Professional Web Applications Themes

Im too dumb to program - Ruby

Because Im a moron....

  1. #1

    Default Im too dumb to program

    Because Im a moron.
    Lester Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: I´m too dumb to program

    --Boundary-02=_7KtJAaBUjFh8wBD

    On Sunday 08 February 2004 3:30 pm, Lester T. Linpord wrote:

    But Ruby makes programming easy, even for morons. =3D)

    =2D-=20
    Wesley J. Landaker <net>
    OpenPGP FP: 4135 2A3B 4726 ACC5 9094 0097 F0A9 8A4C 4CD6 E3D2

    --Boundary-02=_7KtJAaBUjFh8wBD

    --Boundary-02=_7KtJAaBUjFh8wBD--

    Wesley Guest

  3. #3

    sounds like it

    Lester T. Linpord wrote:

    --
    Rove Monteux
    Systems Administrator

    com

    Rove Guest

  4. #4

    "Rove Monteux" <com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > --
    > Rove Monteux
    > Systems Administrator
    >
    > com[/ref]

    Insight is the first step to improvement - as a German figure of speech
    says. :-)

    robert

    Robert Guest

  5. #5

    Rove Monteux <com> wrote in message news:<com>...

    Well, I think this has the potential to be an interesting thread
    (at least to me). Here's why:

    If the skills of the world's programmers were graphed into the
    typical bell curve, I would definitely be found to the left of
    the middle. Not for lack of effort, rather for lack of gray-cell
    power! So maybe I am too dumb to program, but I'd like to try.

    With that said, would people recommend Ruby to someone like me?
    I read about the "principle of least surprise" (or something to
    that effect), and I was intrigued. I have tried Perl, and I am
    dismayed at the "explosion at an ASCII factory" effect. I have
    tried PHP, and I love it but I'd like something more OOP and more
    general purpose both.

    I'd be interested in your opinions.

    Thanks,

    --
    Rob
    Rob Guest

  6. #6

    Quoting,

    Again, sounds like it. Give it a try, may be for you, may be not, to simplify the matter, Id suggest a read through this one.

    http://www.scriptol.org/choose.php

    Good list with a 'why to use it' column right beside it.

    May be of help.

    Cheers

    Rove Monteux

    Rob Bryant wrote:

    >Well, I think this has the potential to be an interesting thread
    >(at least to me). Here's why:
    >
    >If the skills of the world's programmers were graphed into the
    >typical bell curve, I would definitely be found to the left of
    >the middle. Not for lack of effort, rather for lack of gray-cell
    >power! So maybe I am too dumb to program, but I'd like to try.
    >
    >With that said, would people recommend Ruby to someone like me?
    >I read about the "principle of least surprise" (or something to
    >that effect), and I was intrigued. I have tried Perl, and I am
    >dismayed at the "explosion at an ASCII factory" effect. I have
    >tried PHP, and I love it but I'd like something more OOP and more
    >general purpose both.
    >
    >I'd be interested in your opinions.
    >
    >Thanks,

    Rove Monteux
    Systems Administrator

    com

    Rove Guest

  7. #7

    On Tuesday, February 10, 2004, 6:19:57 AM, Rob wrote:

    Ruby satisfies these criteria in spades. No reason you won't like it.

    Although (it seems) most Ruby programmers are already decent
    programmers before they use Ruby, the amount of built-in functionality
    (e.g. methods in Array, String, Enumerable, Hash, File, ...) means
    that novice programmers can get stuff done right away.

    Cheers,
    Gavin

    Gavin Guest

  8. #8

    "Rob Bryant" <com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > Well, I think this has the potential to be an interesting thread
    > (at least to me). Here's why:
    >
    > If the skills of the world's programmers were graphed into the
    > typical bell curve, I would definitely be found to the left of
    > the middle. Not for lack of effort, rather for lack of gray-cell
    > power! So maybe I am too dumb to program, but I'd like to try.
    >
    > With that said, would people recommend Ruby to someone like me?
    > I read about the "principle of least surprise" (or something to
    > that effect), and I was intrigued. I have tried Perl, and I am
    > dismayed at the "explosion at an ASCII factory" effect. I have
    > tried PHP, and I love it but I'd like something more OOP and more
    > general purpose both.
    >
    > I'd be interested in your opinions.[/ref]

    Go for Ruby! I has clean OO, much cleaner syntax than perl etc.

    Welcome to the world of Ruby!

    robert

    Robert Guest

  9. #9

    "Rob Bryant" <com> skrev i en meddelelse

    Experienced programmers and beginners have one thing in common. Neither
    wants unnecessary obstacles when it comes to writing a program.

    Ruby has this dual nature of being very easy and very complex. Effortless
    complexity.

    If Ruby were only very simple, it would quickly become difficult to write
    complex programs. This is not the case. Ruby grows with your skills and
    rarely gets in your way.

    Otherwise you grab a tutorial and get started:
    http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/ruby-doc-bundle/Tutorial/index.html
    http://hellotree.gotdns.com/LearnToProgram/
    http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/ruby-doc-bundle/

    Of course, if you are really dumb and have previous experience with Java
    etc. and still want to shell out 800 euro for an introductionary two day
    course: http://www.wellho.net/course/rpfull.html

    Mikkel

    MikkelFJ Guest

  10. #10

    > > With that said, would people recommend Ruby to someone like me? [/ref]

    If you're using MS Windows then try out the FREE Gui4Cli script
    language.

    http://gui4cli.com
    or
    http://users.hol.gr/~dck/g4c/

    Gui4Cli is designed to bring the ease and power of a scripting
    language to MS Windows API programming.

    With the included Gui4Cli version of the SciTE editor, you'll be able
    to write simple programs with REAL Windows displays. In fact you can
    put the SciTE editor into your own GUIs.

    Gui4Cli is what MSDOS batch programming should have become on Windows.
    You can even make all your old command line programs look like Windows
    programs!

    You can use Gui4Cli as it's own complete programming language. Or you
    can just use it to let your user select your program options from a
    professional looking Windows GUI using Menus, Textboxes, Buttons,
    Checkboxes, Radiobuttons etc. And then running a Ruby program from the
    GUI at the touch of a button is as easy as creating a MyGui.gui script
    like:
    --------
    G4C MyGui
    WINDOW #center #center 300 100 "My First Gui"

    xOnClose
    guiquit MyGui

    xOnLoad
    guiopen MyGui

    xCheckBox 10 10 280 25 "Run with option X?" optX On Off ON

    xCheckBox 10 35 280 25 "Run with option Y?" opty On Off OFF

    xButton 75 60 150 25 "Run My Ruby Program"
    run ":myprog.rbw" "$optX $optY"
    ---------

    And when you have that killer application perfected, you can use
    Gui4Cli to create a installation package to distribute your program as
    a single .exe file!

    If you need to talk between your different G4C GUI's, it is built in:
    ---------
    address MyOtherGui
    send data "hello I need report z"
    ---------

    There also is an optional g4c.pyd dll to talk with Python scripts.

    And you can even extend the G4C language with dll's written in C. And
    you call your new functions just by adding lines like:
    --------
    mydllname.myfirstfunction arg1 arg2
    mydllname.mysecondfunction arg1 arg2 arg3
    --------

    There are many tutorial GUI programs to examine. The doention is
    extensive and if you can't figure something out just go to the Gui4Cli
    users group on Yahoo and ask.

    http://groups./group/gui4cli/archives.cgi

    Note: If someone knows Ruby Win32Api programming, Gui4Cli it is just
    waiting to be interfaced to Ruby! And the Python dll window interface
    source is available to copy from!
    Richard Guest

  11. #11

    yes :-P