Professional Web Applications Themes

How to upload image to database? - Dreamweaver AppDev

I am re-doing a site for a friend and have hit a wall. How do I upload an image from a user's computer directley into a database? I have done several hours of searching and so far have found a couple of extensions/programs (at $100+) that will do this, a few articles written for ASP coders (rather not switch to ASP) and learned that the ASP.net insert record will not work with binary data. I realize that S.O.P would be to store the link or name of the image in the database but my friend works about 90% of the ...

  1. #1

    Default How to upload image to database?

    I am re-doing a site for a friend and have hit a wall.

    How do I upload an image from a user's computer directley into a database?

    I have done several hours of searching and so far have found a couple of
    extensions/programs (at $100+) that will do this, a few articles written for
    ASP coders (rather not switch to ASP) and learned that the ASP.net insert
    record will not work with binary data.

    I realize that S.O.P would be to store the link or name of the image in the
    database but my friend works about 90% of the time offline and needs access to
    the images on our site for submissions (she owns a talent agency). For this
    reason I was going to te the database, allowing her to sychronize the
    database and have the most current info.

    If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appriciated.
    I would prefer to use Dreamweaver's design tools but if I need to code I will.

    red1984 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to upload image to database?

    > a few articles written for
    > ASP coders (rather not switch to ASP) and learned that the ASP.net insert
    > record will not work with binary data.

    Rather not switch to ASP from WHAT? What server model are you using now?

    --
    Nancy Gill
    Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX/UltraDev

    Nancy Gill Guest

  3. #3

    have a look at ASPUPLOAD by Persist. you need the script to be on your server
    as well.

    Most Hosts have some third party upload availible on their servers. have you
    signed up to a host yet? if you have ask their support team what upload methods
    they have.

    Don Pacino Guest

  4. #4

  5. #5

    Sorry about the last incomplete post. I hit the wrong key.

    Rather not switch to ASP from WHAT? What server model are you using now?

    I have been using FrontPage and am just learning DreamWeaver. Have 20+ years
    experience with computers/programming and am a quick study. Have been told if
    I am going to learn a server language (in addition to html) then ASP.NET or
    ColdFusion is the way to go. I would rather use Dreamweaver's built in
    functionality to build my solution but if it can only be done by coding then
    that's what I'll do. Had created an upload form in Dreamweaver using ASP.net
    (which is how I found out I couldn't insert an image into my database).
    >Most Hosts have some third party upload available on their servers. have you
    signed up to a host yet? if you have ask their support team what upload methods
    they have.

    The site host has no method for anyone other than the admin to upload images
    through the Vdeck control panel or you would need an ftp program on your
    computer. Can't give our talent access to the Admin control panel or expect
    them to have their own ftp program. For ease of use I would create an upload
    form they would access from their browser, allowing them to choose an image and
    submit.

    red1984 Guest