Professional Web Applications Themes

hypothetical fps of unseen models - Macromedia Director 3D

If my camera is not facing a model, will the fps stay the same if I turn it 180 degrees to face a model with many polys?...

  1. #1

    Default hypothetical re: fps of unseen models

    If my camera is not facing a model, will the fps stay the same if I turn it
    180 degrees to face a model with many polys?

    Rob Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: hypothetical re: fps of unseen models

    The more polys are displayed, the lesser the performances. With a good
    graphics card and a scene optimized for performance, you should not even
    notice (e.g dropping from 150 to 50). But otherwise, the FPS will drop when
    the camera faces the model, especially so with a heavy one.

    Cheers,
    Karl.

    Karl Sigiscar Guest

  3. #3

    hi~Karl
    Do you mean ,in the same scene,only polygons displayed on screen will effect the FPS,
    and others polygons not be displayed on screen will NOT effect FPS?

    so, I can make a big scene with no polygon limitation ,only if I make sure I wont displayed polygons of them too much at a time??

    appreciate in advance :)

    peanutwafers webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    Theorically, yes. In reality, there is a limit.

    First, polygons outside view are not *drawn*. But their vertex coordinates still need to be calculated, and Director still needs to check if they are in the view. Also, polygons do need to use some video memory (the video card must know they exist, right?), even if individual polygons use little memory, having a billion of them might cause LOTS of slowdown, if not even crashing the system by comsuming the whole video RAM.

    (note: Director needs to do the visibility check because videocards are stupid. If a polygon is outside the view area, it'll not be draw, of course, but the video card will still compute lighting and texture coordinates for it).

    Also, if you have a real massive amount of polygons, the 3D engine might spend more time checking if they are visible than actually rendering them. If you want to use largely detailed scenes, you need to know how Director does the visibility check and help it by organizing your scene accordling.

    First, Director checks if a model's bounding sphere is visible. If it is, then it checks every polygon in that model. So, if your whole scene is a single model, you'll have problems, because no matter where in the scene the camera is, the 3D engine will need to do a visibility check on EVERY polygon. But if you strategically split your scene in smaller models, Director can discard many of them in a quick check.

    Also remember that objects behind other objects are STILL rendered. Hiding an ultra detailed model behind a wall won't give you any speed improvements. You need to code ways for limiting what is seen, and a quick and dirty way is to split the scene in sectors, and define which sectors are visible from each sector, and remove the unseen sectors from the scene. That way only part of your scene will be visible at a time.

    Medion webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest