Professional Web Applications Themes

I stand corrected - Mac Applications & Software

I just presumed there was such a product based on seeing an ad for two 'virtual' softwares. I saw 'virtual PC', and I have used it (unsuccessfully as noted in my original post). I falsely presumed the other product in the ad was 'Virtual Mac'. It seemed logical to me. I mean if a currency converter can convert from US$ to Cambdian riels, 'certainly' the reverse is also true. Apparently I was wrong. Now there would be a useful product! Why(technically, market, or legally) is is there only a one way version? I rpesume it comes down to money and ...

  1. #1

    Default I stand corrected

    I just presumed there was such a product based on seeing an ad for two
    'virtual' softwares. I saw 'virtual PC', and I have used it
    (unsuccessfully as noted in my original post). I falsely presumed the
    other product in the ad was 'Virtual Mac'.

    It seemed logical to me. I mean if a currency converter can convert
    from US$ to Cambdian riels, 'certainly' the reverse is also true.
    Apparently I was wrong. Now there would be a useful product!
    Why(technically, market, or legally) is is there only a one way
    version? I rpesume it comes down to money and control - Apple's
    reluctance to sub out knowledge as with Newton.
    Marian Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: I stand corrected

    In article <e807dbe9.0307151626.6e224620posting.google.com >,
    [email]postonly_2005[/email] (Marian) wrote:
    > I just presumed there was such a product based on seeing an ad for two
    > 'virtual' softwares. I saw 'virtual PC', and I have used it
    > (unsuccessfully as noted in my original post). I falsely presumed the
    > other product in the ad was 'Virtual Mac'.
    >
    > It seemed logical to me. I mean if a currency converter can convert
    > from US$ to Cambdian riels, 'certainly' the reverse is also true.
    > Apparently I was wrong. Now there would be a useful product!
    > Why(technically, market, or legally) is is there only a one way
    > version? I rpesume it comes down to money and control - Apple's
    > reluctance to sub out knowledge as with Newton.
    More likely, those who would be capable of developing such a tool just
    don't see enough potential sales to justify the effort. I don't know
    what the legal issues would be, but I think that they'd be secondary to
    the question of how many people would buy such a tool if it existed.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See [url]http://www.atomicbird.com/[/url]

  3. #3

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:26:52 +1000, Marian wrote
    (in message <e807dbe9.0307151626.6e224620posting.google.com>) :

    It'd help if you gave a bit more insight into the previous
    discussion, or simply followed up in the original thread (but
    changed the subject, perhaps).
    > I just presumed there was such a product based on seeing an ad for two
    > 'virtual' softwares. I saw 'virtual PC', and I have used it
    > (unsuccessfully as noted in my original post). I falsely presumed the
    > other product in the ad was 'Virtual Mac'.
    SoftPC or SoftWindows (depending on incarnation), is _probably_ the
    other.
    > It seemed logical to me. I mean if a currency converter can convert
    > from US$ to Cambdian riels, 'certainly' the reverse is also true.
    Technically, it is possible. Financially, it isn't viable. [little
    market + massive engineering task = large cost to make with little
    hope of profit]
    > Apparently I was wrong. Now there would be a useful product!
    > Why(technically, market, or legally) is is there only a one way
    > version? I rpesume it comes down to money and control - Apple's
    > reluctance to sub out knowledge as with Newton.
    Essentially, yes. PC components aren't as proprietary as Apple's,
    so duplicating them in software (a ROM image) isn't as difficult
    [licensing the infomation is cheaper].

    Have Fun
    Martin
    --
    aa #1792

    Almost always SMASHed

    Martin Crisp Guest

  4. #4

    In article <e807dbe9.0307151626.6e224620posting.google.com >,
    [email]postonly_2005[/email] (Marian) wrote:
    > I just presumed there was such a product based on seeing an ad for two
    > 'virtual' softwares. I saw 'virtual PC', and I have used it
    > (unsuccessfully as noted in my original post). I falsely presumed the
    > other product in the ad was 'Virtual Mac'.
    >
    > It seemed logical to me. I mean if a currency converter can convert
    > from US$ to Cambdian riels, 'certainly' the reverse is also true.
    > Apparently I was wrong. Now there would be a useful product!
    > Why(technically, market, or legally) is is there only a one way
    > version? I rpesume it comes down to money and control

    I think that's part of it, but you also have to consider as a factor the
    complexity of emulating any recent PowerPC on an IA-32 machine. A
    currency converter is just the same simple calculation no matter which
    units are the source and target. Emulating a complete computer system is
    not a symmetric task. Aside from certain coding techniques that are
    emulator-hostile, VirtualPC actually does a fairly good job. The pinball
    game that came with the stock NT4 install was eminently playable on a
    200MHz 604e, for example. If you think through the implications of that,
    they suggests that the reverse emulation would be somewhat less
    successful.
    > - Apple's reluctance to sub out knowledge as with Newton.
    Actually, there were non-Apple providers of Newton-based devices while
    it was a live technology. While the MessagePad and similar products are
    no longer being produced, I believe some of the distinctive technology
    of the has been and will be slipped into the desktop OS over time.

    Gregory Weston Guest

  5. #5

    >Why(technically, market, or legally) is is there only a one way
    >version?
    Up until now, much of the API for Apple's operating system has been located in
    the ROMs of various macintosh machines. Because the contents of these ROMs is
    protected by copyright, it would require Apple's permission to distribute any
    Mac emulator that would run on a differnt platform.

    Modern Macs do not put the Toolbox in ROM; instead, they use a ROM-in-RAM
    system (the "MacOS ROM" file is the Toolbox routines that were stored in ROM on
    older Macs). However, licensing this code would still require Apple's
    permission. You see, a Windows box is just hardware and a BIOS; you can emulate
    both in software without stepping n copyright. But a Mac contains design
    elements, such as ROM code, that can't be emulated without raising copyright
    issues.

    On top of that, modern PowerPC processors are "RISC" processors.

    Now, it is possible to emulate any processor architecture on any other
    processor--you could write a Windows emulator on an old Radio Shack TRS-80, if
    you didn't mind that it would be very, very slow--but for technical reasons
    that are beyond the scope of a single UseNet message, emulating a RISC
    processor on an Intel machine is a much more difficult challenge than emulating
    an Intel processor on a RISC machine.

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: [url]http://www.villaintees.com[/url]
    [url]http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html[/url]

    Tacit Guest

  6. #6

    On 18 Jul 2003 01:28:02 GMT, [email]tacitraol.com[/email] (Tacit) wrote:
    >>I used to have a PC emulator that ran on my Motorola 68000-powered
    >>Atari ST. No joke. Slowest thing you ever saw, but it ran!
    >
    >Dear God. Did its emulation speed reach into the megahertz, or could you time
    >the emulated CPU in kilohertz?
    It was pretty much a hand-cranked system = )

    forge Guest

  7. #7

    In article <e807dbe9.0307151626.6e224620posting.google.com >,
    [email]postonly_2005[/email] (Marian) wrote:
    >I just presumed there was such a product based on seeing an ad for two
    >'virtual' softwares. I saw 'virtual PC', and I have used it
    >(unsuccessfully as noted in my original post). I falsely presumed the
    >other product in the ad was 'Virtual Mac'.
    >
    >It seemed logical to me. I mean if a currency converter can convert
    >from US$ to Cambdian riels, 'certainly' the reverse is also true.
    >Apparently I was wrong. Now there would be a useful product!
    >Why(technically, market, or legally) is is there only a one way
    >version? I rpesume it comes down to money and control - Apple's
    >reluctance to sub out knowledge as with Newton.
    Emulation is not just simple money exchange. Emulation may be more like to
    modify a car to fly and modify a airplane to drive on highway.

    Shih Shoh-cheng Guest