Professional Web Applications Themes

how/where to install xyz.pm from CPAN (no perl Makefile.PL; make;make test; make install)?? - PERL Beginners

Hi; I see several very interesting CPAN modules regarding Rational/IBM ClearCase. These are just *.pm files. How/where do I install these? I have root privs. I want the modules to be available in the standard place(s). I guess I should just look at the %INC hash and place it in a "good" location? A more general question along the lines of "giving me a fishing pole" instead of "giving me a fish"...I can go to (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=perl.beginners) to search for archived postings, but what meaningful search string would I provide in order to obtain answers pertinent to my question above? I ...

  1. #1

    Default how/where to install xyz.pm from CPAN (no perl Makefile.PL; make;make test; make install)??

    Hi;

    I see several very interesting CPAN modules regarding Rational/IBM
    ClearCase. These are just *.pm files. How/where do I install these? I
    have root privs. I want the modules to be available in the standard
    place(s). I guess I should just look at the %INC hash and place it in a
    "good" location?

    A more general question along the lines of "giving me a fishing pole"
    instead of "giving me a fish"...I can go to
    (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=perl.beginners)
    to search for archived postings, but what meaningful search string would
    I provide in order to obtain answers pertinent to my question above?

    I have the 3rd edition of the camel book and refer to it frequently.
    I have several other perl books (mostly O'Reilly) as well. I don't
    remember seeing this topic addressed.

    Thanks,
    Ken
    Ken Guest

  2. #2

    On 10/11/2004 11:01 PM, Ken Wolcott wrote:

    In general, you should never manually drop in modules. Is there no
    Makefile.PL or Build.PL file with the module? If not and it is on CPAN,
    the author should have his or her $$ kicked. =)

    What module(s) are you looking at?

    Randy.

    Randy Guest

  3. #3

    Randy W. Sims wrote:

    > In general, you should never manually drop in modules. Is there no
    > Makefile.PL or Build.PL file with the module? If not and it is on
    > CPAN, the author should have his or her $$ kicked. =)
    >
    > What module(s) are you looking at?
    >
    > Randy.[/ref]

    Hi Randy;

    That was a real bozo question of mine :-(

    I'm in a desperate rush to completely rewrite one of my build scripts
    as I have "scripted myself into a corner" :-(

    I can't seem to use a Perl CPAN XML module in conjunction with
    ClearCase, as I did not see the ClearCase Perl modules on CPAN until
    today, and the ClearCase commands I was calling where in a setview exec
    mode (trying to call bash for simplicity as I did not want to
    autogenerate perl to be run later). If I then try to call the Perl
    XML:Simple module in bash (that won't work!), I then am writing a perl
    script, which autogenerates bash, which then calls a perl program to do
    XML, which by then I have lost the ClearCase setview exec context :-(
    Now I need to have this done by noon on Wednesday as I have to make a
    ClearCase label build using an Perl XML module in order to view/modify
    version strings in an XML file that is in ClearCase...

    One example (did this with four modules):

    http://search.cpan.org/
    enter ClearCase into the search box and press the search button
    choose the first entry in the response which is
    http://search.cpan.org/~dsb/ClearCase-Argv-1.18/Argv.pm
    now select the "Source" button near the top

    I thought that this would provide the source of the module, not the
    source of the *.pm file that the POD was showing :-)

    What I should have done:
    http://search.cpan.org/
    enter ClearCase into the search box and press the search button
    choose the first entry in the response which is
    http://search.cpan.org/~dsb/ClearCase-Argv-1.18/Argv.pm
    click on the module name, which is:
    http://search.cpan.org/~dsb/ClearCase-Argv-1.18/
    Now I can select the compressed tarball :-)

    I have now installed all four of the most likely suspects in the
    "proper" manner (perl Makefile.PL, make, make test, make install)...

    :-)

    Ken

    Ken Guest