Professional Web Applications Themes

How to UN-combine paths in Photoshop???? - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

I have several individual closed paths that I "combined" in Photoshop 6. Now, when I select one of these paths by clicking on a path segment with the white path arrow, and then click on "paths" tab, then "make selection" - - - all of the previously combined paths become selected. I want ONLY the path element that I click on with the white arrow to be selected. How can I temporarily UN-combine these paths so I can make individual selections? Thanks a ton as usual for your wealth of knowledge...and have a great day....

  1. #1

    Default How to UN-combine paths in Photoshop????

    Tom_Walace@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to UN-combine paths in Photoshop????

    How exactly did you combine your paths? I'm not sure what you mean by that.

    ~Em
    Emma_d_Anise@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I used my "path component selection" tool (black arrow) and selected two different, closed paths and then went to the available buttons in the header on top of the adobe page and clicked on the "add to shape area (+) button, then selected the "combine" button.

    That made both of the path shapes a "combined path" that moved together instead of separately.

    So now, I'm trying to figure out how to "un-combine' these two path shapes so that I can move them around independently again?!

    Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Tom_Walace@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    So you didn't save the paths independently in the paths palette? Hm... You know, I don't think I ever combine paths in PS. Anyone?
    Emma_d_Anise@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    If you have Illustrator, you could export paths to Illustrator and break them apart in that program. Maybe there is a way in PS, but I never do complicated paths in PS.
    Philo_Calhoun@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    From memory without verifying in photoshop, but using other vector knowlwdge...;

    When you combine paths (vector shapes) you are creating 1 vector shape by definition. There is No way to UNcombine the paths. I.e. they exist a points with relationships between them (not GROUPS/SETS of points, per path).

    Vector programs may let you select a range of points and then slice them off into a new path/vector shape. But for overlapping paths the result will not be what the seperate vector shapes were before.

    Combining is diffrent from GROUPing. Where the 2 or more path/vector shapes still are treated as 2 diffrent vectors by definition. Its just that all operation afffect both in all ways..eg. move rotate etc.

    So maybe you can select a range of points (enough to define the path to slice off) and do a copy and paste to a new path. Or maybe duplicate the combined path and on one duplicate select and delete one path, and in the otehr copy select and delete the other path.
    hot_denim@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    "I used my "path component selection" tool (black arrow) and selected two different, closed paths and then went to the available buttons in the header on top of the adobe page and clicked on the "add to shape area (+) button, then selected the "combine" button."

    Don't do that any more.

    Use the hollow arrow to select and individual path in a group, you then need to go around that path and, while keeping the shift key down through the entire process, select each node point so that it show filled (selected) until the entire path element has filled point, then cut, command-X, create a new path, select it, then paste that element onto it new individual path. You will need to reposition it correctly also.

    I would just cut the entire path and paste it in Illustrator and ungroup it there then repaste.

    Don't paint yourself into corners is the rule.

    : )
    Ken_Nielsen_@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Tom,

    You can select one of the path shapes with Direct Selection Tool
    (white arrow) and press Ctrl + X (cut) and Ctrl + V (paste).
    Then they're not combined anymore.

    --
    Regards
    Madsen.