Professional Web Applications Themes

How to use iMac restore CDs on B&W? - Mac Applications & Software

I recently bought a legal set of CDs for a recent iMac that included Jaguar and the iMac bundled apps on SW Restore CDs. The Jag install went fine. However, when trying to use the Restore CDs, the install app launches and I get an error saying it's the wrong CD for this computer (which indeed, it is). Any workaround? Thanks, Pat...

  1. #1

    Default How to use iMac restore CDs on B&W?

    I recently bought a legal set of CDs for a recent iMac that included
    Jaguar and the iMac bundled apps on SW Restore CDs. The Jag install
    went fine. However, when trying to use the Restore CDs, the install
    app launches and I get an error saying it's the wrong CD for this
    computer (which indeed, it is).

    Any workaround?

    Thanks,

    Pat
    lost in space Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: How to use iMac restore CDs on B&W?

    On 13/07/03 7:19 AM, in article
    [email]gwestonREMOVE-6E32AB.15195612072003netnews.attbi.com[/email], "Gregory Weston"
    <gwestonREMOVECAPSattbi.com> wrote:
    > In article <7ea39ea8.0307120736.26e35178posting.google.com >,
    > [email]ibarakicho[/email] (lost in space) wrote:
    >
    >> I recently bought a legal set of CDs for a recent iMac that included
    >> Jaguar and the iMac bundled apps on SW Restore CDs. The Jag install
    >> went fine. However, when trying to use the Restore CDs, the install
    >> app launches and I get an error saying it's the wrong CD for this
    >> computer (which indeed, it is).
    >>
    >> Any workaround?
    >
    > No.
    You could try Pacifist.

    [url]http://www.charlessoft.com/[/url]

    John Webster Guest

  4. #4

  5. #5

    Thanks very much. I'll certainly give it a shot.

    Pat

  6. #6

  7. #7

    [email]ibarakicho[/email] (lost in space) writes:

    > I recently bought a legal set of CDs for a recent iMac that included
    > Jaguar and the iMac bundled apps on SW Restore CDs. The Jag install
    > went fine. However, when trying to use the Restore CDs, the install
    > app launches and I get an error saying it's the wrong CD for this
    > computer (which indeed, it is).
    >
    > Any workaround?
    Only one that I can think of.

    If your SW restore CDs is like the ones that came with my G4 tower,
    each disc contains a piece of a disk image. This image is an image of
    the factory default hard drive.

    Drag all the pieces from the CDs into a common folder. Once they're
    there, double-click the .dmg file to mount it or use Disk Burner to
    burn it to a DVD (if you have a DVD burner).

    You can drag the apps off of the mounted disk. But there may be more
    to the app than the file/folder under /Applications. There may be
    files in /Library, /Library/Preferences, or elsewhere.

    I would _NOT_ try simply imaging your hard drive with the contents of
    that image, since the system software on it is designed for one
    particular model Mac. It may not work reliably (or at all) if booted
    on some other model Mac.

    -- David
    David C. Guest

  8. #8