Professional Web Applications Themes

I would like to simulate depth of field with graduated gaussen blur - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Is there a way to use the gradient tool and gaussen blur to create a mild to strong blur similar to a close up photo with a camera lens opened up to reduce depth of field? I am trying to take product shots for a brochure and want to gradually blur the background. Any help is appreciated. thanks Bob...

  1. #1

    Default I would like to simulate depth of field with graduated gaussen blur

    Is there a way to use the gradient tool and gaussen blur to create a mild to strong blur similar to a close up photo with a camera lens opened up to reduce depth of field? I am trying to take product shots for a brochure and want to gradually blur the background. Any help is appreciated. thanks Bob
    Bob Wolfe Guest

  2. #2

    Bob, here's one way to do it - it involves using a Fill Layer as a mask,
    something that gets around some limitations of Elements to do layer masking:

    1. Open your image
    2. Duplicate the Background Layer (Layer>Duplicate Layer)
    3. Apply the maximum Gaussian blur you want in your graduated image to this
    duplicate layer.
    4. In the Layers palette, go back to the Background layer, then add a Fill
    Layer (Layer<New Fill Layer<Color White)
    5. In the Layers palette, point at the blurred layer and do a Layer<Group
    with Previous.
    6. Point at the Fill Layer and use the gradient tool, black to white,
    radial, to paint on the Fill Layer mask. (You actually manipulate the
    gradient on the full image display, not on layer mask itself. You should
    find that wherever the mask is black, the unblurred background (bottom)
    layer will show through; wherever it's white, the blur will be complete, and
    shades of gray change the amount of blurring.

    I'm running out the door, so I wrote this fast; hopefully, it'll work as
    described. Please get back with more questions.

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  3. #3

    Chuck,
    I tried to figure this out this morning, and could not get it. I tried your method now, and got it to work. I like it! I think I get why it works. You create a background, of any color, and put a mask over that background color. Then you link it to the blurred image above. Since the blurred image is above the background fill layer, it shows over the background color. But the grouping links the mask to both the background color and the blurred image?
    As I learn Elements, I am trying to understand specifically how Photoshop 7 is more powerful than Elements. In PS7, can you make a mask directly on any layer, like you can on the adjustment layers in Elements?
    Eric Matthes Guest

  4. #4

    Eric, re PS7, yes, you can add a mask to any layer, not just adjustment or
    fill layers. But it's kinda fun to work around the limitation in Elements.
    I'll admit to not understanding why the grouped layer approach works, but it
    does; in effect, the Fill layer is just acting as a sort of mask for the
    layer above. Elements is so much fun!!

    :-)

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  5. #5

    Chuck,
    Thank you for your help. I tried it and it works perfectly. I was able to repeat the whole process and blur the front of the image as well as behind. The pictures look great. Thanks Again Bob
    Bob Wolfe Guest

  6. #6

    Bob, whew! I wrote that note so fast I was afraid I had left out something
    critical.... Glad it worked!

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest