Professional Web Applications Themes

Hyperlinks do not work when converting Word Doc to PDF - Adobe Acrobat Macintosh

I have a MS Word Mac doent with a lot of hyperlinks in it. When I convert the doent to PDF, the hyperlinks do not convert over to PDF. In other words, I can no longer click the link to go to a referring site. This is a critical function I need to have for my business, but I have not been able to figure out how to correct this. If anyone knows how to resolve this, please let me know. I have been trying to resolve this now for 4 hours! Thanks in advance! Matt...

  1. #1

    Default Hyperlinks do not work when converting Word Doc to PDF

    Matt_T_Fischer@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    You'll have to get Acrobat for Windows for this to work. It does nlt work on a Mac.
    Larry G. Schneider Guest

  3. #3

    What a pain! How can I run Acrobat for Windows on my Mac? I just paid $$$$ for the whole Adobe CS. Do you know if the Reader for Windows will do the conversion? I don't want to shell out anymore money! LOL
    Matt_T_Fischer@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Well if you have an Intel Mac it will require and cost the following:

    Parallels about $79 bucks

    a Copy of VISTA or XP (if you can find it) $400-500 dollars.

    Office2007 PC another 2-300 Bucks.

    Acrobat 8.1.2 PC another 3-400 bucks. Unless you give up your Mac programs you can not cross grade to from one platform to the other.
    So you must by new of everything.

    Then and only then will you have the ability.

    You also will have the ability to pickup, the privilege of receiving, 100 Gazallion different Virus, Trogans , worms, adware, and spyware attacks every hour you have windows running
    pjonesCET@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Reader will not do the conversion.

    The problem is that Microsoft never put in the hooks in Macintosh Office so Adobe could develop the PDFMaker technology it developed for Windows Office.

    You would need a Windows version of Word. You could run that under Parallels or Fusion on an Intel Mac, or using Boot Camp in Leopard. The conversion takes place using scripts running within the Office products. In fact, Microsoft removed all scripting abilities from the Mac products.

    You can complain in the Microsoft forums.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I just paid $$$$ for the whole Adobe CS

    And you're using Word for layout?

    Use InDesign if you have the entire Suite. You can add your links in the doent then export to PDF leaving all links intact.

    In fact, you can "place" your existing Word doent (so you don't have to completely rebuild it) and the links wil come through with the doent. Then you can PDF that.l
    graffiti Guest

  7. #7

    Ok great - I will try that. Sounds like a better and cheaper option than the other ones here. Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it!!!!!

  8. #8

    Graffiti's suggestion is a good one. I concur.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    I will try that

    Just be sure to choose Include>Hyperlinks in the InDesign export menu. That one took me a glance or two before I knew it was there.
    graffiti Guest

  10. #10

    Thanks for the help everyone!
    Matt_T_Fischer@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Ahh..

    found the setting to make embedded links convert nicely and works in pdf

    1) in word go to the top menu "Adobe PDF" > "change conversion setting"

    2) Select "word" tab and enable :
    - Convert cross references and table of content to links
    - Enable advance tagging

    and save the setting..

    Note:
    Doing the above will increase the pdf conversion time.

    I converted a 165 pages .doc to pdf and took about 20+mins (did not really time the process but it was a long time.)

    Hope that helps

    Vincent
    <http://videoskintemplates.net>
    vinstones@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Vincent,

    That will not work on the Mac version of Word. Perhaps you are using a
    Windows version.

    Mike
    Michael Kazlow Guest

  13. #13

    The conversion of hyperlinks, TOC and bookmarks from styles is default
    when making PDFs via the icon (PDF Maker) under WINDOWS

    Jon
    Jon Bessant Guest

  14. #14

    not sure how old this thread is, but there can be difficulties with links if you use the print option to create your pdf rather than the save as option. Try save as pdf instead, it may make all the difference.

    Paul
    Unregistered Guest