Professional Web Applications Themes

i always snickered ("Get Info" OSX) - Mac Applications & Software

hi! i always laughed when i used Windows lame equivalent for "Get Info". particularly when i selected multiple items. "2 folders", duh! until i am using OSX. missing are not only the multiple windows, which i think is the proper "object oriented" behaviour". sure, i can do them one at a time, but why should i have to? not only that, the number of files enclosed in the folder selected has gone missing. it makes some uses of the utility worthless, uses i have been long in the habit of doing. is there a way to turn this old behaviour ...

  1. #1

    Default i always snickered ("Get Info" OSX)

    hi!

    i always laughed when i used Windows lame equivalent for "Get Info".
    particularly when i selected multiple items. "2 folders", duh!

    until i am using OSX. missing are not only the multiple windows, which i
    think is the proper "object oriented" behaviour". sure, i can do them
    one at a time, but why should i have to? not only that, the number of
    files enclosed in the folder selected has gone missing.

    it makes some uses of the utility worthless, uses i have been long in
    the habit of doing.

    is there a way to turn this old behaviour on that i haven't found yet?
    or (ugh!) a third-party oldGetInfo application that could be as
    convenient to use?

    elsewise, where do we go to say that this is what we want, where there
    is any chance of being heard and understood?

    this is not the only thing that feels more like Windows than MacOS 9, 8,
    7, 6... why why why?

    -- rob
    robert Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: i always snickered ("Get Info" OSX)

    In article <net>, robert <net> wrote:

    You might try SuperGetInfo (which I haven't...so I'm not sure it does
    everything you want).
    <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/11311>

    --
    James Meiss
    <http://amath.colorado.edu/faculty/jdm>

  3. #3

    James Meiss wrote:

    thanks! it does appear to do everything i want except NOT COST $20. :-)

    lets you see file type and creator and change them, like my old friend
    Snitch.

    still, seems like something *they* should have left in OSX. i am not a
    Windows convert, i am a former MacOS 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and 9 user. at
    least they could bury a switch somewhere.

    who are *they* anyway?

    -- rob

    Robert Guest

  4. #4

    robert <net> wrote:

    I am not sure to understand. What I can say is
    - by pressing cmd-alt-i instead of cmd-i you get a single info window
    that adapts to whatever you click on afterwards (the way it worked
    initially with OSX.0)
    - you can retrieve a folder element number with eg XRay (via an
    application or a contextual menu)
    http://www.brockerhoff.net/xray

    --
    Frédérique & Hervé Sainct, net
    Frédérique's initial is missing in front of the above address

  5. #5

    Frédérique & Hervé Sainct wrote:

    > I am not sure to understand.[/ref]

    if i select three folders or files, i want three Get Info windows to
    open up when i fan-I. in each window i want to see how many bytes the
    corresponding folder or file uses, and if it is a folder, how many files
    are contained within it.

    like it worked on MacOS 9 and earlier back to i-don't-remember-when it
    did not work this way.

    like SuperGetInfo works (at a glance).

    i guess i am just upset that it changed, that there is no way (?) to get
    the old behaviour without spending more money and that i do not know who
    to complain to and/or if s/he would care or get it anyway.

    -- rob

    Barb Guest

  6. #6

    Frédérique & Hervé Sainct also wrote:

    well i got Xray and it looks good too! and is only $10. :-)

    perhaps Apple purposefully take features out of new OSes to encourage
    the third-party writers to get creative and make some money, tee hee.

    i like SuperGetInfo a bit better right now as it has a Finder hot-key
    which makes it work like Get Info.

    i also had to go and see what contextual menus even are. they've been
    around for awhile, it seems, but i never used them.

    -- rob

    Barb Guest

  7. #7

    Barb <net> wrote:

    Xray will open two separate info windows with the folder item #, if you
    select two folders and control-click ("XRay two items") on one of them.
    Sillily anyhow, the two Xray windows overlap, and I didn't find a
    setting for this. Anyway... I am a happy, registered Xray user :-)

  8. #8

    http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/

    Apple is known to listen to the feedback. That is not a guarantee that
    they will change it because YOU ask it. But they do change it if either
    MANY people ask it, or if it fit's their global view on "the way things
    should be", whatever that means...

    But please provide the feedback to Apple, they WILL read it.

    Jaco Guest