Professional Web Applications Themes

I am having trouble manipulating direction lines and points - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I am using Illustrator 9.0 with WinXP. The problem is that direction lines and points are only displayed if I happen to click random spots. They are not continuously displayed. The manual says, "When you use the direct-selection tool to select an anchor point connecting curved segments, the segments display direction lines which end in direction points." Not true my friends. It doesn't even indicate that the anchor point has been selected. The only way I've been able to get this to work is to extend the path by adding an endpoint, dragging to create a smooth point, selecting the ...

  1. #1

    Default I am having trouble manipulating direction lines and points

    I am using Illustrator 9.0 with WinXP. The problem is that direction lines and points are only displayed if I happen to click random spots. They are not continuously displayed. The manual says, "When you use the direct-selection tool to select an anchor point connecting curved segments, the segments display direction lines which end in direction points."

    Not true my friends. It doesn't even indicate that the anchor point has been selected.

    The only way I've been able to get this to work is to extend the path by adding an endpoint, dragging to create a smooth point, selecting the direct-selection tool and immediately clicking on where I thought the direction point was.

    You see, after I let go of the mouse, the direction points disappear. And clicking on an invisible direction point is hit or miss. The cursor doesnít change to indicate Iím over a direction point. So I guess. And 9 times out of 10 Iím wrong. Not to mention that I didnít want to extend the path in the first place and I want to be able to edit anchor points in the middle of the path!

    Perhaps Iíve entered a mode unaware and therefore need to reset my settings to be able to do this? I donít know but if I canít edit the curves in my path then I will not be able to use Illustrator. Help if you can.
    JTD@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Jtd,

    what happens when you choose Select > Object > Direction handles? If nothing happens press Cmd+H, try again and look if selected anchor points are highlighted when selecting with the white arrow. That should be the case now.

    Clicking adventures with trying to search/select anchor points can be avoided by turning on smart guides. Pay attention to the smart guides options in the preferences.

    Kurt Gold
    Kurt_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    You'll only see the Direction handles (bezier handles or arc arms) IF there is an arc to the path, or you use the Convert Anchor Points tool (SHIFT C)on a straight path point. To see a selected point, you must first deselect all points. Non selected points will be white filled and selected points will be blue filled. When you first select a path or object with Selection tool, ALL points will be selected. You have to click off the object, then use Direct Selection tool and click anywhere on the path to get all points unselected. Now just click on the single point you wish to select (Direct Selection tool) or SHIFT select to multi select multiple points (or marquee the points wanted). Once you establish the Direction handles, you can use the Direct Selection tool to increase, decrease the arc length and angle. If you don't use ALT then both sides of the handle will arc (opposing angles), so most of the time you need to use the ALT option so only one side of the point will arc to your swing of the hangle.

    Bob
    BobHill@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    This is the solution! Thank you very much, Kurt! I will use smart guides from here on out.

    I feel silly because I see now that the answer is in the next chapter. D'oh!

    Thanks again. I appreciate your help.

    John
    JTD@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Bob,

    you're right but everything fails when "Hide Edges" (Ctrl+H) is enabled. Don't worryÖ;-)