Professional Web Applications Themes

"I killed Apple Computer" - Mac Applications & Software

http://apple.computerhistory.org/stories/storyReader$72 A very interesting essay from a former Apple employee on what went horribly wrong at Apple. -- Philip Stripling | email to the replyto address is presumed Legal Assistance on the Web | spam and read later. email to philip http://www.PhilipStripling.com/ | my domain is read daily....

  1. #1

    Default "I killed Apple Computer"

    http://apple.computerhistory.org/stories/storyReader$72
    A very interesting essay from a former Apple employee on what went horribly
    wrong at Apple.
    Legal Assistance on the Web | spam and read later. email to philip
    Phil Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: "I killed Apple Computer"

    In article <tdl.com>,
    Phil Stripling <zzn.com> wrote:

    Another post-mortem on a living subject. Apple seems to attract them.

    --
    Matthew T. Russotto net
    of justice is no virtue." But extreme restriction of liberty in pursuit of

  3. #3

    Phil Stripling wrote:

    It's not so much a vindication of your ironic reference to
    "what went horribly wrong", but rather an oft-recurring lament
    on how a corporation or research lab will always stagnate under
    the weight of its own subculture. It's the natural cycle of the
    capitalist world. In Apple's case, the stagnation has been
    demonstrated by its falling market share, which indicates it
    relies on a core group of users, resistant to change and inculcated
    in their own subculture, whose numbers don't increase with time.
    Thus, Apple's market share of less than 3% represents a continuing
    failure to recruit new users, who instead choose competing platforms.

    Given the nature of Apple's subculture, the market share can only
    continue to decrease, unless huge changes are made to eliminate
    the elitist, exclusionary nature of the user's subculture and replace
    it with a more populist culture that's in tune with the realities of
    the marketplace.

    I wouldn't so much compare Apple to an "eccentric uncle" as
    I would compare it to what happened to some famous research
    labs (Lawrence Livermore and Los Alamos) that were once the
    pinnacles of achievement in their field, but are now mainly
    perceived as security risks and money pits.
    George Guest

  4. #4

    In article <com>,
    George Williams <com> wrote:

    But 50% of the people who buy a Mac from the Apple retail stores have
    never owned a Mac before. So, it appears that Apple is attracting new
    users, but not at a higher rate than the industry in general.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  5. #5

    George Williams <com> writes:

    Ironic? Moi?

    Ah! So it's _my_ fault. Whew! That's got to be a load off the conscience
    of the author. We must let him know.

    Lofty company, indeed. Obviously, we must end the capitalist world as we
    know it. And Apple users must become inculctated in someone else's
    subculture. Maybe Microsoft, which of course is not perceived as a security
    risk and money pit. And its numbers do increase with time.

    Thank you, George. I think you've solved the problems.

  6. #6

    speakeasy.net (Matthew Russotto) writes:

    I think you've given a knee- reaction to what you think is another
    knee- article about the death of apple. I thought the author was
    largely correct, although his view is not necessarily the only correct one
    but probably a piece of a larger series of failures.

  7. #7

    >http://apple.computerhistory.org/stories/storyReader$72

    You'll get flamed here for this.

    Yes, I think the release of OSX has hurt Apple a little. The last time I
    looked at the stats, there was far more OS 9.x users. Many users do not want
    to change. OSX is much different than OS 9, and many users like me do not want
    to downgrade their Mac to a slower operating system. If Apple speeds up OSX or
    OS 11, then that will definately help.

    If Apple releases a Windows version of OSX it may help sales a little. I do
    not know what happened to the imac. It was a dominant selling machine in 1999.

    --------------
    Vote George W. Bush for President in 2004!
    Vote Arnold Schwarzenegger for California Governor in 2003!

    Leo Guest

  8. #8

    On 12 Sep 2003 15:46:38 -0700, Phil Stripling
    <zzn.com> wrote:

    >I think you've given a knee- reaction to what you think is another
    >knee- article about the death of apple. I thought the author was
    >largely correct, although his view is not necessarily the only correct one
    >but probably a piece of a larger series of failures.[/ref]

    Note that this article is from 1997, just as further proof that no one
    was ever more wrong than anyone who tried to pronounce Apple dead.
    forge Guest

  9. #9

    comnojunk (Leo) writes:

    :-) Nah. It's a realistic comment -- Guy and his crew have done their
    damage and moved on.

  10. #10

    forge <youneedageek.com> writes:

    I see that he says he was with Apple from 87 to 97 but that the pages says
    it was posted 9/2/2003 -- am I confused, or are you?

  11. #11

    Interesting essay and some good comments here in the newsgroup.

    As a card-carrying mac fanatic, I still think Apple has a great future -
    at least I hope.

    Regarding the pre-Jobs debacle at Apple, I think a lot (not all) the
    blame lies with the previous CEO's and senior management. Steve is an
    arrogant egotist but at least he get's the vision thing, which is what
    Apple sorely needed until his return.

    George Guest

  12. #12

    On 12 Sep 2003 20:32:08 -0700, Phil Stripling
    <zzn.com> wrote:

    >I see that he says he was with Apple from 87 to 97 but that the pages says
    >it was posted 9/2/2003 -- am I confused, or are you?[/ref]

    Why, I am, of course.
    forge Guest

  13. #13

    In article <com>,
    George Williams <com> wrote:

    Again this market share thing.

    --
    Daniel Packman
    NCAR/ACD

  14. #14

    In article <com>,
    George Williams <com> wrote:

    > It's not so much a vindication of your ironic reference to "what
    > went horribly wrong", but rather an oft-recurring lament on how a
    > corporation or research lab will always stagnate under the weight
    > of its own subculture. It's the natural cycle of the capitalist
    > world.[/ref]

    Far be it from me to defend the capitalist world, being as I am
    slightly to the left of the late Paul Wellstone's political ideology,
    but you got some kind of reference to back up this assertion? I'd be
    interested in reading it.

    Who are buying mainly on up-front price. On desktop systems, Apple
    gets spanked since you can't buy a new $400 Apple. In the laptop
    market, they are more competitive and have a larger market share.

    Apple has been quite attractive to new users with the original iMac,
    the new iMac and OS X. Traditionally, Apple users have had a longer
    upgrade cycle, since the equipment and OS have tended to "age better"
    than Windows has done. And lots of long-time Apple users have not
    upgraded to OS X for a variety of reasons. Heck, I bought a Mac 512Ke
    in 1986 that is still in service as someone's primary computer!

    Apple has certainly also *lost* users due to the high cost of
    upgrading- as a company, Apple has really not been all that loyal to
    its established user base. The decline in market share (compared to
    Windows systems rather than to other brands) has come from IMHO four
    sources: (1) established users not upgrading; (2) being outcompeted
    on price and retail accessibility; (3) losing established users to
    other operating systems; (4) new users not being numerous enough to
    offset these losses.

    Apple needs to attract a lot of new users to make up for these losses,
    and as you point out they have not managed to attract enough. At the
    same time, Apple has continued to be profitable and to sell millions
    and millions of computers.

    I beg to differ. Few people check out the "subculture" associated
    with a product before buying it. People see the marketing and look at
    the product; they buy the product (or not) by comparison to other
    options. Apple has never managed to sell a desktop computer at a
    really competitive price for the average computer user- a price point
    of about $500 is necessary, IMHO.
    Tim Guest

  15. #15

    In article <visi.com>, Tim McNamara
    <net> wrote:

    I think that's absolutely a factor. If people are like me, they love
    their Macs; their computer is a source of joy, fun, and a powerful tool
    psychologically linked to personal achievement and success. If my only
    computer experience was like the cheap, poorly designed Dells and
    Compaqs I use at work, upgrading to escape the unpleasantness would
    become a natural part of the psychology. I might be more apt to believe
    in the "latest-and-greatest" myth to think, "maybe if I upgrade, I'll
    finally have a more productive, less distasteful experience; maybe it'll
    finally be worth it and live up to the hype." My iceBook, on the other
    hand, practically calls me to use it--I have enjoyed it immensely for
    years and still do, and because of that, I have no intention of
    upgrading any time soon. It's just such a beautiful little feat of
    engineering. Apple is an amazing company.

    Rog
    Roger Guest

  16. #16

    In article <supernews.com>, Elden
    Fenison <org> wrote:

    We had that problem at the newspaper where I worked in 1987 or so when
    an arrogant bunch of Mac cronies came on board, and the confused suits
    thought that their knowledge of those mysterious computers somehow made
    them the only ones able to produce the newspaper. They were given the
    titles of editors and art directors (and played it to the hilt) ... but
    were all out the door within three years when even the suits twigged
    that they were really just overpaid technicians, that there was no
    magic formula in a computer, that you already had to be a proficient
    writer, editor or artist to make it do the job for which you bought it.
    Those folk did turn a lot of people off ... and off Macs, too, I
    believe.

    - hm
    Hownow Guest

  17. #17

    In article <com>, George
    <com> wrote:

    Moreover, everybody seems to have missed the fact that this employee's
    tenure starts with Job's ousting and ends with his return. The author
    is part of the horrible management that existed then. A critique of the
    company doesn't negate that fact. While he (and the G, and
    Sculley, et al) were running the show, the company lost market share,
    mind share, and didn't innovate a friggin' thing. Does he add anything
    that we didn't know? Not at all. Does he accept responsiblity? Not at
    all- just like Sculley, Amelio, and everyone else.
    Mikey Guest

  18. #18

    >Please don't take me wrong... my only computer is a Mac and I love it.

    I could not agree with you more...

    --------------

  19. #19

    >I think that's absolutely a factor. If people are like me, they love

    The Mac can be thought of in such ways.

    Now thats moving too far. Dell makes some preety nice computers. Better than
    Compaq, but most definately not poorly designed.

    --------------

  20. #20

    >:-) Nah. It's a realistic comment -- Guy and his crew have done their

    Indeed it is. Macs are great computers, but seriously have some major
    problems. One such problem is the speed of OSX. Hopefully 10.5 or OS 11 will
    fix this.
    Vote George W. Bush for President in 2004!
    Vote Arnold Schwarzenegger for California Governor in 2003!

    Leo Guest

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast