Professional Web Applications Themes

HP Jet Direct Stuck Jobs Kill Printer. - Linux / Unix Administration

Hello. We've been having in issue on a few printers where a large print job will stop printing, and then the printer becomes unusable for a considerable amount of time (30+ minutes). We've been able to reproduce the error by sending a large job to the printer and then pulling the power... initiating a paper jam.. The result is a job in the queue that holds up all the incomming print jobs. Cancelling this job will allow the print jobs to come through. Is there a reason that these jobs are not automatically restarted once the printer comes back on ...

  1. #1

    Default HP Jet Direct Stuck Jobs Kill Printer.

    Hello.

    We've been having in issue on a few printers where a large print job
    will stop printing, and then the printer becomes unusable for a
    considerable amount of time (30+ minutes). We've been able to reproduce
    the error by sending a large job to the printer and then pulling the
    power... initiating a paper jam.. The result is a job in the queue that
    holds up all the incomming print jobs. Cancelling this job will allow
    the print jobs to come through.

    Is there a reason that these jobs are not automatically restarted once
    the printer comes back on line? More importantly, is there a way to
    resolve the issue other than manually cancelling the stuck jobs?

    Thanks for any help you can provide.

    Luke MacNeil -

    Luke Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: HP Jet Direct Stuck Jobs Kill Printer.

    On 3 Nov 2005 08:20:29 -0800, Luke MacNeil wrote:

    You might get an answer if you provide the following informations:
    - What kind of printer (maker/modell)
    - How is this printer connected to your print spooler
    (serial/parallel/network)
    - Which UNIX(like) operating system are you using
    - What printspooler are you using (CUPS/LPRng/whatever comes with your
    OS/...)
    - What is "large", what is it and how does "large" relate to the printer
    memory.

    Other than that I would suggest you try to figure out the root cause - the
    printer stopping amidst a job. This should not happen in the first place.

    Helmut

    --
    Almost everything in life is easier to get into than out of.
    (Agnes' Law)

  3. #3

    Its an HP4050
    The printer is connected via a Jetdirect box... (ethernet)
    Running Solaris 8.
    I'm not sure what the printspooler is... how do I tell? I'm using the
    solaris lp/lpstat/cancel commands to work with the queue.
    Large meaning enough pages for me to start the job and walk over to
    pull the plug...
    The root cause is that the printer stops printing.. may it be paper
    jam, out of paper, power failure....Wrong paper size...

    My issue is that the spooler does not restart printing the job, and it
    holds up the queue until it is manually cancelled.

    Thank you for your response.

    Luke.

    Luke Guest

  4. #4

    Luke MacNeil wrote:

    That does answer the question. If you don't know what other
    spooler you're using then given those commands it is the
    out-of-box System 5 spooler that comes by default on Solaris.

    Look in /var/lp, /var/spool/lp, /usr/lib/lp for assorted scripts,
    binaries, config files, pipes, queuing directories and so on.
    One interesting thing to find is the directory under /var/spool/lp
    that stores the binary being printed and the current page
    offset. The small file that stores the page offset does allow
    for partial print jobs on restart given reading a ton of man
    pages.

    On that size printer we're talking 20+ pages.

    You're confusing root cause with effect. The printer stops
    printing, that's the effect. Paper jam, out of paper, power
    failure, that's the root cause. Which one triggers the problem
    or do all of them?

    Doug Guest

  5. #5

    >You're confusing root cause with effect. The printer stops

    All of them trigger the current job to stay in the queue until its
    manually cancelled.

    Thank you, I'm going to spend some time on this today, I'll let you
    know if I find anything.

    Thanks again for your help,

    Luke.

    Luke Guest

  6. #6

    I recieved this message today:

    The printer MFG1_9000 has stopped printing for the reason given below.
    Fix the problem and bring the printer back on line.
    Printing has stopped, but will be restarted in a few minutes; issue an
    enable command if you want to restart sooner.
    Unless someone issues a change request

    lp -i MFG1_9000-4762 -P ...

    to change the page list to print, the current request will be reprinted
    from the beginning.

    The reason(s) it stopped (multiple reasons indicate repeated attempts):

    exec exit fault

    I have never seen this message before. Although the print job started
    again on its own, I dont know how long it took to do so..Is there a log
    file that would hold that information somewhere?

    Luke Guest

  7. #7

    "lpsched" 6 lines, 286 characters
    11/08 07:06:26: printer fault. type: mail root, status: c
    msg: (hpnpf (read bytes from socket): Connection reset by peer)
    11/08 07:06:31: printer fault. type: mail root, status: 14
    msg: (exec exit fault)
    11/08 07:07:35: printer fault. type: mail root, status: 14
    msg: (exec exit fault)

    This is the /var/lp/lpsched log.. but it doesn't say when printing
    resumed.. the same error twice in one minute..

    Luke Guest