Professional Web Applications Themes

I need a little cloning help! - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Hi, Sometimes I can clone just fine. Other times, it's almost like I have a dirty brush. I start cloning, say sky, but when I move to other spots, it seems to pick up colors from other portions of the picture and becomes messy. Perhaps I'm underestimating how much of a scene the clone tool picks up, or something. Last nite I was cloning blue sky and white clouds. When I moved down, it seemed to pick up the red from someone's shirt, eveything got smeary. I tend to choose the cloning (with the Alt key) then stamp a spot, ...

  1. #1

    Default I need a little cloning help!

    Hi,

    Sometimes I can clone just fine.

    Other times, it's almost like I have a dirty brush. I start cloning, say sky, but when I move to other spots, it seems to pick up colors from other portions of the picture and becomes messy.

    Perhaps I'm underestimating how much of a scene the clone tool picks up, or something.

    Last nite I was cloning blue sky and white clouds. When I moved down, it seemed to pick up the red from someone's shirt, eveything got smeary.

    I tend to choose the cloning (with the Alt key) then stamp a spot, move, stamp another spot, etc. And there are times when it's like my stamp has gone dry!

    What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help.

    Lorace
    Lorace_Graham@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: I need a little cloning help!

    Look in the Option bar when you have the Clone tool open. You can choose either Aligned or Unaligned. I can't do a good job of explaining the difference, but basically, with Aligned checked, Elements will keep changing based on "X" number of pixels from the original sample. With Unaligned checked, you will always have the original sample. That's not a very clear explanation, but if you look, I bet you'll see Aligned has been chosen.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    When you have "Aligned" selected, the sampled area changes relative to where your cursor is. When it is not selected, wherever you take your sample, that same sample will be pasted everywhere regardless of how you move your cursor.
    Jim_Hess@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    You did a much better job of explaining that than I did, Jim. Thanks. This is just one of those things I "know"! :)
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Beth,

    I know what you mean. I think I understand what I am trying to say, but it just doesn't come out right sometimes.

    Jim
    Jim_Hess@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Well, you both did a great job of explaining. I understand perfectly and I certainly thank you, Beth and Jim.

    Before I responded, of course, I tried it and saw the difference immediately.

    That was interesting, Jim, how it changes as to where your cursor is. That's what I was experiencing. ha ha. It truly did feel like my brush was wet.

    Anyway, I'm a happy cloner now. Have to get everything in 'alignment' now. lol

    Thanks.