Professional Web Applications Themes

HTML Form: Password Protect Web Page? - Macromedia Dreamweaver

For a church website I would like to have a "members only" button as a gateway to web pages containing stuff that is basically internal. Schedule for who is serving coffee each Sunday, schedule for upcoming funerals and weddings, procedures for getting something published in the Sunday Bulletin, deadline for submitting reimbursement requests. Nothing top secret - - - just internal stuff not appropriate for casual visitors. Mega security is not necessary. Obviously we do not care if a determined person blasts thru our security and discovers a secret internal webpage listing the schedule of church ushers for next month. ...

  1. #1

    Default HTML Form: Password Protect Web Page?

    For a church website I would like to have a "members only" button as a
    gateway to web pages containing stuff that is basically internal. Schedule
    for who is serving coffee each Sunday, schedule for upcoming funerals and
    weddings, procedures for getting something published in the Sunday Bulletin,
    deadline for submitting reimbursement requests. Nothing top secret - - -
    just internal stuff not appropriate for casual visitors.

    Mega security is not necessary. Obviously we do not care if a determined
    person blasts thru our security and discovers a secret internal webpage
    listing the schedule of church ushers for next month. Lets call this page
    "secretinternal.html".

    The site is hosted on "free-with-ISP account" webspace at ATT.net. So we are
    talking pretty basic here. For example, PHP and ASP are not available, nor
    are CGI or Perl scripts. Here are the options I have identified:

    One
    Instead of taking you to the internal page, The "Members Only" button takes
    you to a blank page. You have to be smart enough to go up to the address bar
    and append "/secretinternal.html" at the end of the URL.

    Two
    Same idea, but clicking the Members Only button takes you to a page which,
    instead of being blank has "Enter Password Below" and a box and a submit
    button. When you enter the correct password, you are taken to the secret
    internal page.

    Since this is a church, it has to work with old browsers and webTV so I'd
    prefer not to use Javascript.

    Can I do this with HTML forms?

    - Dan
    --
    Please reply to Newsgroup. If you must reply via email, remember, its not my
    birthday.

    Dan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: HTML Form: Password Protect Web Page?

    http://www.mickweb.com/javascript/tutorials/password/password.html

    This may be just what you're looking for.
    Mick

    mick_white Guest

  3. #3

    I'm afraid you're pretty limited in your options. Your second option was
    the most likely, but would require Javascript and not be secure at all,
    as viewing the page source would have given away the password.

    You will really need a server-side technology to implement this properly.

    -- Mike

    MLangner-MMTS Guest

  4. #4

    Check out this javascript
    http://javascript.internet.com/navigation/word-launcher.html

    Launches a hidden page by the person typing a word on the keyboard without
    needing any type of form elements or server scripts.

    --
    Regards

    Paul Whitham
    Valleybiz Internet Design
    www.valleybiz.net

    Team Macromedia Volunteer for Ultradev/Dreamweaver MX
    www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia
    "Dan Ashley" <com> wrote in message
    Bulletin,
    are
    takes
    bar
    my

    Paul Guest

  5. #5

    Yup, but he wants to avoid Javascript.

    -- Mike

    Paul Whitham TMM wrote:

    > Bulletin,

    > are

    > takes

    > bar

    > my

    >[/ref]

    MLangner-MMTS Guest

  6. #6

    MLangner-MMTS wrote:

    Not true, Mike.
    Mick
     [/ref]

    mick_white Guest

  7. #7

    Thank you everyone! This newsgroup is wonderful. I think I'll try the
    javascript even though I initially said I wanted to avoid it because of old
    browsers and WebTV.

    If that does not work I may try a remotely hosted CGI script service, which
    I found. I have not tried it out yet, nor have I investigated it. I found
    this remotely hosted service at:

    http://www.bfndevelopment.com/cgi-bin/home/Render.cgi?id=22&processor=

    (The last equal sign on the URL above is supposed to be part of the
    clickable link) . That website provides the following description:

    Password Protection
    If you want to offer a private section on your site, this is definitely a
    beneficial tool. You could use JavaScript to keep your pages private, but
    any "hacker" could bypass that in a few min. Using this password protection,
    you can effectively keep your pages private. You can add as many users as
    you wish, have as many pages protected as you want, and can use any design
    for the login screen you wish.

    My decision tree is this:
    1. Having 'em type a secret web address into the address bar is too complex
    for many church-goers.
    2. Javascript might not be as bad as I think. At least its worth a try.
    (Maybe it *will* work for almost everyone in the congregation.)
    3. A remotely hosted CGI solution is a fallback in case the javascript does
    not work for almost everyone.
    4. A server side solution will not work because the church uses a free
    webspace at att.net which does not support cgi, php, asp or anything fancy.

    Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and assistance.

    - Dan