Professional Web Applications Themes

I Can't place page numbers at the bottom of the page using master pages. - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

  1. #1

    Default I Can't place page numbers at the bottom of the page using master pages.

    guitar_player@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    The pages are 8 1/2, by 11. When I use the master page and auto numbering, I can only place the page numbers a half an inch above the bottom of the page or higher--10 1/2 inches from the top. If I drop below this the numbers only show in the master page but not in the pages I have assigned them to.

    If I place the page numbers on the page one at a time, I can place them within a quarter inch of the bottom of the page, 10 3/4 from the top of the page.
    Is there a way for the master pages to show objects outside the so called printable area?

    I had a graphic artist layout my first book. He has the page numbers a 1/4 inch from the bottom and it looks great in the book. I am writing several other books and would like to place the page numbers in using the master pages.

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    John
    guitar_player@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    In the layout aspect of InDesign, there is no concept of a printable area. Everything that is on the master page, both inside the actual page area and outside in the slug areas, should reflect itself on doent pages referring to the master page in question. I have never seen anything to the contrary. In fact, many users rely on content outside the actual page area on a master page to propagate to the doent pages referring to such a master page.

    You might want to check as to whether your doent pages are referring to the same master page that has the auto page numbers you are specifying.

    - Dov
    Dov Isaacs Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks for replying to my question. I quess what I mean by outside the print area is the slug area.

    It is the same page however. I placed the page number at the bottom of the master page and it shows up on the pages in whatever range of pages I want.

    However, if I place the page number --on the master page-- and move it down a bit-- it will not show any part of the number on or below the border of the page- which is the slug area.

    Should I use bleed in the page setup?
    For discussion sake, what do I call the area inside the black box that is set up to type in, 8" x 10 1/2" on a 8 1/2" x 11" page?
    guitar_player@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Dov, I figured it out. The problem was that there is an existing page number on the page. As I move the master page number down it was placed behind the current number, thus not showing the new number I wanted to see.

    Thanks for trying to help me.

    John
    guitar_player@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    That "black box" is the page size. If you are printing on 8.5"x11" paper, then that page size should be so-defined!

    The bleed area is usually somewhere between .125 and .25 inches and is an area into which content that goes to the edge of the page size should overlap into such that when the paper is cut, the content truly appears to reach the edge.

    The slug area is used for printer marks and other information that is normally trimmed away after printing and possibly may be outside the area printed at all.

    Note that when you print or export PDF, unless you specifically request the bleed and slug areas to be printed or exported, those areas are not so printed or output, even if they show on the screen.

    Based on your description, your page size should be set to reflect the full page size 8.5"x11", not 8" x 10.5". Bleed and slug areas are inappropriate for what you are trying to do.

    - Dov
    Dov Isaacs Guest