Professional Web Applications Themes

I HATE this, can't edit EPS - Macromedia Freehand

This is one good reason why I never use FreeHand if I can help it, but some clients do so I'm forced to occasionally. The scenario: Client provided FreeHand EPS with black background. I need to add support to the black. Open the file, and within is one object that can not be ungrouped, can not have it's contents cut, can't be editted! Arggg!! Why? Surely Macromedia can't be as stupid as not let you edit EPSs, right? It's me that's stupid right? I hope so. It's a good reason for me though why I'll never use FreeHand if I ...

  1. #1

    Default I HATE this, can't edit EPS

    This is one good reason why I never use FreeHand if I can help it, but some clients do so I'm forced to occasionally.

    The scenario:

    Client provided FreeHand EPS with black background. I need to add support to the black. Open the file, and within is one object that can not be ungrouped, can not have it's contents cut, can't be editted!

    Arggg!! Why? Surely Macromedia can't be as stupid as not let you edit EPSs, right? It's me that's stupid right? I hope so. It's a good reason for me though why I'll never use FreeHand if I can help it!

    My current solution is to open the EPS in Adobe Illustrator and in seconds I've accomplished what I was trying to do. The only gripe is I hate to do a convertion like that as FreeHand and Illustrator handle gradients differently, so in Illustrator, the FreeHand created gradients get chopped up. I prefer to work on a file within the program that created it, but FreeHand leaves me no choice but to abandon it.

    Help?
    Steve

    H.O.W.D.Y. Media webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: I HATE this, can't edit EPS

    I feel your pain. Been there, done that, so many times. Try exporting
    the FH eps as QuarkExpress type, this usually results in a FH eps that
    is editable. Also exporting FH as ver 7 seems to be more compatible with
    AI. Can't understand why a vector graphics app can't p an eps, talk
    about basics.
    Hope this helps. I just do more and more of my work in AI and ID./
    "H.O.W.D.Y. Media" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > This is one good reason why I never use FreeHand if I can help it, but some clients do so I'm forced to occasionally.
    >
    > The scenario:
    >
    > Client provided FreeHand EPS with black background. I need to add support to the black. Open the file, and within is one object that can not be ungrouped, can not have it's contents cut, can't be editted!
    >
    > Arggg!! Why? Surely Macromedia can't be as stupid as not let you edit EPSs, right? It's me that's stupid right? I hope so. It's a good reason for me though why I'll never use FreeHand if I can help it!
    >
    > My current solution is to open the EPS in Adobe Illustrator and in seconds I've accomplished what I was trying to do. The only gripe is I hate to do a convertion like that as FreeHand and Illustrator handle gradients differently, so in Illustrator, the FreeHand created gradients get chopped up. I prefer to work on a file within the program that created it, but FreeHand leaves me no choice but to abandon it.
    >
    > Help?
    > Steve

    William G. Dalzell Guest

  3. #3

    or if you have to do edits on a freehand file then, er, ask for it in a
    freehand format *.FHx?!
    dave

    "William G. Dalzell" <bdalzellbotlab.com> wrote in message
    > I feel your pain. Been there, done that, so many times. Try exporting
    > the FH eps as QuarkExpress type, this usually results in a FH eps that
    > is editable. Also exporting FH as ver 7 seems to be more compatible with
    > AI. Can't understand why a vector graphics app can't p an eps, talk
    > about basics.
    > Hope this helps. I just do more and more of my work in AI and ID./
    > "H.O.W.D.Y. Media" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > > This is one good reason why I never use FreeHand if I can help it, but
    some clients do so I'm forced to occasionally.

    > > The scenario:
    > >
    > > Client provided FreeHand EPS with black background. I need to add
    support to the black. Open the file, and within is one object that can not
    be ungrouped, can not have it's contents cut, can't be editted!

    > > Arggg!! Why? Surely Macromedia can't be as stupid as not let you edit
    EPSs, right? It's me that's stupid right? I hope so. It's a good reason for
    me though why I'll never use FreeHand if I can help it!

    > > My current solution is to open the EPS in Adobe Illustrator and in
    seconds I've accomplished what I was trying to do. The only gripe is I hate
    to do a convertion like that as FreeHand and Illustrator handle gradients
    differently, so in Illustrator, the FreeHand created gradients get chopped
    up. I prefer to work on a file within the program that created it, but
    FreeHand leaves me no choice but to abandon it.

    > > Help?
    > > Steve

    David Prescott Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks for sharing my pain!

    What program would you use to export the FreeHand file as a QuarkXpress EPS? Actually use the Quark 'Save Page As EPS' feautre and open that?

    And Dave, I wish it were that easy, but the way it goes, it will cost us more to delay a job that we can get on press quickly if I have to wait for the client to first respond to providing the original FreeHand file if they even have it themselves! The reality, I need to be able to edit whatever I receive as often as possible. If I can't do it there, I can do it after it's ripped, which is more of a pain.

    I just opened it in Illustrator and in 2 seconds fixed the problem. Just wondered if there was any quick way of doing it in FreeHand, but I guess that just is a world of wishing I'm living in!

  5. #5

    Let me join the love in. I have this problem at least twice a week. I
    agree that Macromedia should be able to provide an EPS filter that is useful
    and when I run the world...

    My solution most often is to p the EPS file to PDF and edit that in
    Freehand. Acrobat Distiller or any of a plethora of free online services
    will perform this for you. It is a conversion, with all that that entails,
    but its workable.

    If anyone from Macromedia is reading us out there, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE
    implement this feature. It would make your product infinitely more useful.

    Cheers,

    M. Bartlett

    "H.O.W.D.Y. Media" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > This is one good reason why I never use FreeHand if I can help it, but
    some clients do so I'm forced to occasionally.

    > The scenario:
    >
    > Client provided FreeHand EPS with black background. I need to add support
    to the black. Open the file, and within is one object that can not be
    ungrouped, can not have it's contents cut, can't be editted!

    > Arggg!! Why? Surely Macromedia can't be as stupid as not let you edit
    EPSs, right? It's me that's stupid right? I hope so. It's a good reason for
    me though why I'll never use FreeHand if I can help it!

    > My current solution is to open the EPS in Adobe Illustrator and in seconds
    I've accomplished what I was trying to do. The only gripe is I hate to do a
    convertion like that as FreeHand and Illustrator handle gradients
    differently, so in Illustrator, the FreeHand created gradients get chopped
    up. I prefer to work on a file within the program that created it, but
    FreeHand leaves me no choice but to abandon it.

    > Help?
    > Steve

    M.G. Bartlett Guest

  6. #6

    I was thinking more of having a system whereby if the client wants any edits
    (I.e.) it's not a complete/finished job that they send the FH doent as
    well. well at least in a perfect world ;)
    does distilling the file help at all if you then export an eps from there?
    no probably doesn't.
    well sounds like it's lucky you have illustrator, though it's a pain FH
    won't play ball.
    dave

    > Thanks for sharing my pain!
    >
    > What program would you use to export the FreeHand file as a QuarkXpress
    EPS? Actually use the Quark 'Save Page As EPS' feautre and open that?

    > And Dave, I wish it were that easy, but the way it goes, it will cost us
    more to delay a job that we can get on press quickly if I have to wait for
    the client to first respond to providing the original FreeHand file if they
    even have it themselves! The reality, I need to be able to edit whatever I
    receive as often as possible. If I can't do it there, I can do it after it's
    ripped, which is more of a pain.

    > I just opened it in Illustrator and in 2 seconds fixed the problem. Just
    wondered if there was any quick way of doing it in FreeHand, but I guess
    that just is a world of wishing I'm living in!

    > Steve

    David Prescott Guest

  7. #7

    Quark EPS is one of the export options in FreeHand. There are several
    flavors of EPS that FH exports, but the Quark version seems to be the
    best overall.

    Rich

    "H.O.W.D.Y. Media" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > What program would you use to export the FreeHand file as a QuarkXpress EPS? Actually use the Quark 'Save Page As EPS' feautre and open that?
    Rich Hudgins Guest

  8. #8

    First off, thank you all for your help, but the problem is one that contains no solution when FreeHand is involved. That again is why I'd never use it by choice.

    To recap, the problem was the client provided an uneditable FreeHand EPS, so that means I open the file and it's just as if I placed an image in a new doent. The question I had was if there was a feature I missed that would allow me to 'unlock' or 'ungroup' the information, but I understand now that FreeHand just thinks of the 'uneditable' EPS files as an embedded image.

    The only solution is obviously to edit it in Illustrator, as asking the client for the source file isn't an option for me unless it's a major problem.

    Thank you all,

  9. #9

    Hi Rich,

    I'm not sure if the good "editability" depends on the eps flavour which
    is generated when you choose Quark EPS. IMHO the main reason for this is
    (at least in my FH Version, 10.0 German Windows) that FH always embedds
    a FH-Doent into the EPS if you choose the Quark option.

    The main reason why Illustrator is really better when it comes to
    editing EPS might be something to to with the fact that Postscript was
    invented by Adobe...

    Arthur

    Rich Hudgins wrote:
    > Quark EPS is one of the export options in FreeHand. There are several
    > flavors of EPS that FH exports, but the Quark version seems to be the
    > best overall.
    [...]

    Arthur Bodemer Guest

  10. #10

    Steve,

    How about asking the client to have whoever is producing the FreeHand EPS
    file(s) to do so using the Quark EPS export option? Or would that be just as
    much hassle as asking for the native FH file?

    Bill Schuhle

    Bill Schuhle Guest

  11. #11

    Asking the client to resend files just holds the job up, as it is, I just looked at the printed sheets, so it's already through the press. Only only gradient looked kind of funny, but nothing someone without a trained eye would notice.

    It is easier to just change the file to be an Illustrator file than to mess with FreeHand.

    Thanks,

  12. #12

    You use the FH export and choose the QX compatiable as the format.

    "H.O.W.D.Y. Media" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > Thanks for sharing my pain!
    >
    > What program would you use to export the FreeHand file as a QuarkXpress EPS? Actually use the Quark 'Save Page As EPS' feautre and open that?
    >
    > And Dave, I wish it were that easy, but the way it goes, it will cost us more to delay a job that we can get on press quickly if I have to wait for the client to first respond to providing the original FreeHand file if they even have it themselves! The reality, I need to be able to edit whatever I receive as often as possible. If I can't do it there, I can do it after it's ripped, which is more of a pain.
    >
    > I just opened it in Illustrator and in 2 seconds fixed the problem. Just wondered if there was any quick way of doing it in FreeHand, but I guess that just is a world of wishing I'm living in!
    >
    > Steve

    William G. Dalzell Guest