Professional Web Applications Themes

how to set print area? - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

I"m trying to print a doent and it keeps cutting off the bottom line. It prints fine at the top and that is the same distance from the edge. the margins are set at 1/8" and the line is roughly 1/4" from the edge. It also doesn't have a real preview in the print box/ I do see that the line that I'm guessing is some kind of print area is further from the bottom edge than from the top, but don't kow how to change it. What do I need to do here? Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default how to set print area?

    editgrrl@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: how to set print area?

    Which margins are you talking about? The ones in the Paper Size definition for the printer are what matter. Are you trying to print at 100% a page that is the same size as the paper? Or are you trying to get your page to print within th printer's margins.

    If the former, then you need to buy a printer that prints to the edge of the page. If the latter, then use the custom page size feature of the print dialog to create a custom page for your printer with a 1/4" bottom margin.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I'm still really lost with this. I can see in the print area preview that the margin is larger at the bottom than at the top of the page, and it's cutting it off. I don't know where or how to change that. In the margins and column box, they are all evenly set at .125. Nothing should be cutting off. The text is just under a half inch from the bottom of the page, yet it's cutting off. Everywhere I can see, the page is set at letter size. There should be nothing weird about the settings.

    Are you trying to print at 100% a page that is the same size as the paper?
    Or are you trying to get your page to print within th printer's margins.
    <<<

    Not sure what specifically you are referring to here. Where do I check this?

    Thanks
    editgrrl@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    man this is maddening. I've had to bring the bottom text way up and the thing is still cutting off. And when I open it in Acrobat Reader and try to print, it reduces the size to about 80 percent. And when I export as pdf and open in Illustrator, knowing it would then open as the right size, it takes the photograph on the page and turns it into a negative image. I'm ready to just recreate the stupid thing in Illustrator.
    editgrrl@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Does this happen only with InDesign or is it something that happens with all applications?

    The essence of your problem is that you are choosing a paper size that has a large margin at the bottom -- this is happening in the Page Setup/Printer part of the print dialogs.

    The margins and columns box is part of your page definition inside InDesign. That decides how large you want your design to be on the page (although, even with those choices made, you can still put information outside of the margin). That's not what's setting the margins on the pages you're printing to. Those definitions are part of the page size in the printer driver.

    It could just be that you need to choose the correct paper size (some devices support the same paper size with different margins, such as Letter and Letter-Small).

    You've not mentioned which version of InDesign nor what printer. Next time you try to print from InDesign, click the Page Setup... button at the bottom left of the Print dialog to set the Page Setup values (ignore the warning alert). Make sure you're formatting for your printer (and not "Any Printer") and if necessary, define a custom paper size with margins that satisfy you -- just remember that the printer will only go so close to the edge of the page, so if it is a physical limitation of your printer that's causing this, then there's not much can be done, but you seem to be implying that you don't have this problem in Illustrator, so there's hope.

    After using the Page Setup... button, go to the Setup panel of the Print dialog and choose "Defined by Driver" as the paper size.

    If there are other choices that your printer offers (for example, quality settings), choose the Printer button at the bottom of the print dialogs (again, ignore the warning) and first make sure that your printer is still selected in the Printer drop down at top, then operate the unlabeled drop-down that reads Copies & Pages and choose Printer Features. From there, make any appropriate choices.

    Click the Print button to dismiss that dialog and now double-check the panels of the Print dialog to make sure that they're set the way you want them and then click Print.

  6. #6

    Thanks Dave,
    I ended up exporting to eps and printing it as a fix, but I'll check into al this and post back. I want to resolve this issue soon. Thanks =)
    editgrrl@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    I am having EXACTLY the same problem as editgrrl if that makes he/she feel any better. I am going to follow Dave's instructions and see how I get on. Thanks folks.

    VL
    Valerie_Lapthorne@adobeforums.com Guest