Professional Web Applications Themes

I'm a newbie to the Mac world - help please! - Mac Applications & Software

"Cyde Weys" <net> wrote in message news:pryVa.20171$gnilink.net...    that strange because the antenna is inside of the screen so it's quite a big antenna. Any USB card is good.   if you want to compile yourself some stuff, the best is to download the develloper tools (you're sure to have all the library you need) on the apple web site. You register and you can download the file for free. If you want a lot of open source applications, without having to compile all by yourself (compiling is not always easy : the problem comes usually from the library path), ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: I'm a newbie to the Mac world - help please!

    "Cyde Weys" <net> wrote in message

    that strange because the antenna is inside of the screen so it's quite a big
    antenna.
    Any USB card is good.

    if you want to compile yourself some stuff, the best is to download the
    develloper tools
    (you're sure to have all the library you need) on the apple web site. You
    register and you
    can download the file for free.

    If you want a lot of open source applications, without having to compile all by
    yourself
    (compiling is not always easy : the problem comes usually from the library
    path),
    I recommand fink : http://fink.sourceforge.net/
    very easy to use and a lot of the unix applications are here.
    I come from Unix too, and I have to say that fink is very good. I installed a X
    server with
    gnome and gtk, I have latex, my favorite version of emacs , gimp, gv, ..........

    come Guest

  2. #2

    In article <pryVa.20171$gnilink.net>,
    Cyde Weys <net> wrote:

    From the PB G4 17" specifications from Apple's website:
    "Slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
    -Writes DVD-R discs at 1x speed; reads DVDs at 8x speed
    -Writes CD-R discs at 8x speed; writes CD-RW discs at 4x speed
    -Reads CDs at 24x speed"

    You should have gotten the same information in your user guide/manual
    with the machine. I got it from the Apple Website, Support section,
    specifications.

    Recommending a product would be easier if you were more specific about
    what ranges you had in mind when you say "enough". When you speak about
    horn-type antennas, I suspect that non-horn types won't be satisfactory.
    As for connecting an external antenna, all you really need is to get the
    antenna connector to the outside of the PB. If you use a PC-Card, you
    will of course have to remove the built-in antenna or buy one with an
    antenna jack. If you wish to route the AirPort Extreme cart to your
    external antenna, you will have to get a connector of the proper type on
    the end of the right sort of wire (impedance matching is important
    here), and run that wire out of the case. Actual work is left as an
    exercise. I've seen a number of website that show how to hook your
    "cantenna" up to various computers, portable or not, and they might give
    hints (though probably not with the 17" yet). There is also an article
    in a recent MacWorld that shows a similar operation on an older
    BaseStation that might be helpful.

    OR, you might buy a BaseStation or other wireless router that features a
    jack for an external antenna, and connect your "pringles can" to the
    router, and your computer to the router (typically, this would be
    through a wire, unless the router were at the far end of the signal
    path).

    Sorry, dunno.

    Look at the standard download sites for lists (VersionTracker,
    download.com, etc.). You can also search the group archives (e.g. go to
    Google-groups) and find many threads that begin by debating the merits
    of various News readers and devolve into flame-fests. Typically these
    threads have as a title something like "Best Newsreader for Mac" or
    similar.

    HTH.

    --
    later.

    johajohn AT indianahoosiers DOT edu

    Remove the adjective to reply. Indiana is a noun.
    John Guest

  3. #3

    In article <supernews.com>,
    Steve W. Jackson <net> wrote: