Professional Web Applications Themes

I can't make an application that run on another mac!? - Mac Programming

Hi, I'm a new mac developper and so far, I've pass more than a day trying to find why an application I made on Mac OS 10.3 doesn't run on another Mac OS 10.2!? Firstly, I developpe a Cocoa Application using XTools on a Mac G4. Once I build the application, I zip it (stuffit) and I unzip it on the other mac.. When I try to start it, firstly the icon appear in the menu bar and jump for few seconds and then dissapear no window display, no error message... nothing!? Then, I said, maybe it's because of Cocoa.. ...

  1. #1

    Default I can't make an application that run on another mac!?

    Hi,

    I'm a new mac developper and so far, I've pass more than a day trying
    to find why an application I made on Mac OS 10.3 doesn't run on
    another Mac OS 10.2!?

    Firstly, I developpe a Cocoa Application using XTools on a Mac G4.
    Once I build the application, I zip it (stuffit) and I unzip it on the
    other mac.. When I try to start it, firstly the icon appear in the
    menu bar and jump for few seconds and then dissapear no window
    display, no error message... nothing!?

    Then, I said, maybe it's because of Cocoa.. so I try with Carbon, but
    this time only the application that it's create by default... a window
    with no control.. I try again, same problem!

    I check in the project settings.. maybe I'm compiling in debug!? but
    on Mac.. I didn't see any debug/release compiling setting.. so maybe
    it's not relevant!? Most of the settings tell me nothings, and I don't
    know the tools.. maybe there's a dependency walker or some sort that I
    can use to see if it's a problem with some library or framework!?

    I read on the apple developper web page, the introduction of how to
    create an application.. well, it's seem logical and I can't see what I
    did wrong or that I didn't did.. that create this problem!?

    Should be pretty easy question for an experienced mac developper.. for
    me, which are less than novice.. I really don't know what should I
    check next!?

    regards,
    yann
    Impress Guest

  2. #2

    Impress <com> wrote:

    Clean all targets, switch your build style to Deployment, and try again.
    m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
    AppleScript: The Definitive Guide

  3. #3

    In article <google.com>, Impress
    <com> wrote:

    First, look at /Applications/Utilities/Console. This should always be
    the first place you look when something won't run.

    You're likely building with a build style of "Development." That will
    have Zero-Link enabled and will not run on any Mac but yours. You want
    to change your build style to "Deployment' and the clean and rebuild.

    Click on the project doent on the left in Xcode (the one at the very
    top), choose "Get Info" and go to Styles. Choose Deployment as the
    active build style.

    Additionally, if you're going to target 10.2, you need to go to the
    General tab of that same window and choose "Cross-Develop for" and
    choose a 10.2 SDK. This will ensure that you do not use any functions
    which are only available on 10.3.

    (If you did not install the 10.2 SDK, you'll need to rerun your
    developer tools installation and do a custom install)

    Wade
    Wade Guest

  4. #4

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Impress) wrote:

    Most likely you've used some parts of the API that requires OS 10.3 to
    run - either directly in the code or indirectly via Interface Builder.
    If you check the doentation of the various methods you've used,
    you'll probably find "Available in Mac OS X v10.3 and later." in the
    description of at least one of them.

    --
    C Lund, www.notam02.no/~clund
    C Guest

  5. #5

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Impress) wrote:

    There are two possibilities:

    1. You produced an app that depends on having Xcode installed. This is a common
    mistake if you try to run the development (as opposed to deployment) build on
    another machine.

    2. You produced an app that requires Mac OS X 10.3. This mistake can be
    corrected by making sure you installed the 10.2 SDK from the Xcode installer,
    and then telling Xcode to use the 10.2 SDK. I am don't remember how to do that
    last part in Xcode, but someone else will probably tell you.

    meeroh

    Miro Guest