Professional Web Applications Themes

how to undo 'create outlines' on text - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

How do I Un-do 'create outlines' to the text? I created outlines before saving as PDF for printing. Now I need to undo this. InDesign will not allow me to 'revert' to last saved version. The file has been closed and re-opened, computer has been shut down and re-started. Any solutions? URGENT - thanks - ron...

  1. #1

    Default how to undo 'create outlines' on text

    r.g._taylor@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: how to undo 'create outlines' on text

    You'll have to go back to an earlier version of the file, if it exists. If the file was closed, there's no chance of restoring the outlines. It's like trying to restore an egg after it's already scrambled!
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Steve
    Thanks for the response. . . . Not what I wanted to hear,but at least I can stop trying to push this rock up the hill again and again. . . . Now I can put the time into rebuilding the files. Yes, they were the only copies. DRATs

    tx
    rt
    r.g._taylor@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Also, it sounds like it was your printer who steered you wrong. If you create a PDF file, there's no need to outline fonts. Fonts are automatically embedded in InDesign, and no outlining is necessary. It's a waste of time, and it can subtly degrade the quality of the type because of the loss of hinting.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    You could always have the best of both worlds. Select "convert Fonts to Outline" in the transparency flattener when postscrripting or exporting. This gives a better result when compared to manually converting. It does however require some element of transparency on the page to force the text through the flattener. If the doc is transparency free, create a small white box and set it to multiply, thus causing transparency.

    As for supplying pages to magazine publishers, try sending it via Quickcut (quickcut.com). If the magazine doesn't have Quickcut, point them to the website.
    Fraser_Edward_Crozier@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    save the file as a .pdf and then go to Edit>Select All, and it will say, this doent contains no text, would you like adobe to run a character ysis...click ok and the text will be highlighted, then just copy and paste that text into illustrator and design as needed :)
    Unregistered Guest

  7. #7

    If creating outlines is a waste of time, why would adobe include it as an option? Actually, it is
    necessary to create outlines in some cases, but you're the professional and should know this.
    Lysander Guest

  8. #8

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Werneradobeforums.com View Post
    You'll have to go back to an earlier version of the file, if it exists. If the file was closed, there's no chance of restoring the outlines. It's like trying to restore an egg after it's already scrambled!
    Chuck Norris can unscramble an egg. Therefore he might also be able to restore outlines to text.
    Roundhouse Guest

  9. #9

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    save the file as a .pdf and then go to Edit>Select All, and it will say, this doent contains no text, would you like adobe to run a character ysis...click ok and the text will be highlighted, then just copy and paste that text into illustrator and design as needed :)
    Whomever you are, you just saved me SOOO much work!! Thank you Thank you!
    Unregistered Guest