Professional Web Applications Themes

HP LJ 1100 setup - FreeBSD

Any ideas on how to setup an HPLJ 1100 using either cups or lpd? -- Best regards, Chris RACF is a four letter word....

  1. #1

    Default HP LJ 1100 setup

    Any ideas on how to setup an HPLJ 1100 using either cups or lpd?

    --
    Best regards,
    Chris

    RACF is a four letter word.
    Chris Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: HP LJ 1100 setup

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, Chris wrote:

    Try Andreas' GREAT printer port, print/apsfilter, which is one of hte best
    things in ports. How come it's so completly unknown?

    Heck, he even has a web site for it, www.apsfilter.org. Really, it's THAT
    good!

    Chuck Robey | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
    org | electronics, communications, and SF/Fantasy.

    New Year's Resolution: I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
    fictitious words in the dictionary (on the wall at my old fraternity,
    Signa Phi Nothing).
    Chuck Guest

  3. #3

    Chuck Robey wrote:

    > Try Andreas' GREAT printer port, print/apsfilter, which is one of hte best
    > things in ports. How come it's so completly unknown?
    >
    > Heck, he even has a web site for it, www.apsfilter.org. Really, it's THAT
    > good!
    >[/ref]

    Naaa - not with this one it don't. Nuffin but blank pages on every setup
    I try.

    --
    Best regards,
    Chris

    Build a system that even a fool can use,
    and only a fool will use it.
    Chris Guest

  4. #4

    Chris wrote:

    >>Try Andreas' GREAT printer port, print/apsfilter, which is one of hte best
    >>things in ports. How come it's so completly unknown?
    >>
    >>Heck, he even has a web site for it, www.apsfilter.org. Really, it's THAT
    >>good!
    >>

    >>[/ref]
    >
    >Naaa - not with this one it don't. Nuffin but blank pages on every setup
    >I try.
    >
    >[/ref]

    Well, there's a reason. You do have to read some docs*. What's the
    log say? I tend to agree that apsfilter is PDG, for most values of P, D,
    and G="Good"....

    Kevin Kinsey

    *I'm not necessarily implying that you didn't, but maybe you didn't
    read it all, or the right one, or misread something ... IIRC I skipped
    over something pretty important first try, also....
    Kevin Guest

  5. #5

    org wrote:

    >> Try Andreas' GREAT printer port, print/apsfilter, which is one of
    >> hte best things in ports. How come it's so completly unknown?
    >>
    >> Heck, he even has a web site for it, www.apsfilter.org. Really, it's
    >> THAT good!
    >>[/ref]
    >
    > Naaa - not with this one it don't. Nuffin but blank pages on every
    > setup I try.[/ref]

    OK, according to the following:

    http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/printer.htm

    Ghostscript supports the HP1100 directly. So there's no need to deal
    with the other printer drivers, which should make it easy for you.

    Since you already installed apsfilter (which is unnecessary BTW) just
    run the following:

    gs -?

    This will spew out a list of devices that your version of Ghostscript
    has installed. For example:

    $ gs -?
    GNU Ghostscript 7.07 (2003-05-17)
    Copyright (C) 2003 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA. All rights reserved.
    Usage: gs [switches] [file1.ps file2.ps ...]
    Most frequently used switches: (you can use # in place of =)
    -dNOPAUSE no pause after page | -q `quiet', fewer
    messages
    resolution
    -sDEVICE=<devname> select device | -dBATCH exit after last
    file
    -sOutputFile=<file> select output file: - for stdout, |command for pipe,
    embed %d or %ld for page #
    Input formats: PostScript PostScriptLevel1 PostScriptLevel2 PDF
    Default output device: x11
    Available devices:
    bbox bit bitcmyk bitrgb bmp16 bmp16m bmp256 bmp32b bmpgray bmpmono
    bmpsep1 bmpsep8 ccr cgm24 cgm8 cgmmono cif dfaxhigh dfaxlow epswrite
    faxg3 faxg32d faxg4 ijs inferno jpeg jpeggray lj4dith ljet4 ljet4d
    mgr4
    mgr8 mgrgray2 mgrgray4 mgrgray8 mgrmono miff24 nullpage pam pbm pbmraw
    pcx16 pcx24b pcx256 pcxcmyk pcxgray pcxmono pdfwrite pgm pgmraw pgnm
    pgnmraw pkm pkmraw pksm pksmraw plan9bm png16 png16m png256 pngalpha
    pnggray pngmono pnm pnmraw ppm ppmraw psgray psmono psrgb pswrite
    sgirgb
    stp sunhmono tiff12nc tiff24nc tiffcrle tiffg3 tiffg32d tiffg4 tifflzw
    tiffpack x11 x11alpha x11cmyk x11cmyk2 x11cmyk4 x11cmyk8 x11gray2
    x11gray4 x11mono x11rg16x x11rg32x
    Search path:
    . : /usr/local/share/ghostscript/7.07/lib :
    /usr/local/share/ghostscript/fonts
    For more information, see /usr/local/share/ghostscript/7.07/doc/Use.htm.
    Report bugs to com, using the form in Bug-form.htm.
    $

    Search the available devices for "ljet4" If that driver is present your
    good to go. If not, then go to the ports into the ghostscript directory
    and do a make deinstall, make clean, make install and then make sure to
    select ljet4 from the list of devices.

    Once you have that device there, assuming your Laserjet is plugged into
    the parallel port, a commmand like:

    gs -sDEVICE=ljet4 -sOutputFile=/dev/lpt0
    /usr/local/share/ghostscript/7.07/exampl
    es/colorcir.ps

    should print the postscript example file of a color circle. Assuming
    that works
    then it is pretty simple to setup a /etc/printcap entry for that. Here's
    an
    example:

    lp-hpps:\
    :sh:\

    :lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/lp-hpps:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:mx=0:\
    :of=/usr/local/bin/hppsfilter:rw:

    cat /usr/local/bin/hppsfilter

    #!/bin/sh
    #
    # Script that runs ghostscript for the HP
    #
    /usr/local/bin/gs -q -sDEVICE=ljet4 -sOutputFile=- -

    You can also write this as an input file for lpd, that might work better
    for you,
    read the manual.

    Note also that if your just going to be printing text only, then you just
    need a
    CR/LF filter, see:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/corp-net-guide/index.htm

    specifically the section on setting up filters.

    Ted

    Ted Guest

  6. #6

    On Sunday 13 March 2005 10:03 pm, Chris wrote:

    My Laserjet 1100 works quite nicely after I followed the
    instructions in the handbook chapter on printing
    and then installed ghostscript.
    Also needed the tip published here recently on dealing
    with interrupt storms.
    -LenZ-

    Leonard Guest

  7. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Dick Guest
    Moderated Post

  8. #8

    org wrote: [/ref]

    > I run a hp1100 myself here _and_ use apsfilter. Wouldn't want it any
    > other way.[/ref]

    The OP already said he tried apsfilter and it didn't work.

    apsfilter is a pre-postscript filter so obviously the OP's problem
    is something in how ghostscript is being tied into his printer.
    He needs to fix that first before apsfilter will do anything for
    him.

    When troubleshooting, break everything into it's components and attack
    them one at a time.

    Ted
    Ted Guest

  9. #9

    Default Shared object "libintl.so.5" not found error when installinglogrotate port - how to solve this?

    Hi all,

    I have run into a weird issue, which for some reason doesn't want to get
    resolved.

    I am using FreeBSD 5.2.1 Release i386, and my ports tree is recent (via
    /usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L 2 /root/ports-supfile).

    However, when trying to install the logrotate port (i.e. version
    logrotate-3.7_3 - located in /usr/ports/sysutils/logrotate/), I keep
    getting the following error:

    millennics# make install
    ===> Building for logrotate-3.7_3
    /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libintl.so.5" not found
    *** Error code 1

    Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/logrotate.

    Now, I tried perform a 'make clean' and a 'make depend' as well, but all
    to no avail.

    Searching on the Internet suggests that this is due to 'gettext'. So, I
    tried reinstalling that as well, but still, no luck.

    The installed gettext packages are:
    millennics# pkg_info | grep gette
    gettext-0.14.1 GNU gettext package
    p5-gettext-1.03 Message handling functions

    I guess this is basically o.k., right?!?

    Soooooo, the question then winds down to how to resolve this. Can anyone
    tell me how I can fix this problem?

    Cheers!
    Olafo

    PS: down below I've copied the last part of the 'make reinstall' output
    of gettext, as well as the output of the subsequent 'make install'
    output of logrotate...

    mkdir -p -- . /usr/local/share/doc/gettext/examples
    install -o root -g wheel -m 444 installpaths
    /usr/local/share/doc/gettext/examples/installpaths
    cd /usr/ports/devel/gettext/work/gettext-0.14.1/gettext-runtime/man &&
    make uninstall-html
    for file in gettext.1.html ngettext.1.html envsubst.1.html
    gettext.3.html ngettext.3.html textdomain.3.html bindtextdomain.3.html
    bind_textdomain_codeset.3.html; do rm -f
    /usr/local/share/doc/gettext/$file; done
    cd /usr/ports/devel/gettext/work/gettext-0.14.1/gettext-tools/man &&
    make uninstall-html
    for file in msgcmp.1.html msgfmt.1.html msgmerge.1.html msgunfmt.1.html
    xgettext.1.html msgattrib.1.html msgcat.1.html msgcomm.1.html
    msgconv.1.html msgen.1.html msgexec.1.html msgfilter.1.html
    msggrep.1.html msginit.1.html msguniq.1.html gettextize.1.html
    autopoint.1.html; do rm -f /usr/local/share/doc/gettext/$file; done
    install-info --quiet /usr/local/info/autosprintf.info /usr/local/info/dir
    install-info --quiet /usr/local/info/gettext.info /usr/local/info/dir
    ===> Compressing manual pages for gettext-0.14.1
    ===> Running ldconfig
    /sbin/ldconfig -m /usr/local/lib
    ===> Registering installation for gettext-0.14.1
    millennics# cd /usr/ports/sysutils/logrotate/
    millennics# make install
    ===> Building for logrotate-3.7_3
    /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libintl.so.5" not found
    *** Error code 1

    Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/logrotate.
    Olaf Guest

  10. #10

    On Tuesday 15 March 2005 02:08 am, Olaf Greve wrote:

    No, you have the right version of gettext but you didn't address the
    problem.

    Well, you have a mix bag set of references to gettext. Ports you haven't
    rebuilt are still refering to the old library. The interface changed
    between .so.5 and .so.6 and you have to rebuild everything that uses
    libintl.

    Kent

    --
    Kent Stewart
    Richland, WA

    Kent Guest

  11. #11

    Hi,

    Firstly, thanks for your reply!

    I feared as much...:(

    > Well, you have a mix bag set of references to gettext. Ports you haven't
    > rebuilt are still refering to the old library. The interface changed
    > between .so.5 and .so.6 and you have to rebuild everything that uses
    > libintl.[/ref]

    Hmmm, to be honest, I'm not certain how I can best fix this. It is my
    live server which is up 24/7, and of which I'd rather not break anything
    just to get logrotate going....

    I considered trying to install it as a package using sysinstall, but
    that complains that the fbsd 5.2.1 distribution cannot be found on the
    FTP servers anymore.

    Ideally, I'd like to (re)build the logrotate port such that it will
    work. I guess that does involve doing what you say: rebuilding
    everything that depends on the conflicting library. However, I do not
    know exactly how to do this.

    Can anyone perhaps tell me how I can find out which ports depend on this
    library, and how I can correctly update the lot such that it will all
    work, and such that I can install the logrotate port correctly?

    Cheers!
    Olafo
    Olaf Guest