Professional Web Applications Themes

I?d appreciate some feedback. - Macromedia Flash Sitedesign

Hi everyone, I've been reading thought the feedback people have offered on sites that are under construction etc... I'd appreciate some feedback on a site I'm currently developing. The brief was a little constricting they only wanted the School colours (dark green and white), wanted far too much content and areas etc. There are a few things that are already fixed but not uploaded: a counter appears at the start, then is hidden by a lower bar, the background image is a little heavy, a lighter version is on the way, a click to enter page is coming rather than ...

  1. #1

    Default I?d appreciate some feedback.

    Hi everyone,
    I've been reading thought the feedback people have offered on sites that are under construction etc...
    I'd appreciate some feedback on a site I'm currently developing.
    The brief was a little constricting they only wanted the School colours (dark green and white), wanted far too much content and areas etc.
    There are a few things that are already fixed but not uploaded:
    a counter appears at the start, then is hidden by a lower bar,
    the background image is a little heavy, a lighter version is on the way,
    a click to enter page is coming rather than the auto open.

    It's still heavily under construction, but take a look and let me know.
    site is a background URL... [url]http://202.6.138.69/www/[/url]

    [url]http://202.6.138.69/www/[/url]

    Regards,

    Nathan Burgess.

    Nathan B webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re:I?d appreciate some feedback.

    Since I am a relatively "new user", I'll limit my feedback to a non-technical opinion.
    Very classy looking!

    Raz Cactus webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  3. #3

    hey
    i think it looks nice! at least the school colors look good. I've seen some BUTT ugly school colors out there. anyway, good, simple, classy design. I also like the consistancy you got going on. although everything ever made could be tweaked, i wont get into taht here. it looks good!

    1 thing(not important) that i did notice is, the loading bars(which by the way, are cool, and reused a healthy amount of tiems) seemed to always say %100. maybe this is because I have a DSL connection, but just thot I'd let you know, in case you want to change it.

    good job!

    -beally-
    -------------------------
    abeall webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks guys...
    I'm not sure about the loading bars... the percentage comes up properly when I test the movie, but I am on a high speed link and can't test really test it. I'd appreciate any ideas more comments regarding the bars...
    Thanks for your feedback... keep it coming.

  5. #5

    could you post how you did the loading bars? post action script, explain where it is on your movie, ect.

    thanks

    -beally-
    -------------------------
    abeall webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  6. #6

    Hey,

    Yeah i agree your site looks v.nice.

    But you want to know about your preloader bars. Well you got 6 bars in total. When the 6th bar (the top one) tweens to its maximum size is that when the movie should be 100% loaded? I ask this because the movie gets 100% loaded and the bars continue to show. The content only shows after the 6th bar (and logo) have been displayed.

    If you wanted the 6 bars to be in sync with the number of bytes loaded you need to work out how much of a bar to show per byte.

    Viru.

    ~ No Style Without Substance ~My First Site Here
    My Second Site Here
    I'm only a lil' kid, only 18....o.O
    kO2n Guest

  7. #7

    Hi there,
    Thanks for the help....
    Each bar tweens each 15 - 25 %.
    So I've got scripts at the end of each bar tween to test the % downloaded, and only to progress at the right %.
    I've reworked the Image Bars, and they seem to preload well over a modem, but I've got a few problems....
    1) on the main movie, the preload is in a scene of it's own... and I'm not sure if the getBytesTotal is of the scene, or the whole swf?
    2) the image bars load 5 jpeg files dynamically (ASP, XML involved), and these are loaded beofre the between the 1st and second bar, but when I view it over a modem, the preloader works, but the images are not completly loaded... The first one is missing then appears a second or two later.
    Does the getBytesTotal include jpegs loaded into the movie?

    Any ideas how to get these a little more precise?
    Any further comments or suggestions would be appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Nathan B

    Nathan B webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  8. #8

    Hey
    Fist I want to let you know that, on my computer (using IE) when I goto the link, nothing happens. Only when I hit refresh does the Flash pop-up. First time I thought it was a fluke, but it does that every time. Don't know why, sorry.

    Also, some of your buttons don't look lined up. Use the "Align" panel to fix that up.

    That sounds like a complicated way to make a preloader. First off, it doesn't seem to me that you need JPGs at all, much less dynamically loaded ones. A simple vector bar with a linear gradient fill will sufffice your needs quite well. Also, I suggest simply making one MovieClip that goes from zero bars, then puts one on, then another, and so forth, ovwer the spanse of say 100 frames. Then apply one bit of action script to that. And lastly, I don't suggest using scenes ever. They often mess things up, which is too bad cause they'd be cool if they didn't. Ask Viru, he helped me out first question I had, I couldn't get a preloader to work. All he did was move it to the main scene, and it worked fine.

    -beally-
    -------------------------
    a sweet site
    abeall webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  9. #9

    Thanks -beally- for the comments...
    The pop-up is stuffed... it will be replaced by a splash html page soon.
    As for the alignment... it's driving me crazy. I have used precise co-ordinates for everything, and if you zoom in, most are perfectly aligned... I have to mess them up to make them look right. It's on the job list!
    I probably confused everyone here... the preloader itself is vector... no jpgs except for the school crest. I mean that the rolling image-bar (used over and over to shot full colour pictures on the site)was had dynamic Jpegs. the preloader worked perfectly before I removed the fixed pictures and coded dynamic images, using loadmovie, XML etc.

    I'm pretty much giving up on scenes.... I've removed most of them, and there are only two left, one which contains the preloader to the whole movie, and the rest of the movie.

    Thanks for the feeback.

    Nathan B.

    Nathan B webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest