Professional Web Applications Themes

I'm considering a Mac, but .... - Mac Applications & Software

1) Will mail comining into the Mail app be movable into a contacts folder/address book somehow? 2) Is there a calender that rivals Outlook for efficiency (appointments and contacts sliding from mail into dates) and clean looks? Palm and Chronos don't do it for me. I also don't want to drop a bundle on Entourage and have allthe bells and whistlkes I won't use if I already have a Mac. 4) Am I going to have browser compatability problems with a lot of sites, if I use Jaguar? Can I convert a Write file into Word and e-mail it through ...

  1. #1

    Default I'm considering a Mac, but ....

    1) Will mail comining into the Mail app be movable into a contacts
    folder/address book somehow? 2) Is there a calender that rivals
    Outlook for efficiency (appointments and contacts sliding from mail
    into dates) and clean looks? Palm and Chronos don't do it for me. I
    also don't want to drop a bundle on Entourage and have allthe bells
    and whistlkes I won't use if I already have a Mac. 4) Am I going to
    have browser compatability problems with a lot of sites, if I use
    Jaguar? Can I convert a Write file into Word and e-mail it through the
    Mail app?

    Thanks.

    (A virus-ridden Wintel user.)
    David Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: I'm considering a Mac, but ....

    In article <google.com>,
    net (David Kilo) wrote:

    I hate to say this, but Entourage is going to be the closest you're
    going to find to Outlook on the Mac, and you can buy it without having
    to buy the whole Office X package. Another alternative is to use iCal
    with the Apple address book (using iSync to keep stuff synchronized on a
    PDA if you have one) but I don't know if that will meet your criteria
    for "efficiency".

    There are certainly some sites out there that have explicitly coded so
    that they required IE running on Windows. And there are sites that do
    checks to see if a browser is either Netscape or IE, as if those were
    the only two choices. But I haven't run into very many of either kind,
    and in any case it's possible to have Safari pretend it's a different
    browser type.

    As for converting a Write file into a Word file...I don't know. You can
    certainly mail a Word doent through Mail, but I don't know about any
    conversion programs for this.
    --
    Kevin Michael Vail | Dogbert: That's circular reasoning.
    net | Dilbert: I prefer to think of it as no loose ends.

  3. #3

    In article <google.com>,
    net (David Kilo) wrote:

    I think you can configure Mail to automatically add addresses to Address
    Book.

    I'm not sure about that...I don't use any calendaring solutions right
    now.

    Definitely not with "a lot" of sites. Safari works great for every site
    I visit on a regular basis. For the rare occasions when I get pointed
    to a site that doesn't work with Safari, the site almost always works
    with Camino or IE.

    I'm not sure what Write is. I'm pretty sure you can convert an
    AppleWorks doent to Word format, but you can also run Word itself --
    it's great on the Mac.

    And you can email anything you want through Mail. :)

    -Eric

    --
    Eric Albert edu
    http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~ejalbert/

  4. #4

    net (David Kilo) writes:

    Hi, David,

    Let me turn the questions around -- say a Mac user were considering
    switching to Windows and listed some Mac apps with questions on how to make
    Windows work like a Mac. I think most Windows users would not know what the
    Mac apps were and would have no idea how to make windows apps work like
    Macs. I suspect the general recommendation would be "get with the program
    -- you're on Windows now."

    As you note in your parentheses, I don't use Microsoft products because of
    the viruses, worms, and macro-viruses. I don't accept Word docs. If you
    want to be virus-free, switch to a Mac and don't worry aobut making it work
    with your Microsoft stuff -- it will if you want it to, but please consider
    it a fresh start instead. You'll be fine.
    Legal Assistance on the Web | spam and read later. email to philip
    Phil Guest

  5. #5

    In article <google.com>, David
    Kilo <net> wrote:

    Not sure exactly what you mean. You mean you want to add the sender's
    e-mail address to an address book? If so, use Address Book (built-in
    and system-wide). Chances are, you can use Address Book anyway even if
    this isn't what you meant.

    Try Now Up-to-Date (formerly from Now Software, thus the name, but now
    owned by PowerOn Software). You'll find it at
    <http://www.poweronsoftware.com/now/tour/>. It's *excellent*. I once
    set up a quite robust system for a previous employer involving
    networked calendars accessible by physicians at a hospital, their
    secretaries and anyone else needing access. All with nothing but Now
    Up-to-Date -- not even a server machine. (The physician's machines
    doubled as the server for their calendar, which never caused any
    problems of any kind. If the doc's machine went down, chances are he
    wouldn't be complaining about not being able to access his calendar!
    ;-) Okay, so it caused some problems for the secretaries on the rare
    occasion when this happened, but with OS X, that's exceedingly
    unlikely. We were still using System 7.5 at the time, IIRC.)

    Step 3? There's no step 3!

    ;-)

    (You'd kind of have to be a Mac fan who has seen the relevant Apple ad
    on TV...)

    You mean problems with web sites not rendering correctly or whatnot?
    No. You might if you use Apple's browser, Safari, though this is
    extremely rare in my experience. However, you can also get Internet
    Explorer, Netscape, Mozilla and a variety of other browsers on a Mac.
    In fact, IE is installed by default on new Macs. I've *never* had a
    problem with incorrect rendering using IE (more because of sites'
    mindless pandering to Microsoft's spawn than to any greatness in IE).

    A Write file? Not sure what that is. Certainly you can get Microsoft
    Word on the Mac, and certainly you can e-mail a file through Mail.
    Though I don't use Mail, I'd be highly surprised if Mail didn't send
    attachments in such a way that PC users could deal with them.
    Certainly it's not a problem with Eudora.

    BTW, if you need MS Office but don't want to spend the money, and you
    would like to end your association with Microsoft altogether, *and*
    you're not afraid of Unix and X Windows, you can get Open Office (from
    <http://www.openoffice.org/>) and X11 (from Apple) and run an extremely
    capable and full-featured imitation of Office that also happens to be
    totally free and open-source.

    Oh, say good-bye to those. (Unless you must use MS Word doents with
    macros activated.)

    --
    -Thomas

    <http://www.bitjuggler.com/>
    Thomas Guest

  6. #6

    net (David Kilo) writes:

    MacOS includes an address book program. I'm pretty sure it's
    integrated with the Mail app, but I can't say for sure.

    I don't actually use Apple's Mail and Address Book programs. I
    prefer to use Mozilla for these functions.

    Apple's official calendar program is iCal. I can't say anything
    about it because I don't use it. I use my Palm handheld for my
    calendar functionality and use the Palm Desktop program merely to
    back up the databases in the handheld.

    You mentioned that you're going to be using Word. If so, seriously
    consider the full Office v.X bundle - which consists of Word, Excel,
    PowerPoint and Entourage.

    I think you may want Entourage, given your description of your
    requirements.

    Microsoft recently reduced the price on Office, so it's very
    attractive right now.

    Depends on what browser you use.

    There are a lot of choices for Mac users. You have the (outdated)
    Internet Explorer. Apple's preferred browser is Safari. There's
    also Mozilla. I use Mozilla and Safari for my browsing.

    Also available from different vendors are Opera, OmniWeb and a few
    others. But I've never used them

    I don't know if Word comes with translators for Write files. I don't
    own Word, and so haven't really tested it very much. I did try
    importing various legacy Word file formats and found that it seems to
    import stuff from old versions of Mac-Word and Word-for-Windows, but
    doesn't seem to support Word-for-DOS.

    I currently use AppleWorks for my office tools. It comes with some
    basic file-translation filters. I purchased the full version of Mac
    Link Plus to allow me to translate other file formats. MacLink Plus
    does an OK job of coverting the files, but it is limited by the fact
    that AppleWorks is a simpler program that doesn't support all the
    features that Word does.

    Your ability to e-mail a file has nothing to do with your office
    suite. You can attach any file to any mail message.

    -- David
    David Guest

  7. #7

    net (David Kilo) writes:

    Do you mean to move the content of the e-mail messages into
    the addressbook for archiving?

    I can't say that I love iCal, but it's okay (and very pretty).

    However, Entourage can be purchased stand-alone, without the
    rest of MS office, if you want it. It's under $100.

    I use Palm for contacts, but hate Palm's calendar. Actually, the
    main calendar app I use is Dave Warker's Remember! which has been
    around for many many years.

    Nope. Very few problems and typically if I run into a broken site
    that causes Safari trouble, it works fine with Camino.

    Yeh, but don't. Mailing Word docs is awfully unfriendly.

    (And I figure you mean an Appleworks doc).

    No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
    BreadWithSpam@fractious.net Guest