Professional Web Applications Themes

I'm lost - Photography

New to the digital camera world and having finally admitted to myself that my AE-1 is (a little) outdated, I am curently shopping around to find out what's best for me. The choice is huge and I am a little lost. I want something simple to use if need be (my wife hates having to play around with manual settings before taking photos) but which will allow me to progress later on. I see that the Canon G3 is highly recommended but then so is the S50 which is also a lot lighter. And a friend of mine has just ...

  1. #1

    Default I'm lost

    New to the digital camera world and having finally admitted to myself that
    my AE-1 is (a little) outdated, I am curently shopping around to find out
    what's best for me. The choice is huge and I am a little lost. I want
    something simple to use if need be (my wife hates having to play around with
    manual settings before taking photos) but which will allow me to progress
    later on. I see that the Canon G3 is highly recommended but then so is the
    S50 which is also a lot lighter. And a friend of mine has just bought a Sony
    DSC-92 which he swears by (I didn't even know Sony made cameras...). The G3,
    at 490g battery included does seem heavy when compared to other models but
    it seems to be capable of doing so many things. What to do ? Or am I just
    spoilt for choice ?

    Does anyone have any ideas on the subject ?

    Thanks

    --
    Peter Kennedy

    Peter Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: I'm lost

    One of the biggest differences between the cameras you mention is that
    some have a flash hotshoe and the others don't. Decide on that and
    then you can narrow your choice down a bit. If you decide to go
    without, you can still pick up a sync'd external flash. I'm sure
    other contributors to this discussion group will be able to offer you
    examples and suggestions. You should also say what kind of photos you
    like to take, how many at a time, etc. The more specific you get, the
    better advice you'll get.

    Peter

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:01:54 +0200, "Peter Kennedy"
    <com> wrote:

    Digital Photography Reference
    http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/PJDigPhot.htm
    Touchup, an image viewing applet (also shows EXIF)
    http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/software.htm
    Health, happiness and healing
    http://www.SuperNaturalWoman.com
    Peter Guest

  3. #3

    Peter Jones recommends:

    Good advice. The only thing I'd add is to get a camera that works on manual, in
    that manual focus, manual aperture and shutter speed, are settable. Check the
    macro distances, too. Closer is always better.

    All of this stuff can be changed back, usually by punching the P (Program)
    button, so the camera would remain suitable for the OP's wife.

    Charlie Self

    "If our democracy is to flourish, it must have criticism; if our government is
    to function it must have dissent."
    Henry Commager

    Charlie Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks.

    Yes, I did see that about the flash hotshoe on the G3 which presumably means
    that the flash I already use on my AE-1 would be suitable for the G3. My
    wife likes to take snapshots whereas I like to spend a little more time on
    subjects and come away with something more interesting.

    The biggest downside with the G3 is its weight as the missus wants something
    she can carry around in her handbag otherwise I'd go and buy it today.

    Peter

    "Peter Jones" <canada.earth> a écrit dans le message de news:
    com... [/ref]
    that [/ref]
    with [/ref]
    the [/ref]
    Sony [/ref]
    G3, [/ref]
    but

    > Digital Photography Reference
    > http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/PJDigPhot.htm
    > Touchup, an image viewing applet (also shows EXIF)
    > http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/software.htm
    > Health, happiness and healing
    > http://www.SuperNaturalWoman.com[/ref]

    Peter Guest

  5. #5

    I also have an AE-1 and continue to use it heavily even though I have
    been into digital photography for years.

    You can buy a print scanner for less than 100 bucks that will create
    excellent high res image files. Buy one of them and a medium priced 3Mp
    digital P&S. Use the later for less critical work. I have an Oly
    C3000Z. When you want to take an image that will require the best
    resolution and quality, like when you intend to do a lot of editing, use
    the AE-1 and digitize a 4 x 6 print. Even at 600 dpi, this gives an
    image of 3600 x 2400, a huge image file.

    Only thing to watch out for is to expose film properly. A print scanner
    loses dynamic range on film that does not go into print, so your prints
    must be properly exposed and printed. Assuming you've been using the
    AE-1 for awhile, that shouldn't be a problem.

    Peter Kennedy wrote:

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota
    net

  6. #6

    I really understand,
    it is a nightmare finding the right Digital camera.
    I wanted any NIkon, [after having a fuji, which was simple but some
    distortion]
    ideally I would have had a Nikon 5700, I really would,
    [Dream !!] but I couldn't aford it, next on my list was a Nikon990
    WHICH WAS TOO EXPENSIVE,
    SO I finally settled on a NIkon 885, [secondhand but used once]
    some may laugh[?]
    but what you said about your wife's handbag made me want to recommend it,
    pros, it has a fully rechargable battery.,
    it is tiny
    it is nice to hold,
    the photos have A3 quality which means I can use it
    with my A3 printer,
    I love it
    cons
    it took me a bout three months to work out how to use it,
    and I am sure I still haven't used it to it's full capacity
    it is a bit twiddly changing the settings
    and automatic isn't too good
    if you want to see some of my photos I will email
    then to you
    you will be surprised,
    really
    Best Wishes
    Gea Jones

    "Peter Kennedy" <com> wrote in message
    with
    Sony
    G3,

    Gea Guest

  7. #7

    "Peter Kennedy" <com> wrote in

    Not necessarily. You must check to see if your old flash system is safe to
    use on a digital camera. Some older flashes present too high a voltage
    across the hotshoe terminals when charged and ready to fire.

    --
    Regards,
    Baz

    http://www.trevellan.co.uk
    Basiltoo Guest

  8. #8

    Doesn't that pretty much say it all, at least in the Canon camp. The G
    series really isn't a pocket or purse camera, and the S series is. With the
    S series you lose the external flash shoe, some lens speed, and the great
    rotate-flip LCD to get the small size. You keep the full manual controls as
    well as Auto mode.

    "Peter Kennedy" <com> wrote in message
    something

    Mick Guest

  9. #9

    combleah (Charlie Self) wrote in

    Don't count on using the manual focus much. It is not all
    that useful on my G2. Near to impossible to see the focus
    and the ergonomics for focussing is ... ehem .. not there.

    I use the manual focussing for setting an approximate focus
    whenever the camera cannot focus itself, mainly at infinity
    in low light.

    One more thing - the G series can use filters, the S series
    cannot. The G3 also have a built in ND filter, which can come in
    handy in bright sunshine.

    Roland
    Roland Guest

  10. #10

    "Gea Jones" <com> wrote in message news:... [/ref]
    that [/ref]
    out
    > with [/ref]
    progress [/ref]