Professional Web Applications Themes

How to setup a client updatable site? - Macromedia Flash Data Integration

I apologize if this has been covered already, but I'm not sure where to start because I don't know the proper setup for this. I've been making Flash sites for a while and am pretty comfortable with it, including actionscripting, but I have a real estate client that wants to be able to update their site with new properties themselves. Obviously a simple HTML page would be easiest, but I wanted to find out how this would be done in flash. Most of the examples I see are for linking to xml data tables and the like which doesn't seem ...

  1. #1

    Default How to setup a client updatable site?

    I apologize if this has been covered already, but I'm not sure where to start
    because I don't know the proper setup for this. I've been making Flash sites
    for a while and am pretty comfortable with it, including actionscripting, but I
    have a real estate client that wants to be able to update their site with new
    properties themselves. Obviously a simple HTML page would be easiest, but I
    wanted to find out how this would be done in flash. Most of the examples I see
    are for linking to xml data tables and the like which doesn't seem to be
    exactly what I'm looking for. How would I go about making an "area" in flash
    in which they could load a new picture and a couple paragraphs? Would I have
    Flash look for a whole html page, or define a picture and paragraph objects
    that are individually replaced, protecting the formatting/design? Is this
    possible/a good way to go about it?

    Thanks in advance,
    Devin

    Rusherific Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to setup a client updatable site?

    Hi

    Who will be hosting the site, you or the client?

    This is a feature often seen in profi sites - whereby the customer can upload
    content as and when, I think your best approach is to define a Flash page only
    for the customer so they can enter the new content - drag and drop - cut and
    paste whichever you like. But you will still need a method of ftp-ing the
    content to the net from Flash.

    I wouldn't dismiss XML completely this is the backbone of most sites, creating
    an XML file would give you complete control over the clients ability to create
    content and send it to the appropriate area of the site.

    Hope it helps

    The Feldkircher Guest

  3. #3

    In addition to The Feldkircher advice you would need to learn server side
    scripting like PHP. You would use the Flash 8
    [url]http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flash/8/main/00002204.html[/url] and
    [url]http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flash/8/main/00002226.html[/url] to accomplish the
    uploading of the graphic images. You also can use
    thehttp://livedocs.macromedia.com/flash/8/main/00002225.html to send along text
    data although it is not doented so if you go that far, you may want to
    search the Actoinscript and this forum as the question has been asked often but
    as a hint you use the ?var=the text as part of the load method url.

    On the server side you need probably a database to store the link information,
    the text and the url of the uploaded image. Then Flash can request a server
    script to query that list to provide the user view.

    Your goal is ambitious and I would rate it intermediate plus scripting skill
    both on Flash and server side.

    MotionMaker Guest