Professional Web Applications Themes

I loved the power outage... - Adobe Photoshop Elements

VICKY, I do know what you mean. We'd often visit Grandma and Grandpa and watch the Airport Light wave across the sky (30 miles away). The crickets, bob whites and whipoorwills are all gone now, replaced by the crack of golf balls. I live on that property now and seldom see eaven the flicker of a star. Marty...

  1. #1

    Default Re: I loved the power outage...

    VICKY,
    I do know what you mean. We'd often visit Grandma and Grandpa and watch the Airport Light wave across the sky (30 miles away).
    The crickets, bob whites and whipoorwills are all gone now, replaced by the crack of golf balls. I live on that property now and seldom see eaven the flicker of a star.
    Marty
    Marty Landolt Guest

  2. #2

    Vicky

    As an avid amateur astronomer I was a bit miffed at the timing of the
    greatest of great power outages. It was just slightly past full moon and
    that is not a time astronomers observe. Hopefully next time it will be
    timed with new moon and we will all be able to see the milky way in all its
    glory and may just maybe we will be able to see gegenschein.

    Grant

    Grant Dixon Guest

  3. #3

    Next time?! Wash your mouth out!!! :)
    Beth Haney Guest

  4. #4

    Grant, have you had any success viewing Mars during its close approach? The
    light pollution here is so awful that it's hardly worth my lugging out my
    old reflector to take a peek...

    :-(

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  5. #5

    Chuck

    One of the unfortunate twist of nature is that when mars is closest it is at
    the lowest point in the heavens as seen from the northern hemisphere and
    hence we have to observe it through masses of turbulent air. Now our
    friends in Australia and points south do have a spectacular view of mars ...
    lucky sausages.

    Grant

    Grant Dixon Guest

  6. #6

    Grant, here at 30 degrees latitude it's pretty well up from the horizon;
    will look for an opportunity to head out into the countryside in the next
    few weeks with the moon waning.

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  7. #7

    Grant, I know, the moon was terrible. I'll make sure to put my order in
    for the next one. ;-)

    Vicky Bilaniuk Guest

  8. #8

    > <http://www.cojoweb.com/earthlights.html>

    Jane,

    Taking this image in to PSE and lightening brings out detail not evident in
    the web photo, especially in the Oceans. Change to RGB mode and an get
    some interesting colors too.

    Pete

    Pete D Guest

  9. #9

    Hi Pete :pbpt:

    Jodi Frye Guest

  10. #10

    Hi Pete, Wow! That is really neat! I never really played with the image before, but you can see the ocean and some islands that weren't visible before.
    I have a NASA site that you would love, I will see if I can find it.
    Lots of really neat stuff, I sometimes copy them to use for desktop patterns and stuff.
    <http://www.pbase.com/image/13899566>
    Here is an example.
    Found the link, had to go back to Netscape for it,,,,
    <http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/>
    Fun stuff.
    Jane
    Jane Douglass Guest

  11. #11

    Well, Andrew, I read an article in the paper about that a couple of days ago. They say that's just a bunch of fiction!! Statistical ysis of the birth rates of some major hospitals in the U. S. don't substantiate the claim of increased births nine months after major "thing" like this. Of course, statisticians can get numbers to say anything they want. My co-workers gave me my favorite sweatshirt several years ago on my birthday: "When all else fails, manipulate the data." Sounds good to me. You want the birthrate up in nine months? We can do that!
    Beth Haney Guest