Professional Web Applications Themes

I'll probably get the finger on this one. - SCO

Atleast, I hope, it's a good one. A typical "finger" command truncates the 'Tty' column to 2 digits (below excerpt) when it should display p42 and p122. Login Name Tty Idle Login Time Where albert Albert Simmon *p42 3 Mon Oct 20 08:09 bhterm7 albert Albert Simmon *p12 9 Mon Oct 20 06:56 bhterm8 .. .. .. Is there a command or script to get the 'Login', *FULL* 'Tty', and 'Where' columns of any given 'Login' ? And if not, this may be a bug of "finger" which, I realize, may be a direct clone of the standard TCP package, ...

  1. #1

    Default I'll probably get the finger on this one.

    Atleast, I hope, it's a good one.

    A typical "finger" command truncates the 'Tty' column to 2 digits
    (below excerpt) when it should display p42 and p122.

    Login Name Tty Idle Login Time Where
    albert Albert Simmon *p42 3 Mon Oct 20 08:09 bhterm7
    albert Albert Simmon *p12 9 Mon Oct 20 06:56 bhterm8
    ..
    ..
    ..

    Is there a command or script to get the
    'Login', *FULL* 'Tty', and 'Where' columns of any given 'Login' ?

    And if not, this may be a bug of "finger" which, I realize,
    may be a direct clone of the standard TCP package, but,
    it has been in every release of SCO (thru 5.0.7) so far.
    Does anyone know if they'll ever modify/fix it to
    work correctly in SCO?

    A Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: I'll probably get the finger on this one.

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:07:41 -0500, A Fan <com> wrote:

    'Where' shows the IP address unless defined in /etc/hosts (maybe
    others).

    man finger discloses the '-l' option, which may be more information
    than you are really after.

    Are you trying to use the output from finger in a script as variables?

    Scott McMillan

    Scott Guest

  3. #3

    A Fan wrote:

    Use GNU pinky. It's included in the coreutils and sh-utils packages at
    ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/coreutils/coreutils-5.0.tar.bz2 and
    ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/sh-utils/sh-utils-2.0.tar.gz respectively.
    --
    Roger Cornelius org
    Roger Guest

  4. #4

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 13:14:22 -0400, Scott McMillan <net>
    wrote:

    >'Where' shows the IP address unless defined in /etc/hosts (maybe
    >others).

    >man finger discloses the '-l' option, which may be more information
    >than you are really after.
    >
    >Are you trying to use the output from finger in a script as variables?
    >

    >Scott McMillan[/ref]

    Yes. The output of finger, tty, login name, are all used
    to ensure their machine is either in the /etc/hosts table or not.
    The internet makes this a necessity. Newer systems may
    have firewall assitance but older ones do not and
    I need something that applies to all in a uniform manner.
    If the system has < 100 login license everything is OK.
    Even then, "finger -l myname" doesn't always supply all
    three variables. True!
    Besides, the one liner version has been easier to work with.

    A Guest

  5. #5

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:02:13 GMT, Roger Cornelius <org>
    wrote:

    >Use GNU pinky. It's included in the coreutils and sh-utils packages at
    >ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/coreutils/coreutils-5.0.tar.bz2 and
    >ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/sh-utils/sh-utils-2.0.tar.gz respectively.[/ref]

    A half-hour search just to NOT find bz2 for SCO - cancelled first
    package.

    Gunzipped and compiled second with numerous errors.
    While "pinky" did compile, I got some memory error everytime.
    BUT the source for the 'where' subroutine in "pinky"
    turned me on to the "who" program that has a
    "who -x" command that gives what I want. (As
    the system "who" as I got memory errors on the
    compiled "who" also).

    Thanks guy!

    A Guest

  6. #6

    A Fan typed (on Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 04:57:16PM -0500):
    | On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:02:13 GMT, Roger Cornelius <org>
    | wrote:
    |
    | >A Fan wrote:
    | >>
    | >> Atleast, I hope, it's a good one.
    | >>
    | >> A typical "finger" command truncates the 'Tty' column to 2 digits
    | >> (below excerpt) when it should display p42 and p122.
    | >>
    | >> Login Name Tty Idle Login Time Where
    | >> albert Albert Simmon *p42 3 Mon Oct 20 08:09 bhterm7
    | >> albert Albert Simmon *p12 9 Mon Oct 20 06:56 bhterm8
    | >> .
    | >> .
    | >> .
    | >>
    | >> Is there a command or script to get the
    | >> 'Login', *FULL* 'Tty', and 'Where' columns of any given 'Login' ?
    | >
    | >Use GNU pinky. It's included in the coreutils and sh-utils packages at
    | >ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/coreutils/coreutils-5.0.tar.bz2 and
    | >ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/sh-utils/sh-utils-2.0.tar.gz respectively.
    |
    | A half-hour search just to NOT find bz2 for SCO - cancelled first
    | package.

    Half-hour search for bzip2?
    Bzip2 source compiles with no problem.
    But Skunkware has bzip2 binaries, and so does ftp.jpr.com.

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Guest

  7. #7

    Jean-Pierre Radley <com> wrote in message news:<jpr.com>...

    He must not have tried such exotic and arcane things as punching
    "bzip2 sco" into google.

    That pulls up TWO links to binaries on the first page of results.
    They both happen to be mine, and one of the links is old and
    inconveniently packaged with gzip, and a dozen other ways exist to get
    them from various other places besides mine of course. But the point
    is just that even such a stab-in-the-dark guess with no special prior
    knowledge produces a suitable result since the other link to my
    binaries on the first page of google results goes to my current site
    which has newer bins and packaged in tar.Z

    (I have since cleared out my old site and replaced all index.html
    files with ones that re-direct to my current site)
    Brian Guest

  8. #8

    On 21 Oct 2003 14:46:59 -0700, com (Brian K. White) wrote:

    >He must not have tried such exotic and arcane things as punching
    >"bzip2 sco" into google.
    >
    >That pulls up TWO links to binaries on the first page of results.
    >They both happen to be mine, and one of the links is old and
    >inconveniently packaged with gzip, and a dozen other ways exist to get
    >them from various other places besides mine of course. But the point
    >is just that even such a stab-in-the-dark guess with no special prior
    >knowledge produces a suitable result since the other link to my
    >binaries on the first page of google results goes to my current site
    >which has newer bins and packaged in tar.Z
    >
    >(I have since cleared out my old site and replaced all index.html
    >files with ones that re-direct to my current site)[/ref]

    bzip? ?? "bz2 SCO" gets nowhere. "bz2 Skunkware", etc
    same. Never having seen the extension bz2 - who would
    have guessed? I am not an idiot. I am a very busy
    admin who requested alittle help. Indirectly,
    this gentlemen supplied the answer.

    You were just rude with much less help.

    A Guest

  9. #9

    A Fan <com> wrote in message news:<com>...

    > >He must not have tried such exotic and arcane things as punching
    > >"bzip2 sco" into google.
    > >
    > >That pulls up TWO links to binaries on the first page of results.
    > >They both happen to be mine, and one of the links is old and
    > >inconveniently packaged with gzip, and a dozen other ways exist to get
    > >them from various other places besides mine of course. But the point
    > >is just that even such a stab-in-the-dark guess with no special prior
    > >knowledge produces a suitable result since the other link to my
    > >binaries on the first page of google results goes to my current site
    > >which has newer bins and packaged in tar.Z
    > >
    > >(I have since cleared out my old site and replaced all index.html
    > >files with ones that re-direct to my current site)[/ref]
    >

    > bzip? ?? "bz2 SCO" gets nowhere. "bz2 Skunkware", etc
    > same. Never having seen the extension bz2 - who would
    > have guessed? I am not an idiot. I am a very busy
    > admin who requested alittle help. Indirectly,
    > this gentlemen supplied the answer.
    >
    > You were just rude with much less help.[/ref]

    I stand quite corrected.

    something.bz2 does not intrinsically imply "bzip2", you have to
    already know that .bz2 files are associated with a thing called
    "bzip2"

    I had completely failed to consider that.
    Brian Guest