, edge, etc.
    3) Select "Stroke Category" (use the tooltip to identify it) dropdown in the
    properties panel. Select "Stroke Options". Click the "Save custom strok
    button (with the plus sign) in the lower left hand corner). Name the
    stroke, and click ok.
    4) However this doesn't save the texture or amount of texture.
    5) The stroke will be saved in the group (Pencil, Basic, etc.) that is was
    derived from. Recall it whenever you need it.

    Saving The Brush - Method Two
    1) Select the paint brush
    2) Set size, shape, edge, etc.
    3) Go To the last Stroke command in the history panel, and save it as a
    command. Texture and Amount of Texture are preserved.
    4) When you want the brush again, select the paint brush and run the
    command.

    I don't believe erasers can be saved directly. However, if you are
    creative.... erasers are just specialized brushes (i.e. shape is selected
    indirectly) and you can save a brush that acts like an eraser.

    Hope that helps.....

    Cheers,
    Sam

    "arthurg" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > This seems like a silly question, and the answer must be staring me in the
    face, and yet I'm clueless:

    > How can I save the characteristics of a paint brush or eraser I use? For
    instance, I have an eraser I've set to a size of 5, a circular shape, and
    and edge of 8. How can I save this eraser setting to use over and over
    again--what I really need is a palette where I can store multiple sizes and
    characteristics that I use often--it's become a real pain to change the
    settings everytime I need a different eraser size.

    > Can anyone point me to the (what is probably very obvious) answer?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Sam Poikail Guest