Professional Web Applications Themes

How to set the default text editor - Adobe Indesign Windows

When I package a doent (InDesign 2.0), a window appears to allow me to fill in Printing Instructions. I fill in the details that I want and continue the process of packaging. The file that is created (in the package folder) is basically a text file, but it has no file extension, so I have to select Notepad to read it. The help screens for packaging say that this file will be saved using the "default text editor." I can't find any place to set the default text editor to Notepad. Can anyone explain how to set this default?...

  1. #1

    Default How to set the default text editor

    tom.hudson@mail.wvu.edu@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to set the default text editor

    The file should be saved with a txt extension. You won't see it if you
    have hide known file extension enabled.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks, Bob, but I don't think that's what is happening. I have all file extensions displayed, and the .indd file extension and all others show up just fine.
    The file containing the printing instructions shows up as "File" with no extension at all.
    I can open it with Notepad, so I assumed it was a plain text file, but it is definitely not being saved with any file extension (I even checked it under DOS!).
    tom.hudson@mail.wvu.edu@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    That's very odd. You could try trashing your prefs and see if that
    corrects it.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  5. #5

    I think we're on to something. How do I trash my prefs?
    I inherited this computer from a previous employee and no one seems to have any record of what was installed or how. If I can reset all the prefs to defaults, that might help me straighten a lot of things out.
    tom.hudson@mail.wvu.edu@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    If I don't type an extension, the file is created without one. (ID 2.0.2)

    -John O

    JohnO@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    You have to delete the InDesign SavedData and the InDesign Defaults
    files. You'll have to search for them but make sure that show hidden
    files is enabled.

    Warning: this will reset everything to factory defaults.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  8. #8

    John's posting solved my problem - if I want a file extension on the Printing Instructions file, I have to type it. That makes the reference to "default text editor" in the Help Screens a little misleading.
    Before I reset to the factory defaults, one more question - will that erase my dictionary entries? If so, I sure don't want to do that, as I have "taught" InDesign several hundred technical words and abbreviations.
    tom.hudson@mail.wvu.edu@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Don't do it. But I find it odd that you're not getting extensions with
    those files.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest