Professional Web Applications Themes

How to speed start of computer - Mac Applications & Software

Is there a way to speed start-up of my computer? Since I 'upgraded' the operating system of my beige, desktop G3 from 8.6 to 9.21, the start time of my computer has increased to three one-quarter minutes -- even after buying and installing Start Doubler (which reduced the start time by about a minute.) For about a minute one-quarter during start-up, the only things showing on the monitor are the clock and the icon of the computer, and then suddenly all the other icons appear simultaneously, but now even after the icons and windows appear, I have no control over ...

  1. #1

    Default How to speed start of computer

    Is there a way to speed start-up of my computer?

    Since I 'upgraded' the operating system of my beige, desktop G3 from 8.6
    to 9.21, the start time of my computer has increased to three
    one-quarter minutes -- even after buying and installing Start Doubler
    (which reduced the start time by about a minute.)

    For about a minute one-quarter during start-up, the only things showing
    on the monitor are the clock and the icon of the computer, and then
    suddenly all the other icons appear simultaneously, but now even after
    the icons and windows appear, I have no control over the computer for
    another 45 seconds. This didn't happen with O.S. 8.6.

    I have 321 megabytes of RAM and 21 gigabytes of free space.

    I turned off memory testing in the memory control panel.

    Could it be Tech Tool or Norton Antivirus? Tech Tool checks the computer
    diagnostically at startup, but it did that under O.S. 8.6, too, and it
    didn't take so long to start the computer then.

    Someone suggested checking my Network settings, but I don't know how to
    do this. I asked how to check the Network settings but no one answered.
    Tony Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to speed start of computer

    "Tony W." wrote:

    I checked my Servers folder and it's empty, so that couldn't be the problem.

    Tony
    Tony Guest

  3. #3

    >I turned off memory testing in the memory control panel.

    On some beige G3s, that does not actually disable the startup memory test. The
    Memory control panel will show that the startup test is disabled, but it isn't.

    Norton Antivirus can be configured to check the system at startup. If you have
    this option turned on, startup time is dramatically longer.

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com
    http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

    Tacit Guest

  4. #4

    Tony W. <com> wrote:

    If its a desktop system, just don't shut the computer down, put it
    to sleep. Problem solved.

    stan@temple.edu Guest

  5. #5

    Tacit wrote:

    > On some beige G3s, that does not actually disable the startup memory test. The
    > Memory control panel will show that the startup test is disabled, but it isn't.[/ref]

    So how could I stop memory testing?

    > Norton Antivirus can be configured to check the system at startup. If you have
    > this option turned on, startup time is dramatically longer.[/ref]

    My Norton Antivirus preferences are set to "Standard Protection", which
    means "Automatic scanning of programs, files, email attachments and
    files on the desktop". It doesn't say anything about scanning at startup.

    Thanks, Tacit.

    Tony
    Tony Guest

  6. #6

    >So how could I stop memory testing?

    On some beige G3s, you can't. It's a bug in the firmware; even though the
    Memory control panel shows it as being off, it's not.

    This probably means that it's scanning the System itself and the system's
    extensions as well; in Standard mode, it scans files as they are loaded.

    Try disabling Norton and see if your startup is faster. If it is, you'll know
    what's causing the slowdown.

  7. #7

    Tacit wrote:

    > On some beige G3s, you can't. It's a bug in the firmware; even though the
    > Memory control panel shows it as being off, it's not.[/ref]

    I don't think memory testing is the problem, because the start time was
    only half as long when I was still using O.S. 8.6. I recently 'upgraded'
    to 9.21 and the start time is now about three and-a-quarter minutes.

    > This probably means that it's scanning the System itself and the system's
    > extensions as well; in Standard mode, it scans files as they are loaded.
    >
    > Try disabling Norton and see if your startup is faster. If it is, you'll know
    > what's causing the slowdown.[/ref]

    It occurred to me that Norton Antivirus is unlikely to be causing the
    longer startups because I had Norton Antivirus set to "Standard
    Protection" when I was still using O.S. 8.6, and the start time was only
    half as long as it is now.

    What good would it do to disable Norton Antivirus anyway? I need it to
    be enabled at all times.

    Tony
    Tony Guest

  8. #8

    >What good would it do to disable Norton Antivirus anyway?

    Disable it and restart, just to time how long it takes. Then re-enable it.
    You'd have your answer about whether or not it's increasing your startup time.

    Considering how rare Mac viruses are, I doubt it's as pressing a need as you
    might think.

  9. #9

    In article <aol.com>,
    com (Tacit) wrote:

    > Disable it and restart, just to time how long it takes. Then re-enable it.
    > You'd have your answer about whether or not it's increasing your startup time.

    > Considering how rare Mac viruses are, I doubt it's as pressing a need as you
    > might think.[/ref]

    Don't know if this on MacOS X or not, but on MacOS 8 and 9, I put the
    Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect in the System Folder itself rather than
    the Extensions Folder. That way, it's loaded last and this speeds up
    the startup time.

    Michael Guest

  10. #10

    Tony W. <com> wrote:

    I'm curious to know why the startup time is such an issue for you.

    If you were using a PC instead of a Mac you would certainly need
    antivirus software, but Mac viruses are extremely rare.
    Sue Guest

  11. #11

    Sue Rodgers wrote:

    > I'm curious to know why the startup time is such an issue for you.[/ref]

    Obviously, time is valuable.

    I restart my computer four or five times every day.

    Another person wrote in this chain that his start time is one minute. It
    takes me two and-a-quarter minutes longer than that to start. If I start
    four or five times a day, that's about 10 more minutes every day spent
    waiting for the computer to start, compared to the other computer
    operator's start time.

    Ten minutes x 365 days = 3,650 minutes. That means I have to wait about
    60 hours longer for my computer to start every year than the other
    computer operator. That's a total of one and-a-half work weeks every
    year spent waiting for the damn, slow computer to start. Over a ten-year
    period, that equals 600 extra hours (15 40-hour work weeks) spent
    waiting for the computer to start than the guy whose computer starts in
    one minute.

    Would you want to wait for three and-a-quarter minutes for your T.V. to
    start, or three and-a-half minutes for your car to start after turning
    the key?

    I get the impression that you're retired or wealthy and therefore you
    don't have to work, or you have the patience of a saint or don't care
    about productivity. None of those situations apply to me.

    Tony
    Tony Guest

  12. #12

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:22:28 GMT,
    Tony W. (com) wrote:

    Very true.

    Wow. Why so often? I restart my computer maybe once in two weeks or
    less than that, or if Software Update tells me there is a new Security
    Update that has been applied. Right now, the uptimes on my various
    computers are:
    (linux pc)
    12:25pm up 19 days, 14:09, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
    (10.2.6 G4 desktop)
    12:26PM up 8 days, 2:06, 2 users, load averages: 0.53, 0.43, 0.46
    (10.2.6 G3 Pismo)
    12:27PM up 3 days, 2:34, 3 users, load averages: 1.05, 1.07, 0.86

    Under OS X, even if an application is misbehaving, you don't need to
    restart the computer. Just kill the offending application, and you'll
    be fine.

    Absolutely not. And I wouldn't have the patience to restart a computer
    five times a day either.

    I can't speak for Sue, but if you really want to save all that time, you
    shouldn't be restarting as often as you do. If you running OS 9 or lower,
    its time to move up to OS X, although even OS 9 shouldn't have to be
    restarted 5 times a day.

    Beverly
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev Guest

  13. #13

    edu eschewed 9/7/03 6:53 PM:

    > If its a desktop system, just don't shut the computer down, put it
    > to sleep. Problem solved.
    >[/ref]
    This is actually a *Super Tip* - and though alot of people
    are not aware - "booting-up" is often where much damage is done
    to both system hardware(i.,.e. hard drives.ect..) and also software
    and very often "system SW" of the Finder or System file themselves.!.

    This comparisson test has been performed many,many times
    and the electrical usage far out-weighs the costs of "lost boot-time"
    (just what the poster is on about) - and is more cost effective
    in the long run..even short term --- than repairs due to malfs
    during "cold boots".
    Look in the MacWorld.. MacAdddict.. it's been doented.
    Maybe this is a corny reference to some - but i watch Leo Laporte
    on the Tech TV channel near everday a little bit - "Screen Savers"
    and the "Call for Help" shows..and can sight where they ditto'd
    this very conclusion more than a dozen times.
    *LEAVE THE COMPUTER RUNNING* - * IT"S ..O>K>..!!! *
    That's what the biggest Pro's all state unequivocally..how about that.!?

    Cheers

    King Guest

  14. #14

    Sue Rodgers eschewed 9/10/03 7:45 AM:

    > I'm curious to know why the startup time is such an issue for you.[/ref]

    One other thing just remembered.. is using Connectix®"Start-up Doubler"
    atleast i believe it's Connectix's?? -- Made Speed Double..Ram Doubler.etc.
    They also make "anti-virus"SW.. and might point-out why not look
    at some other anti-virus app's while you're at it..?

    > If you were using a PC instead of a Mac you would certainly need
    > antivirus software, but Mac viruses are extremely rare.[/ref]

    Sublimely put Sue ; ) --- infact.? - the last real *Mac virus that
    i remember being any concern was the "auto-start virus".'member that one??
    Yeah h h.. .think that was back around "98.??.. maybe "99 ..last century???
    The only real need to run an anti virus program 24/7/52/1 is on a PeeCee
    on a Mac, for 10 minutes on any given Sunday aft..while watching the game
    THAT rare.!. MmHmm.. ,; ?)

    Cheers

    King Guest

  15. #15

    Bev A. Kupf eschewed 9/10/03 12:32 PM:

    > Very true.

    > Wow. Why so often? I restart my computer maybe once in two weeks or
    > less than that, or if Software Update tells me there is a new Security
    > Update that has been applied. Right now, the uptimes on my various
    > computers are:
    > (linux pc)
    > 12:25pm up 19 days, 14:09, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
    > (10.2.6 G4 desktop)
    > 12:26PM up 8 days, 2:06, 2 users, load averages: 0.53, 0.43, 0.46
    > (10.2.6 G3 Pismo)
    > 12:27PM up 3 days, 2:34, 3 users, load averages: 1.05, 1.07, 0.86
    >
    > Under OS X, even if an application is misbehaving, you don't need to
    > restart the computer. Just kill the offending application, and you'll
    > be fine.

    > Absolutely not. And I wouldn't have the patience to restart a computer
    > five times a day either.

    > I can't speak for Sue, but if you really want to save all that time, you
    > shouldn't be restarting as often as you do. If you running OS 9 or lower,
    > its time to move up to OS X, although even OS 9 shouldn't have to be
    > restarted 5 times a day.
    >
    > Beverly[/ref]
    All great points -- KUDO's.!!.. but there is one thing that might be
    mentioned that's still a bit unclear about the posters computer.

    It could be that it's running into "system heap build-up".
    This as everyone knows..is where things start loading terrible slow
    and performing like mollasses - and then finally..you are cornered
    by the "stacked heap" to where now only the mouse moves - nothing else.
    At that point you are forced to "re-boot" because it's the only way
    to reset the RAM..i.,.e...solve the "hitting the wall of heap" problem.
    Never-the-less.! -- by pressing KB commands >cntrl/cmnd/Pwr<
    a "re-start" (not re-boot) will take place and the Mac will be back
    to the desktop in less than 90secs..more like one minute.
    So the difference lies in not shutting the computer down completely
    and having to 'boot-up from scratch' -- only doing "..hot re-starts"
    is a MAJOR time saver..and much healthier for Mr. Mac too.

    Cheers

    King Guest

  16. #16

    "Bev A. Kupf" wrote:

    > Wow. Why so often?[/ref]

    Because I save energy when it's off.

    What does load average mean?

    Do you mean restarting the offending program?

    > Absolutely not. And I wouldn't have the patience to restart a computer
    > five times a day either.[/ref]

    > I can't speak for Sue, but if you really want to save all that time, you
    > shouldn't be restarting as often as you do. If you running OS 9 or lower,
    > its time to move up to OS X, although even OS 9 shouldn't have to be
    > restarted 5 times a day.
    >
    > Beverly[/ref]

    I just spent about one and-a-half weeks and hundreds of dollars
    'upgrading' from O.S. 8.6 to 9.21, and I'm still having problems (like
    this start time problem which was caused by 'upgrading' - or is ti
    sidegrading?). There's no way I'm going through all that aggravation
    (and money) to upgrade again already. (Ten times bitten, ten times shy.)
    Overall, I haven't noticed any improvement in the computer's function
    since I 'upgraded'. It actually seems to be worse overall.

    Also, part of the reason I have to restart so often is involuntary; the
    computer 'crashes' usually at least once a day, and sometimes a few
    times a day on average.

    Tony
    Tony Guest

  17. #17

    "Bev A. Kupf" wrote:

    > Very true.

    > Wow. Why so often?[/ref]

    I've found that they usually do this in a misguided attempt
    to save electric power, or in a misguided effort to prevent
    others from using the computer while they're gone.
    George Guest

  18. #18

    Tacit wrote:

    > Disable it and restart, just to time how long it takes. Then re-enable it.
    > You'd have your answer about whether or not it's increasing your startup time.[/ref]

    In Norton Antivirus, I checked on the "None" button for scanning and
    disabled Norton Antivirus Auto-Protect extension and restarted, but it
    still took three and-a-half minutes to start the computer after that.

    > Considering how rare Mac viruses are, I doubt it's as pressing a need as you
    > might think.[/ref]

    I'm skeptical about that. A lot of weird and spooky things happen to my
    computer and if worries me.

    For example, I noticed recently that my Norton Antivirus control panel
    wasn't actually a control panel. It was actually an alias, and when I
    clicked on it, it all it did was to open Norton Antivirus.

    Then, suddenly, yesterday, the Norton Antivirus 'control panel'
    disappeared from the Extensions Manager (although it still shows up in
    the control panels folder.

    Tony
    Tony Guest

  19. #19

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 18:28:27 GMT,
    George Williams (com) wrote:

    I cannot comment on whether it is misguided, but that certainly
    seems to be Tony's rationale -- saving power by turning it off and
    back on five times a day. I personally wouldn't do that. I think
    it increases wear and tear on various components (especially the
    drives) to be powered up and down that often, but they're his
    computers and he pays his electricity bills, so he should do as
    he feels comfortable ......

    Beverly
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev Guest

  20. #20

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 18:24:54 GMT,
    Tony W. (com) wrote:

    >> Wow. Why so often?[/ref]
    >
    > Because I save energy when it's off.[/ref]

    I won't comment on that other than to say that I believe your
    efforts are misguided especially if you need to turn your computer
    on five times a day. But its your computer, and you pay your
    electricity bills, so its your call.

    > What does load average mean?[/ref]

    The load average indicates the average number of processes waiting
    to be serviced in the run queue in the last 1, 5 and 15 minutes. A
    higher load average number indicates a higher system load. So a load
    average of 1 indicates that there is one process at that moment of time
    queued up for the processor.

    > Do you mean restarting the offending program?[/ref]

    Not exactly. I mean ending the process associated with the misbehaving
    application by sending it the kill signal (SIGKILL, 9). You could
    restart the application after it is killed.

    Why did it cost you that much? My upgrade from 8.6 to 9.2 didn't
    cost me anything beyond purchasing a 9.0 CD. All my 8.6 applications
    ran fine under 9.0 (and 9.2.1, and the one application that I still
    use under OS X, runs fine under Classic - 9.2.2).

    Beverly
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev Guest