Professional Web Applications Themes

how to set the boot loader for multi-OS configuration - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I have installed WinXP and W2K server on my computer, and now I want to install Linux. How should I configure the boot loader? I should choose to install the boot loader at MBR or The first sector of boot partition? How these two configurations affect the existing boot loader? Thanx a lot...

  1. #1

    Default how to set the boot loader for multi-OS configuration

    I have installed WinXP and W2K server on my computer, and now I want to
    install Linux.
    How should I configure the boot loader?
    I should choose to install the boot loader at MBR or The first sector of
    boot partition?
    How these two configurations affect the existing boot loader?
    Thanx a lot

    Janice Guest

  2. #2

    Janice wrote:

    .... most distros will set everything up for you (you
    didnt mention the distro you have chosen)

    .... the best way is the MBR

    if you choose the boot partition, then you'll have to figure
    a way to get THAT to boot, usu with some other boot mgr.

    Did you know that clones never use mirrors? "The Devil's Dictionary"

    mjt Guest

  3. #3

    Janice <com> wrote:

    What? The MBR. Unless you have some way of making your windows
    bootloader boot some other bootloader (you do, but you probably don't
    know how).

    In the obvious way - one tosses it out the door, and the other relies on
    you to configure it to boot the lilo/grub/whatever linux loader.

    Let the installer put the linux loader in the mbr. It can run windows
    loaders.

    Peter
    Peter Guest

  4. #4

    Janice wrote:
    I found it easiest to install Linux on a separate HD, so you don't have
    to bother with repartitioning the existing one and preserving data at
    the same time. I made my linux drive primary drive

    I used GRUB to install in MBR. GRUB can boot both linux and windows
    (W98, ME, W2k, WinXP etc.). You have to do a trick to make windows think
    it boots from a primary drive. There a several GRUB howtos to do it.
    Here is the sample of my /etc/grub.conf
    default=0
    timeout=10
    splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

    title Red Hat Linux 8.0 (2.4.18-14)
    root (hd0,4)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=/dev/hda5
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.18-14.img

    title Windows
    map (hd0,0) (hd1,1)
    map (hd1,1) (hd0,0)
    rootnoverify (hd1,1)
    chainloader +1

    I beleive you can do the same with LILO, but it is a bit messier, I
    don't remember the details

    Hope this helps,

    boris

    Boris Guest

  6. #6

    "Janice" <com> wrote in message

    Installing it at MBR s away the current Windows boot loader. That's OK,
    until you need to re-install Windows (which I suspect may happen), in which
    case there's no way to prevent Windows from ing away your Linux boot
    loader and you'll need to use a boot floppy or a Linux installation CD in
    "rescue" mode to re-install your Linux boot loader.

    Nico Guest

  7. #7

    > I have installed WinXP and W2K server on my computer, and now I want to

    windows 2K and XP share the same C: drive?
    If so the easiest soultion is to add an entry to the windows loader.
    Search google for the howto describing this.
    try the keywords "NT loader linux howto"

    Eric
    Eric Guest