Professional Web Applications Themes

Hyphenation and Text Box problems - Adobe Indesign Windows

I am very very new to InDesign. I just got it yesterday version 3.0 and I'm running on a Dell Dimension XPS 81000r, Intel 1 GHz machine, 128 MB ram (I know I know). Back ground info: I inherited a PageMaker Doent (213 page users guide) that was having no ends of problems when I was trying to edit the doent. Finally some persuasion later and I was able to purchase InDesign because I was told it was much better program (which so far it is very good). I have imported the PageMaker file into InDesign and everything seems to ...

  1. #1

    Default Hyphenation and Text Box problems

    I am very very new to InDesign. I just got it yesterday version 3.0 and I'm running on a Dell Dimension XPS 81000r, Intel 1 GHz machine, 128 MB ram (I know I know).

    Back ground info:
    I inherited a PageMaker Doent (213 page users guide) that was having no ends of problems when I was trying to edit the doent. Finally some persuasion later and I was able to purchase InDesign because I was told it was much better program (which so far it is very good). I have imported the PageMaker file into InDesign and everything seems to be converted smoothly and all is much easier to maneuver and work with in InDesign.

    I have two questions:
    1. Is there a way to globally change the doent so that it is not set to use hyphenations? Is there a way to globally change already edited pages to not use hyphenations?
    2. There are some picture groups that were converted from PageMaker that are grouped with Story Text boxes and on the viewing screen I see the picture but I do not see the Story Text unless I edit the Story? Is this going to print out or do I have to edit those boxes and do something to them?

    Thanks for your assistance, suggestions and comments

    Tom Cusick
    [url]www.servantpc.com[/url]
    Tom_Cusick@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Hyphenation and Text Box problems

    With no doent open, click on the Paragraph palette menu button and go to Hyphenation. Turn it off. This will affect all future doents.

    In an existing doent, double-click each of the paragraph styles in the Paragraph Styles palette. Under the Hyphenation section, uncheck both the hyphenation features. You DO have styles controlling all your text, don't you? OK out of each style to update the doent.

    As far as your second question, try selecting the picture frame and sending it to back or to a lower layer. (I may not understand the question, tho. If so, ... could you elaborate?)

    Mike Witherell in Washington DC
    mikewitherell_at_jetsetcom_dot_net Guest

  3. #3

    The problem appears to be that when InDesign Converted the PageMaker Doent it grouped 2 pictures and a text box together and then put a "buffer"?? box around the whole grouping. This "buffer" box is what appears to be causing my text boxes to be blank. So I am having to go into each grouping, ungroup them, resize that buffer box to not be including the text box and once that is changed the text appears.
    Tom_Cusick@adobeforums.com Guest