Professional Web Applications Themes

HP printer - Photography

Hello i'm a newbie who just installed redhat 9 on my system yesterday. i'm trying to get my printer running. it's a hp psc 1210 all-in-one. USB connection. Under gnome print manager there is a printer, the queue is "printer" the type is locally-connected, dev/lp0 and dev/usb/lp0 are both listed. under printer manufacture and model hp psc 2210 are picked and the driver listed is HPIJS. when I print from any aplication the job does not show up in the queue. Thanks in advance for any help....

  1. #1

    Default hp printer

    Hello i'm a newbie who just installed redhat 9 on my system yesterday.
    i'm trying to get my printer running. it's a hp psc 1210 all-in-one. USB
    connection. Under gnome print manager there is a printer, the queue is
    "printer" the type is locally-connected, dev/lp0 and dev/usb/lp0 are
    both listed. under printer manufacture and model hp psc 2210 are picked
    and the driver listed is HPIJS. when I print from any aplication the job
    does not show up in the queue.

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    Ainsley Cipperley Guest

  2. #2

    Trying to decide whether to upgrade to a real photo printer- now have
    only an HP dj 5550, with, whoopee, a "photo" cart which replaces the
    black for "better" color. Makes a six cart printer out of a four cart
    one....

    In the mean time, the regular color cartridge said it was out of ink.
    equally all three colors were at 0. So, I replaced it with a previous
    cartridge I had saved, and it, too, shows 0 ink levels, although it
    prints..... Don't see anyplace to refresh the reading.

    Are these HP carts subject to date expiry? (I thought I had read about
    that but re the real photo printers.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: HP printer

    I see on the back of the HP ink cartridges with the Vivendi inks "Nov
    2005".
    So, Hp cartridges must have a limited shelf life.

    "John McWilliams" <jpmcwcomcast.net> wrote in message
    > Trying to decide whether to upgrade to a real photo printer- now have
    > only an HP dj 5550, with, whoopee, a "photo" cart which replaces the
    > black for "better" color. Makes a six cart printer out of a four cart
    > one....
    >
    > In the mean time, the regular color cartridge said it was out of ink.
    > equally all three colors were at 0. So, I replaced it with a previous
    > cartridge I had saved, and it, too, shows 0 ink levels, although it
    > prints..... Don't see anyplace to refresh the reading.
    >
    > Are these HP carts subject to date expiry? (I thought I had read about
    > that but re the real photo printers.
    >
    > --
    > John McWilliams

    Charles Eaves Guest

  4. #4

    a photo printer depends on what you want to do with it. I myself would just
    go to local place and print there cost is the same or less and quality is
    better if the picture is too dark or light they will redo for free and the
    prints can get wet and not run. Inkjet unless you have special coating or
    ink will run if they get wet

    Wayne

    "John McWilliams" <jpmcwcomcast.net> wrote in message
    > Trying to decide whether to upgrade to a real photo printer- now have only
    > an HP dj 5550, with, whoopee, a "photo" cart which replaces the black for
    > "better" color. Makes a six cart printer out of a four cart one....
    >
    > In the mean time, the regular color cartridge said it was out of ink.
    > equally all three colors were at 0. So, I replaced it with a previous
    > cartridge I had saved, and it, too, shows 0 ink levels, although it
    > prints..... Don't see anyplace to refresh the reading.
    >
    > Are these HP carts subject to date expiry? (I thought I had read about
    > that but re the real photo printers.
    >
    > --
    > John McWilliams

    wayne Guest

  5. #5

    Charles Eaves wrote:
    > I see on the back of the HP ink cartridges with the Vivendi inks "Nov
    > 2005".
    > So, Hp cartridges must have a limited shelf life.

    << Snipped bits out >>

    >>Are these HP carts subject to date expiry? (I thought I had read about
    >>that but re the real photo printers.
    I understood that some of the higher end HPs had sensors that read a
    date off the cart, and wouldn't let it print past the date, whether the
    tanks were full or not. Kinda s for people who don't print much.

    My question was if the 5550 might have a lesser version of same, just
    gives a zero ink left reading.....

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams Guest

  6. #6

    wayne wrote:
    > a photo printer depends on what you want to do with it. I myself would just
    > go to local place and print there cost is the same or less and quality is
    > better if the picture is too dark or light they will redo for free and the
    > prints can get wet and not run. Inkjet unless you have special coating or
    > ink will run if they get wet

    I'm not talking about 4x6, or even 5x7s. My local places also don't know
    beans about printer profiles, but rely on human intervention. Good for
    many, not what I want.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams Guest

  7. #7

    You have a very valid point there. I myself use a descent colour printer
    when I need a print right away for some type of demonstration, or display. I
    go to a professional photo print place, when I need a print for a permanent
    application. I also found that printing photos myself is much more
    expensive, and are not as good as when done on an elaborate commercial
    printing system.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    "wayne" <notmeexample.com> wrote in message
    >a photo printer depends on what you want to do with it. I myself would
    >just go to local place and print there cost is the same or less and quality
    >is better if the picture is too dark or light they will redo for free and
    >the prints can get wet and not run. Inkjet unless you have special coating
    >or ink will run if they get wet
    >
    > Wayne
    >
    > "John McWilliams" <jpmcwcomcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Trying to decide whether to upgrade to a real photo printer- now have
    >> only an HP dj 5550, with, whoopee, a "photo" cart which replaces the
    >> black for "better" color. Makes a six cart printer out of a four cart
    >> one....
    >>
    >> In the mean time, the regular color cartridge said it was out of ink.
    >> equally all three colors were at 0. So, I replaced it with a previous
    >> cartridge I had saved, and it, too, shows 0 ink levels, although it
    >> prints..... Don't see anyplace to refresh the reading.
    >>
    >> Are these HP carts subject to date expiry? (I thought I had read about
    >> that but re the real photo printers.
    >>
    >> --
    >> John McWilliams

    Jerry G. Guest

  8. #8

    In article <30grv6F2u4jf5U1uni-berlin.de>, [email]jerryg-consultNOSPAMca.inter.net[/email]
    says...
    > >> Are these HP carts subject to date expiry? (I thought I had read about
    > >> that but re the real photo printers.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> John McWilliams

    ALL new HP Cartridges have a date built into them.
    SOME of the printers will refuse to print after that date (mostly the newer
    PhotoSmarts will stop)

    I have an old HP 952C which ignores the dates on its carts. A newer model (I
    dont remember the model #) that uses the same carts will stop on the cutoff
    date.

    I dont think there have been any more new HP printers that use the same carts
    as the 952C.

    The HP PHOTOSMARTS 7350, and up all stop on expiration dates, but the carts
    are so tiny, if you print a few pictures a month you'll use 'em up before
    they expire.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

  9. #9

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > Trying to decide whether to upgrade to a real photo printer- now have
    > only an HP dj 5550, with, whoopee, a "photo" cart which replaces the
    > black for "better" color. Makes a six cart printer out of a four cart
    > one....
    >
    > In the mean time, the regular color cartridge said it was out of ink.
    > equally all three colors were at 0. So, I replaced it with a previous
    > cartridge I had saved, and it, too, shows 0 ink levels, although it
    > prints..... Don't see anyplace to refresh the reading.
    >
    > Are these HP carts subject to date expiry? (I thought I had read about
    > that but re the real photo printers.

    comp.periphs.scanners would be the right place for these questions.

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    --
    -- r.p.e.35mm user resource: [url]http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm[/url]
    -- r.p.d.slr-systems: [url]http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm[/url]

  10. #10

    "John McWilliams" <jpmcwcomcast.net> wrote in message
    > Trying to decide whether to upgrade to a real photo printer- now have only
    > an HP dj 5550, with, whoopee, a "photo" cart which replaces the black for
    > "better" color. Makes a six cart printer out of a four cart one....
    >
    > In the mean time, the regular color cartridge said it was out of ink.
    > equally all three colors were at 0. So, I replaced it with a previous
    > cartridge I had saved, and it, too, shows 0 ink levels, although it
    > prints..... Don't see anyplace to refresh the reading.
    >
    > Are these HP carts subject to date expiry? (I thought I had read about
    > that but re the real photo printers.
    >
    > --
    > John McWilliams
    In my experience with HP printers, the "out of ink" warning doesn't mean
    "completely". I use the warning to keep a new cartridge handy, for when I
    really need it.

    Marvin Margoshes Guest

  11. #11

    Alan Browne wrote:
    > John McWilliams wrote:
    >
    >> Trying to decide whether to upgrade to a real photo printer- now have
    >> only an HP dj 5550, with, whoopee, a "photo" cart which replaces the
    >> black for "better" color. Makes a six cart printer out of a four cart
    >> one....
    >>
    >> In the mean time, the regular color cartridge said it was out of ink.
    >> equally all three colors were at 0. So, I replaced it with a previous
    >> cartridge I had saved, and it, too, shows 0 ink levels, although it
    >> prints..... Don't see anyplace to refresh the reading.
    >>
    >> Are these HP carts subject to date expiry? (I thought I had read about
    >> that but re the real photo printers.
    >

    > comp.periphs.scanners would be the right place for these questions.

    Would it, now?

    --

    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams Guest

  12. #12

    John McWilliams <jpmcwcomcast.net> wrote:
    >Are these HP carts subject to date expiry?
    Mot probably yes.

    I fell to this HP deadfall completely. I bought the HP Officejet
    d155xi network device (all in one type, it was well over 1000 euros)
    about two years ago and honestly this is the most evil-minded product
    marketing technique I have never seen.

    The ink cartridges have an IC chip, the sole purpose of that chip is
    to expire the cartridge at some preset date set by HP. There is no way
    around this iness, even if the cartridge is full of ink the
    printer does not accept it. Also the printer will not print in B/W
    mode if only the 3color cartridge is out dated by its chip. And it
    will not print in color in case only the black cartridge is out dated
    by its chip.

    As if that would not be enough to assure steady demand of ink
    cartridges the nozzles (4 of them) need to be changed often, they are
    equally expensive as the ink cartridges. Either they dry very easily
    or they have their own expiration chip.

    So, be warned, HP is a deeply deceitful company.

    I will never ever buy any HP product.

    Timo Autiokari
    Timo Autiokari Guest

  13. #13

    Timo Autiokari wrote:
    > So, be warned, HP is a deeply deceitful company.
    > I will never ever buy any HP product.
    To be fair, I have dealt with many very fine HP laser printers over
    the past few years in my career as IT support staff. They have all
    been reasonably priced, well-made, and performed like tireless
    workhorses with very few problems.

    I think your experiences aren't necessarily entirely the fault of HP
    (though I agree that IC-chip business is bad), rather they are due to
    the inherent nature of inkjet printers in general. As I understand
    it, the printer itself is a "loss-leader" item; all the profit is in
    the consumables. Just about every inkjet printer from every company
    is a resource hog. A quick Google for "inkjet printer cost per page
    comparison" provided, among others, this web page of comparison
    charts: [url]http://www.testlab.rmit.edu.au/graphs.php[/url] Briefly, the
    majority of inkjet printers in this test group had a cost-per-page of
    between $0.20 and $0.40US - for only up to 20% page coverage! Quite a
    few were even higher. You can imagine how much a full-page color
    photo print would cost. Also, I don't know if that ysis included
    the cost of good photo-grade paper....

    When I went digital, I decided quickly not to spend money on a
    photo-printer; it seemed much more economical to have my images
    printed at a lab. Perhaps if I were a professional photographer, it
    would pay to spend the money on a high-end photo printer. ut until
    then, I'd rather let someone else handle my printing needs.

    Greg Evans

    Greg Evans Guest

  14. #14

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:09:41 -0500, "Marvin Margoshes"
    <physnospamchemcloud9.net> wrote:

    >"John McWilliams" <jpmcwcomcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Trying to decide whether to upgrade to a real photo printer- now have only
    >> an HP dj 5550, with, whoopee, a "photo" cart which replaces the black for
    >> "better" color. Makes a six cart printer out of a four cart one....
    >>
    >> In the mean time, the regular color cartridge said it was out of ink.
    >> equally all three colors were at 0. So, I replaced it with a previous
    >> cartridge I had saved, and it, too, shows 0 ink levels, although it
    >> prints..... Don't see anyplace to refresh the reading.
    >>
    >> Are these HP carts subject to date expiry? (I thought I had read about
    >> that but re the real photo printers.
    >>
    >> --
    >> John McWilliams
    >
    >In my experience with HP printers, the "out of ink" warning doesn't mean
    >"completely". I use the warning to keep a new cartridge handy, for when I
    >really need it.

    Let's admit it -- refusing to print after a specific date is
    raw marketing BS and nothing more.

    If I pick up a number of cartridges at a good price, I
    shouldn't be penalized for HP's benefit because I don't use them
    immediately. The only justifiable action is, if they can detect the
    date and refuse to print, they can as easily pop a dialog box letting
    me know the date has been reached. It should be my option to continue
    with the print and evaluate the results for myself. If the print is
    flawed, I can replace the cartridge. If not, I should be allowed to
    run the cartridge dry.

    kashe@sonic.net Guest

  15. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    kashe@sonic.net Guest
    Moderated Post

  16. #16

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:26:20 -0500, "Greg Evans"
    <misterxlarkbooks.com> wrote:
    >Timo Autiokari wrote:
    >
    >> So, be warned, HP is a deeply deceitful company.
    >> I will never ever buy any HP product.
    >
    >To be fair, I have dealt with many very fine HP laser printers over
    >the past few years in my career as IT support staff. They have all
    >been reasonably priced, well-made, and performed like tireless
    >workhorses with very few problems.
    Engineering is not the issue here -- it's marketing practices
    which deprive the user/owner of reasonable use of their purchase.

    >I think your experiences aren't necessarily entirely the fault of HP
    >(though I agree that IC-chip business is bad), rather they are due to
    >the inherent nature of inkjet printers in general. As I understand
    >it, the printer itself is a "loss-leader" item; all the profit is in
    >the consumables.
    Let's not forget the practice of supplying inkjet printers
    with "minimal fill" cartridges so that your first purchase of a full
    tank comes after the original runs dry after a few pages. This would
    be the equivalent of supplying a typewriter with an original
    eighteen-inch ribbon or a laser printer with two ounces of toner.

    kashe@sonic.net Guest

  17. #17

    [email]kashesonic.net[/email] wrote:
    > On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:09:41 -0500, "Marvin Margoshes"
    > <physnospamchemcloud9.net> wrote:
    >

    >> "John McWilliams" <jpmcwcomcast.net> wrote in message
    >>> Trying to decide whether to upgrade to a real photo printer- now
    >>> have only an HP dj 5550, with, whoopee, a "photo" cart which
    >>> replaces the black for "better" color. Makes a six cart printer out
    >>> of a four cart one....
    >>>
    >>> In the mean time, the regular color cartridge said it was out of
    >>> ink. equally all three colors were at 0. So, I replaced it with a
    >>> previous cartridge I had saved, and it, too, shows 0 ink levels,
    >>> although it prints..... Don't see anyplace to refresh the reading.
    >>>
    >>> Are these HP carts subject to date expiry? (I thought I had read
    >>> about that but re the real photo printers.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> John McWilliams
    >>
    >> In my experience with HP printers, the "out of ink" warning doesn't
    >> mean "completely". I use the warning to keep a new cartridge handy,
    >> for when I really need it.
    >>

    > Let's admit it -- refusing to print after a specific date is
    > raw marketing BS and nothing more.
    >
    > If I pick up a number of cartridges at a good price, I
    > shouldn't be penalized for HP's benefit because I don't use them
    > immediately. The only justifiable action is, if they can detect the
    > date and refuse to print, they can as easily pop a dialog box letting
    > me know the date has been reached. It should be my option to continue
    > with the print and evaluate the results for myself. If the print is
    > flawed, I can replace the cartridge. If not, I should be allowed to
    > run the cartridge dry.
    Seems to me I have seen groups where hacks were mentioned with regard to
    resetting incapacitators in some Epson cartridges. If Epson or HP can
    put something in there, someone can whip it around to his own uses.
    Count on it.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess Guest

  18. #18

    [email]kashesonic.net[/email] wrote:

    > Let's admit it -- refusing to print after a specific date is
    > raw marketing BS and nothing more.
    >
    > If I pick up a number of cartridges at a good price, I
    > shouldn't be penalized for HP's benefit because I don't use them
    > immediately. The only justifiable action is, if they can detect the
    > date and refuse to print, they can as easily pop a dialog box letting
    > me know the date has been reached. It should be my option to continue
    > with the print and evaluate the results for myself. If the print is
    > flawed, I can replace the cartridge. If not, I should be allowed to
    > run the cartridge dry.

    I'm with you here! If I want to pretend to print with ALL my ink
    cartridges dry as a bone, it should be my option, nobody elses.

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    Jer Guest

  19. #19

    Jer <gdunnairmail.ten> wrote in message news:<co0q7d$1clibrary2.airnews.net>...
    > [email]kashesonic.net[/email] wrote:
    >

    > > Let's admit it -- refusing to print after a specific date is
    > > raw marketing BS and nothing more.
    > >
    > > If I pick up a number of cartridges at a good price, I
    > > shouldn't be penalized for HP's benefit because I don't use them
    > > immediately. The only justifiable action is, if they can detect the
    > > date and refuse to print, they can as easily pop a dialog box letting
    > > me know the date has been reached. It should be my option to continue
    > > with the print and evaluate the results for myself. If the print is
    > > flawed, I can replace the cartridge. If not, I should be allowed to
    > > run the cartridge dry.
    > >

    > I'm with you here! If I want to pretend to print with ALL my ink
    > cartridges dry as a bone, it should be my option, nobody elses.
    What HELL-PACKED Does Not What is For you to Refill your own ink that
    is why you are having this problem in other words The printer Thinks
    That The Ink Cartridge Has been refilled and will refuse to print I
    know this because I own a HP Photo-smart model 145 and I refill the
    ink when it gets low whay i Had to do was re-install the printer
    drivers each time i refilled the cartridge.
    TIM Guest

  20. #20

    [email]chasmTEXAS.net[/email] wrote:
    > Timo Autiokari wrote:
    >

    >>As if that would not be enough to assure steady demand of ink
    >>cartridges the nozzles (4 of them) need to be changed often, they are
    >>equally expensive as the ink cartridges. Either they dry very easily
    >>or they have their own expiration chip.
    >

    > this is the reason for my wanting a color laser printer. not a very expensive
    > one but one which will allow me to show an approx of a photo to a family member
    > or ?? other. for actual quality prints, take it to a print store in town and
    > let them print them off.

    This subject is OT for the rec.photo.digital.slr-systems NG per the charter.
    [url]http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsyscharter.htm[/url]

    Please take these questions to news:comp.periphs.printers or keep posting
    limited to rec.photo.digital .

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    --