Professional Web Applications Themes

Hoya Filters - Photography

I get the impression from your some what long-winded post that you are a fan of MC'ed filters, right? personally I feel that using the correct lens hoods on all my lenses is better than any filter for preventing unwanted reflected light causing flare, to each his own though. "Bandicoot" <"insert_handle_here"techemail.com> wrote in message news:1057942814.88927.3demeter.uk.clara.net... > "Joseph Kewfi" <Joe_KewfiNOSPAMiol.ie> wrote in message > news:behlej$gl0$1dorito.esatclear.ie... > [SNIP] > > I personally don't believe MC makes a > > squat of difference only to the manufacturers profit margin. All modern > > lenses are MC'ed anyway nowadays. > > This seems a ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Hoya Filters

    I get the impression from your some what long-winded post that you are a fan
    of MC'ed filters, right?
    personally I feel that using the correct lens hoods on all my lenses is
    better than any filter for preventing unwanted reflected light causing
    flare, to each his own though.

    "Bandicoot" <"insert_handle_here"techemail.com> wrote in message
    > "Joseph Kewfi" <Joe_KewfiNOSPAMiol.ie> wrote in message
    > [SNIP]
    > > I personally don't believe MC makes a
    > > squat of difference only to the manufacturers profit margin. All modern
    > > lenses are MC'ed anyway nowadays.
    >
    > This seems a non sequiter. True a well coated lens will deal better with
    > reflection internally, but light reflected by an un/single coated filter
    > back into the light path will appear to the lens as the same as image
    > forming light, and no amount of lens coating will then reject it. There
    > will be less such non-image forming light reflected off the front element
    of
    > the lens if it has an effective coating, but why would I want to allow
    _any_
    > such light to be re-reflected off the back of a cheap filter and into the
    > image path?
    >
    > The fact that part of the image forming system is coated doesn't mean that
    > it is fine to add another part that is not: coating works best when it is
    > applied to the whole system.
    >
    > Whetehr the difference is enough to matter to your chosen standards and
    with
    > the type of photography you do is another matter: these are your choices.
    > But it is illogical to assume that a well coated lens negates the need for
    > well coated filter (just as those who think the flare rejection of a poor
    > lens is improved by the addition of a top class filter are also deluding
    > themselves.)
    >

    > Peter

    Joseph Kewfi Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: MC vs coated lens surprises Re: Hoya Filters

    > I am not a fan of multicoated filters as they are overpriced, overhyped,
    > and overly hard to clean.
    Agreed.

    "Bob Monaghan" <rmonaghaengr.smu.edu> wrote in message
    > unless you have direct backlighted subject, it is pretty unlikely you
    > could see the differences between coated and multicoated lenses, let alone
    > a single clean filter element, see tests reported at
    > [url]http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/coatings.html[/url]
    >
    > quoting:
    > "Canon should also be lauded for its attitude towards multicoating. They
    > have publicly acknowledged that the only really useful reason for
    > multi-layer coatings is to increase light transmission. They have,
    > therefore, ignored any possible gains in terms of flare and ghost
    > elimination (which, as we've shown, isn't really such a valid function of
    > multicoatings in most cases), and instead, they have concentrated on
    > improving light transmission with their Super Spectra Coating." [Source:
    > Multi-Coating, Asset or Gimmick, Bennett Sherman and Hiroshi Kimata,
    > Modern Photography, June 1975, p.147 endquote
    >
    > and quote:
    > Using a very precise laboratory yzer.. we could detect virtually no
    > measurable difference in background flare between the single-coated and
    > the multicoated lenses. And in our portraits, which were shot against the
    > same backlit screen used by our yzer, we could detect no difference in
    > flare within transparencies produced by single- and multicoated leness
    > (see photographs, page 93)! ...[Ibid., p. 134] endquote
    >
    > so how much of a difference do you think a Multicoated filter vs coated
    > filter is going to make, if seven element lenses with a dozen air-glass
    > surfaces don't show any differences, even to a "very precise" lab
    > yzer? ;-)
    >
    > I am not a fan of multicoated filters as they are overpriced, overhyped,
    > and overly hard to clean.
    >
    > grins bobm
    > --
    > ************************************************** *********************
    > * Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *
    > ********************Standard Disclaimers Apply*************************

    Joseph Kewfi Guest

  3. #3

    [email]rmonaghaengr.smu.edu[/email] (Bob Monaghan) wrote:
    >I am not a fan of multicoated filters as they are overpriced, overhyped,
    >and overly hard to clean.

    Only if you buy "cheap" multi-coated filters such as Hoya.

    There is *nothing* that is 'difficult to clean' about B+W, Heliopan,
    Nikon and most other camera-brand multi-coated filters. To suggest
    otherwise is a myth.

    Personally, I buy my B+W and Heliopan multi-coated filters direct from
    Germany at a cost that is significantly lower than the UK street price
    of Hoya HMC filters. So I pay less *and* have no cleaning problems.

    T P Guest

  4. #4

    >Personally, I buy my B+W and Heliopan multi-coated filters direct from
    > Germany at a cost that is significantly lower than the UK street price
    > of Hoya HMC filters.
    Tony, you wouldn't by any chance- fancy buying mine as well for me would you
    ;-)

  5. #5

    "Joseph Kewfi" <Joe_KewfiNOSPAMiol.ie> wrote:
    >Tony, you wouldn't by any chance- fancy buying mine as well for me would you
    >;-)

    No, but you can get the same prices on German eBay.

    [url]http://www.eBay.de/[/url]

    As Ireland has had the great sense to join the
    Euro, you should encounter far fewer problems
    with paying for them than I do, thanks to that
    silly anachronism we call the Pound Sterling!

    T P Guest

  6. #6

    "Joseph Kewfi" <Joe_KewfiNOSPAMiol.ie> wrote:

    >Don't worry Tony, very soon probably within 2 years the UK will be part of
    >Euroland me thinks.

    With Tony Bliar's current rapid decline to the status of a war
    criminal, and the opposition of both his probable successors (Brown
    and Duncan-Smith) to joining the Euro, I think the change of the UK
    joining Euroland in this decade is a lot less than 50/50 ...

    But I wish you were right ... and I hope that the "Little Englander"
    gets scrapped along with the pound!

    T P Guest

  7. #7

    > Don't worry Tony, very soon probably within 2 years the UK will be part of
    > Euroland me thinks.

    You really believe that the bunch of inept clowns in Westminster we so
    laughingly call a government can turn public opinion around in less than 2
    years ?

    Your naiveté is touching (either that or you've been at the Guinness a
    little too much)

    Tony Parkinson Guest

  8. #8

    You are the naive one, since when do politicians give a e about public
    opinion ?
    The Blair government has already made its decision to join Euroland, whether
    they rig the vote or ask the voters an obscure question deliberately- the
    goverment will get the result it wants.

    "Tony Parkinson" <nospamnewsrepliesphotoshot.com> wrote in message
    > "Joseph Kewfi" <Joe_KewfiNOSPAMiol.ie> wrote in message
    > > Don't worry Tony, very soon probably within 2 years the UK will be part
    of
    > > Euroland me thinks.
    > >
    > You really believe that the bunch of inept clowns in Westminster we so
    > laughingly call a government can turn public opinion around in less than 2
    > years ?
    >
    > Your naiveté is touching (either that or you've been at the Guinness a
    > little too much)

    Joseph Kewfi Guest

  9. #9

    "Joseph Kewfi" <Joe_KewfiNOSPAMiol.ie> wrote:
    >The Blair government has already made its decision to join Euroland

    First, you should perhaps acquaint yourself with which faction of the
    Parliamentary Labour Party favours Euro entry in the next 2-4 years,
    and which doesn't - there's even a sizeable faction that says "Never".

    Predict which faction(s) is/are in the ascendancy and which are in
    decline. Project this to the probable time of the next General
    Election and factor in the increasing public unpopularity of the
    Labour Party as a whole. Throw all this into the Wok and simmer over
    a low heat for the next two years.

    Stir in the unpredictable seasoning known as "IDS" (Ian Duncan-Smith)
    and the even more unpredictable factors of voters' apathy - and their
    ability to remember what a mess the Tories were in last time. Briefly
    bring to the boil and simmer over a low heat again.

    By this time it should have become clear that the anti-Euro factions
    of the Labour Party will have risen to the top, and the Blairites will
    have formed a stodgy, festering mess somewhere you don't really want
    to look.

    The fickle millions known as the electorate will then have their
    choice. It's between Gordon Brown's Labour Party, who are promising a
    "definite maybe" for the foreseeable future (and probably a few
    Parliaments beyond that) and Ian Duncan-Smith's Tories, who not only
    say "Never" to the Euro but will only stay in the European Union if it
    is significantly changed in accord with their demands.

    If somewhere out of that mess you can see the slightest possibility of
    Britain joining the Euro before 2010, then I wish you luck!

    ;-)

    T P Guest

  10. #10

    O yee of little faith. Britain will be part of Euroland by 2005-2006, or
    I'll eat my Nikkors.

    > "Joseph Kewfi" <Joe_KewfiNOSPAMiol.ie> wrote:
    >
    > >The Blair government has already made its decision to join Euroland
    >

    > First, you should perhaps acquaint yourself with which faction of the
    > Parliamentary Labour Party favours Euro entry in the next 2-4 years,
    > and which doesn't - there's even a sizeable faction that says "Never".
    >
    > Predict which faction(s) is/are in the ascendancy and which are in
    > decline. Project this to the probable time of the next General
    > Election and factor in the increasing public unpopularity of the
    > Labour Party as a whole. Throw all this into the Wok and simmer over
    > a low heat for the next two years.
    >
    > Stir in the unpredictable seasoning known as "IDS" (Ian Duncan-Smith)
    > and the even more unpredictable factors of voters' apathy - and their
    > ability to remember what a mess the Tories were in last time. Briefly
    > bring to the boil and simmer over a low heat again.
    >
    > By this time it should have become clear that the anti-Euro factions
    > of the Labour Party will have risen to the top, and the Blairites will
    > have formed a stodgy, festering mess somewhere you don't really want
    > to look.
    >
    > The fickle millions known as the electorate will then have their
    > choice. It's between Gordon Brown's Labour Party, who are promising a
    > "definite maybe" for the foreseeable future (and probably a few
    > Parliaments beyond that) and Ian Duncan-Smith's Tories, who not only
    > say "Never" to the Euro but will only stay in the European Union if it
    > is significantly changed in accord with their demands.
    >
    > If somewhere out of that mess you can see the slightest possibility of
    > Britain joining the Euro before 2010, then I wish you luck!
    >
    > ;-)

    Joseph Kewfi Guest

  11. #11

    "Joseph Kewfi" <Joe_KewfiNOSPAMiol.ie> wrote:

    >O yee of little faith. Britain will be part of Euroland by 2005-2006, or
    >I'll eat my Nikkors.

    lol!!!

    You can expect to be held to that! I will travel
    to Ireland with my camera to record the event!

    ;-)

    T P Guest

  12. #12

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 23:27:49 +0200, Andrew Price <fr>
    wrote:

    >Don't hold your breath. I suspect they'll have found the Weapons of
    >Mass Destruction before that ever happens ...[/ref]

    Yeah... even if the WMD turn out to be toilet cleaner in one of
    Saddam's palaces.

    Avogadro
    Avogadro Guest

  13. #13