Professional Web Applications Themes

I will miss... - Macromedia Freehand

The acquistion of Macromedia by Adobe has a lot of uncertainties. I am not optimistic about FH surviving. I will miss it because it is such a wonderful program. But the other thing I will miss is this forum. The Adobe forums are restrictive and bersome in comparison. I doubt if I will bother to subscribe. The regulars who posted answers to questions on this forum have been my heroes. I want to thank davecc, Wes, Pappy and all the other regulars. Most of all I want to thank Judy, the most helpful, knowledgeable, friendly, gracious, and patient person I ...

  1. #1

    Default I will miss...

    The acquistion of Macromedia by Adobe has a lot of uncertainties. I am
    not optimistic about FH surviving. I will miss it because it is such a
    wonderful program.

    But the other thing I will miss is this forum. The Adobe forums are
    restrictive and bersome in comparison. I doubt if I will bother to
    subscribe.

    The regulars who posted answers to questions on this forum have been my
    heroes. I want to thank davecc, Wes, Pappy and all the other regulars.
    Most of all I want to thank Judy, the most helpful, knowledgeable,
    friendly, gracious, and patient person I have come to know on this or
    any other forum. She embodies all that is good about Freehand.

    Snif, that's all.

    dp
    D. Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: I will miss...

    In article <d7niqg$dah$macromedia.com>,
    "D. Plank" <net> wrote:

    Well, it would be a shame if it disappeared entirely but let's wait and
    see. Fontographer has already been sold to a company that cares about it
    and is working on an update, the first in almost a decade.

    Yeah, I second that - Judy is the soul of FreeHand!

    --
    Cheers Martin
    Martin Guest

  3. #3

    D. Plank,

    Are you going to be full time in Illustrator? Don't give up on Freehand as
    nothing final was said about the merger and the future of Freehand. I am still
    confident that things would work out well for us FH fans and you should visit
    the forums from time to time to see what are the latest developments. I agree,
    Judy is the best.

    davecc

    davecc Guest

  4. #4

    Aww, you guys are so sweet. I'm blushing.

    There have been many helpful people on the forums over the years and I've
    learned from all of you. I'm glad I've been able to help in return.

    It's way too soon to give up on FreeHand. The waiting may be a bit
    stressful, but it's too early to hold a wake.

    Think about it. There's lots of useful software, other than the number-one
    best sellers in any given category, that's being marketed. Why? Because it's
    making money for its owners. If there's any profit to be had in continuing
    to develop and market FreeHand, then FreeHand lives. I know I'll pay. You'll
    pay. Long live FreeHand! :-)

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  5. #5

    Martin Sammtleben wrote:

    > Yeah, I second that - Judy is the soul of FreeHand![/ref]

    Well put. I've learned a tremendous amount just reading her posts. We
    should give her an unofficial title.
    Wes Guest

  6. #6

    I'm happy you found it since FreeHand lost it around version 7.

    Like I've said in a post below. Whatever happens to FreeHand don't blame Adobe - Macromedia ed it up in the first place.

    Jukka
    Armadillo Guest

  7. #7

    Ah, Judy. You are very sweet, but in this case maybe naive.

    I hope that I am wrong and you are right, I have loved Freehand from
    version 2.0 in 1989 or so.

    The fact of the matter is that corporate big wigs (and big heads) don't
    care about profits. They only want obscene profits. At one of my former
    employers I saw the corporation close down a completely profitable
    division (an entire division) just because it wasn't profitable
    "enough". It made several hundred thousand dollars that year, but all
    the other divisions were making more, so "out you go". Never mind the
    hundreds or even thousands of customers that depended on that division
    for their cleanroom garments.

    This is the same mentality that pushed Macromedia to give up on print
    altogether. If they had continued working hard on the Freehand Graphics
    Suite (my goodness, I just realized that it used to be the FLAGSHIP
    product), with Extreme 3d, xRes, and Fontographer, they could have given
    Adobe a run for their money. But they put everything into the web.

    I'm crossing my fingers and hoping you are right, but for now, I'm
    secretly seeing a mistress. My true love is looking sickly and may not
    be long for this world.

    Judy Arndt wrote:
    Tim Hines

    Tim Guest

  8. #8

    Tim Hines wrote:

    Me too. Let's look at some of the possibilities.

    1. Adobe continues to develop and market FH indefinitely in tandem with AI.
    Highly unlikely.

    2. Adobe incorporates the best of FH into AI or a new Adobe application.
    Possible, but the FH ways of selection and point manipulation that we've
    grown to love are likely to be lost in favor of 'the AI way'. They'd use
    FH's multi-page, F&RG, point alignment, multi-path-selection one-step Join,
    knife tool, and a host of other refinements we FH users enjoy.

    3. FreeHand ceases to exist. Possible. But why toss software with an
    established customer base? Customers don't just vanish off the face of the
    planet. They be throwing away a lot of goodwill. Some of us would move to
    CorelDraw or Canvas as our main drawing app.

    4. A third-party company buys FH and continues its development. Possible.
    Even if Adobe doesn't want FH, does that mean no smaller software company
    does?

    5. Think positively. Maybe the original FH team from Altsys/Aldus (some now
    retired or semi-retired) will get together to form a new company to buy FH.
    Free from Macromedia's web-centric constraints they could take FH's
    drawing-tool superiority and run with it. (They could fix some of the FHMX
    group-selection problems while they're at it.)

    You can choose optimism or you can choose pessimism. I'm not going to get
    myself all worked up and sick with worry until we hear an official statement
    from Macromedia and/or Adobe. The deal is supposed to be finalized in a few
    months. Who expected Fontographer to survive after an even longer period of
    neglect? Pleasant surprises are always possible.

    I choose optimism. :-)

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  9. #9

    Good on you, Judy!

    I find myself keenly interested in what will happen over the next few months.
    Either FH is sold to a third party developer and (hopefully) given new legs, or
    stripped-out bits of its code, some of the more elegant and wonderfully
    functional bits, will find themselves in... what, Adobe Illustrator CS 3?

    Seeing as I am already on the CS bandwagon, I'm confident I would buy into the
    new Illustrator when it ships in a year to 18 months' time - especially one
    which had global find-and-replace, the graceful copying and pasting of
    attributes, and the ability to paste inside an object rather than the tedious
    and clumsy masking 'feature' with which Illustrator users have long had to
    contend.

    That said, I would be very surprised if FH's handy multiple pages feature were
    folded into a new version of Illustrator. I just don't see it happening. Ditto
    the way the pen tool works in AI as opposed to how it does in FH... old habits
    die hard, whether you're in AI or FH. But I would welcome a unification of all
    the cool distortion tools these apps have separately offered.... tweaking,
    bloating, fractalizing, adding points, punking, roughening... a nice suite of
    tools, all in one 'pouch,' would be tr?s cool. Toss in the ability to full-page
    zoom in on an object, via a quick keyboard command, so that it's centered on
    screen... that's something in FH I very much appreciate once I've been working
    in Illustrator for a few hours.

    I guess what I am saying is that I too am optimistic. I certainly wasn't at
    first, but things look different to me now. After all, anything is better than
    the slow and steady decline this app had been stuck in. Now I find a teensy ray
    of hope that the very best of what FreeHand has to offer will manifest itself
    in some unknown future product.

    Hey, it's a nice dream, anyway.

    ;)

    maxman23 Guest

  10. #10

    On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 12:46:16 +0100, maxman23 wrote
    (in article <d7s4a8$hub$macromedia.com>):

    It's probably not the right forum to follow this up, but there is a very
    handy script (available at Adobe Studio) that provides this valuable function
    to Illustrator. It's called ZoomAndCenterSelection.
    Unfortunately Illustrator doesn't allow assigning keyboard shortcuts to
    scripts, nor including scripts in Actions (it has to be a bug), so you'll
    need a macro application such as Quickeys or iKey to assign a keyboard
    command to it.

    --
    Michael

    mhp at o2 dot ie

    Michael Guest

  11. #11

    >...and the ability to paste inside an object rather than the tedious and

    I hear this complaint occasionally, but must admit to not really
    understanding it. A cliping path in FH is practically idential to that in
    Illustrator. How is selecting a bunch of objects, copying, selecting another
    object, then invoking Paste Inside of any practical or efficiency advantage
    over selecting all the objects, with the one which is to serve as the clip
    path topmost, and then invoking Object>Clipping Path>Make? Between these two
    interfaces, you could flip a coin as far as I'm concerned. The end result is
    functionally identical. One is no less a "mask" than the other. (I don't
    care for AI's display of the whole contents when selected, but that's a
    whole other matter.)

    JET

    James Guest

  12. #12

    I certainly like the way AI keeps everything in seperate layers within the
    clipping path if it is created via the layers panel button. From a
    cartographic standpoint where layers are critical for keeping artwork neatly
    organised this feature has become a favourite. It also allows movinjg
    objects and layers into and out from the clipping path very easily.

    mg

    "James E. Talmage" <com> wrote in message

    > I hear this complaint occasionally, but must admit to not really
    > understanding it. A cliping path in FH is practically idential to that in
    > Illustrator. How is selecting a bunch of objects, copying, selecting[/ref]
    another
    advantage
    two
    is

    Martin Guest

  13. #13

    James E. Talmage wrote:

    > I hear this complaint occasionally, but must admit to not really
    > understanding it. A cliping path in FH is practically idential to that in
    > Illustrator. How is selecting a bunch of objects, copying, selecting another
    > object, then invoking Paste Inside of any practical or efficiency advantage
    > over selecting all the objects, with the one which is to serve as the clip
    > path topmost, and then invoking Object>Clipping Path>Make? Between these two
    > interfaces, you could flip a coin as far as I'm concerned. The end result is
    > functionally identical. One is no less a "mask" than the other. (I don't
    > care for AI's display of the whole contents when selected, but that's a
    > whole other matter.)[/ref]

    I probably have to work with them a bit more to get comfortable with
    mask but I do find it confusing. If Adobe had an option to display only
    the art inside the mask it would make working with masks much easier.
    Wes Guest

  14. #14

    This is really a question for the Illustrator forum, but an AI/Mac forum
    search doesn't bring up any satisfactory answers, so I'll ask here.

    I haven't figured out how, in AI 10, to get the FH equivalent of 'Name all
    Colors'. I get files from clients that have all kinds of colors which I need
    to translate to a limited range of spot colors. I'd be lost without my
    beloved 'Name all colors'/ Find & Replace color routines.

    Does AI CS2 have a 'Name all colors' operation?

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  15. #15

    Judy

    There is a Java script that will sort of do this on the Adobe Studio
    Exchange:
    http://share.studio.adobe.com/axAssetDetailSubmit.asp?aID=10312&back=http%3A%2F% 2Fshare%2Estudio%2Eadobe%2Ecom%2FaxBrowseSubmit%2E asp%3Fc%3D123

    mg

    "Judy Arndt" <ca> wrote in message
    need

    Martin Guest

  16. #16

    > I probably have to work with them a bit more to get comfortable with mask

    But, Wes, that's what I don't understand...why are people refering to AI's
    clipping paths as "masks." They are the same thing as a clip path (paste
    inside) in FH.

    AI does have Transparency Masks, but that's a whole different thing from an
    ordinary clipping path.

    JET

    James Guest

  17. #17

    > I haven't figured out how, in AI 10, to get the FH equivalent of 'Name all

    Illustrator does not have an equivalent. (I'm forever amazed at how
    difficult it is to explain to AI devotees why this is so valuable a
    feature.)

    I've seen posts mentioning problems with the Javascript Martin referred to.
    I haven't tried it myself yet. The limitation re colors in grad stops is one
    problem. But the fact that one of the reviews says it does not make the new
    colors Global leads me to assume they are not retro-active to existing
    objects. Just adding the colors of pre-existing objects to the color list is
    not enough; you need for edits to those colors to automatically update the
    pre-existing objects.

    I think the retro-active aspect of it *could* be done in Javascript, though.
    I haven't got around to trying it yet.

    Although I consider user-built scripts and 3rd party plug-ins mere
    workarounds and poor substitutes for features which clearly should be
    built-in, AI's Javascript has helped ease my FH "pangs" considerably by
    enabling me to emulate a few other FH-ish things which AI still lacks. I've
    made my own scripts for:

    Joining multiple paths (straight or curvey)
    Splitting multiple points
    Deleting multiple points
    Reversing direction of selected paths
    Retracting handles
    Closing selected paths

    Right now, I'm working on one which I think will "auto extend" handles of
    straight segments to my liking.

    So I do consider AI's Javascript support a major advantage in that it can
    not only fill in some potholes (again, not to be compared with a proper
    re-paving), but it can also add "features" which neither AI nor FH have:

    Ellipse By Sine lets me tell AI what "angle" ellipse I want, just like using
    plastic ellipse templates. I select the script, a dialog appears, I enter 35
    (or whatever) and get a 35 degree ellipse.

    Polygon By Side asks me how many sides I want, and how long I want each side
    to be. I want a pentagon with 6.375" sides, that's what I get.

    Fill Random lets me select two objects (usually a Symbol and a rectangle)
    and enter a number. It then fills the rectangle with my number of
    randomly-distributed instances.

    Random Fill Swatch randomly shuffles the fills of selected paths with the
    Swatches defined in the Swatches Palette.

    LatLongSphere instantly draws a wireframe sphere with as many latitude and
    longitude lines, and at whatever tilt angle I specify.

    So while I often sigh and pine away for certain favorite FH features, too, I
    do take AI's Javascript as a major "consolation."

    Mind you, I'm no programmer. Fact is, Javascript isn't really difficult to
    pick up enough to make good use of. And frankly, when I consider this, and
    the ramifications of even larger-scale things like PDF and Flash being under
    the same roof, even my path-drawing efficiency pet peeves begin to dim a
    little in the overall scheme of things.

    JET

    James Guest

  18. #18

    If you choose expand after you make a clipping path in Illstrator is
    will cut the objects outside the clipping path and they will no longer
    show as part of the selection.

    Wes Rand wrote:

    >> I hear this complaint occasionally, but must admit to not really
    >> understanding it. A cliping path in FH is practically idential to that
    >> in Illustrator. How is selecting a bunch of objects, copying,
    >> selecting another object, then invoking Paste Inside of any practical
    >> or efficiency advantage over selecting all the objects, with the one
    >> which is to serve as the clip path topmost, and then invoking
    >> Object>Clipping Path>Make? Between these two interfaces, you could
    >> flip a coin as far as I'm concerned. The end result is functionally
    >> identical. One is no less a "mask" than the other. (I don't care for
    >> AI's display of the whole contents when selected, but that's a whole
    >> other matter.)[/ref]
    >

    > I probably have to work with them a bit more to get comfortable with
    > mask but I do find it confusing. If Adobe had an option to display only
    > the art inside the mask it would make working with masks much easier.[/ref]
    D. Guest

  19. #19

    D. Plank wrote:

    Does that trim the objects? I'd like to keep the objects whole and just
    mask the display when selected.
    Wes Guest

  20. #20

    James E. Talmage wrote:

    > But, Wes, that's what I don't understand...why are people refering to AI's
    > clipping paths as "masks." They are the same thing as a clip path (paste
    > inside) in FH.
    >
    > AI does have Transparency Masks, but that's a whole different thing from an
    > ordinary clipping path.[/ref]

    Sorry, I guess my unfamiliarity with Illustrator is showing! I guess it
    is the way Illustrator gives visual feedback that makes the clipping
    path look like a mask since it doesn't clip the highlight.
    Wes Guest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast