Professional Web Applications Themes

IBM switching to Linux destops in Germany according to a Linux Forum 2006 - Windows Vista

Dear all, IBM switching to Linux destops in Germany according to a Linux Forum 2006. How do you think about this? It means IBM is not upgrade to Vista!...

  1. #1

    Default IBM switching to Linux destops in Germany according to a Linux Forum 2006

    Dear all,
    IBM switching to Linux destops in Germany according to a Linux Forum 2006.
    How do you think about this? It means IBM is not upgrade to Vista!

    Chhan Rithy Guest

  2. #2

    Well, they might well be using a form of Linux so that they can customise
    the OS to exactly how it suits them... and to be fair, Linux is probably
    more secure in the sense that it doesn't have to be updated every few days
    because of security flaws etc.

    --
    Zack Whittaker
    Microsoft Beta (Windows Server R2 Beta Mentor)

    --- Original message follows ---
    "Chhan Rithy" <012973110mobitel.com.kh> wrote in message
    > Dear all,
    > IBM switching to Linux destops in Germany according to a Linux Forum 2006.
    > How do you think about this? It means IBM is not upgrade to Vista!

    Zack Whittaker \(R2 Mentor\) Guest

  3. #3

    Windows does not have to be updated every few days, where did you get that
    from? The reason why IBM didn't renew their contract with Microsoft was
    simply because Linux is a part of their over all strategy and they want to
    embrace in every way possible. Also, they are not forcing their employees to
    move to Linux, they can still stick with current versions of Windows, just
    that they won't have an option to upgrade on IBMs expense.

    Novell has also done this, so its not really a surprise, plus, IBM is not in
    the PC business anymore, its all about Server hardware, Services, software
    such as IBM Workplace, Notes/Domino and AIX. So in conclusion, I would say,
    surprising, I would say "What took them so long?"
    Andre
    Windows Connect | [url]http://www.windowsconnected.com[/url]
    Extended64 | [url]http://www.extended64.com[/url]
    Blog | [url]http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre[/url]
    [url]http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta[/url]

    "Zack Whittaker (R2 Mentor)" <adminzacknet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Well, they might well be using a form of Linux so that they can customise
    > the OS to exactly how it suits them... and to be fair, Linux is probably
    > more secure in the sense that it doesn't have to be updated every few days
    > because of security flaws etc.
    >
    > --
    > Zack Whittaker
    > Microsoft Beta (Windows Server R2 Beta Mentor)
    > ZackNET Enterprises: [url]www.zacknet.co.uk[/url]
    > MSBlog on ResDev: [url]http://msblog.resdev.net[/url]
    > ZackNET Forum: [url]www.zacknet.co.uk/forum[/url]
    > VistaBase: [url]www.zacknet.co.uk/vistabase[/url]
    > This mailing is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no
    > rights. All opinions expressed are those of myself unless stated so, and
    > not
    > of my employer, best friend, mother or cat. Let's be clear on that one!
    >

    > --- Original message follows ---
    > "Chhan Rithy" <012973110mobitel.com.kh> wrote in message
    >> Dear all,
    >> IBM switching to Linux destops in Germany according to a Linux Forum
    >> 2006. How do you think about this? It means IBM is not upgrade to Vista!

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64] Guest

  4. #4

    > Well, they might well be using a form of Linux so that they can customise
    > the OS to exactly how it suits them... and to be fair, Linux is probably
    > more secure in the sense that it doesn't have to be updated every few days
    > because of security flaws etc.
    No it's every few hours over there :)

    which of course is, in principle, the primary attraction of "open-source" -
    that you don't have to appeal to some mystic court of sages and wait on them
    in order to implement anything :)

    Adahn Guest

  5. #5

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
    > Windows does not have to be updated every few days, where did you get that
    > from? The reason why IBM didn't renew their contract with Microsoft was
    > simply because Linux is a part of their over all strategy and they want to
    > embrace in every way possible. Also, they are not forcing their employees to
    > move to Linux, they can still stick with current versions of Windows, just
    > that they won't have an option to upgrade on IBMs expense.
    >
    > Novell has also done this, so its not really a surprise, plus, IBM is not in
    > the PC business anymore, its all about Server hardware, Services, software
    > such as IBM Workplace, Notes/Domino and AIX. So in conclusion, I would say,
    > surprising, I would say "What took them so long?"
    After all, IBM never has put a Windows key on their desktops or laptops.
    (Lenovo hasn't done this yet either.) It seems that IBM has not laid
    down the olive branch since OS/2 Warp days. It's just my opinion, but I
    have always preferred alternate OSes to Windows. Not to say that
    Windows doesn't have it's place. I suppose it is even possible that
    Vista may succeed in things that past versions of Windows have not, but
    I am a skeptic.
    nubian Guest

  6. #6

    It seems that IBM has not laid down the olive branch since OS/2 Warp days.

    I made a similar comment on my MSN Space about this story. IBM is obviously
    still keeping malice over what happened with Windows 95 and MS delaying them
    access to the software. So, in a way, its pay back time. But, I think that
    payback time is probably bit too late, with nearly 1 billion Windows users
    and counting, 100,000 IBM employees moving to Linux is nothing more than a
    in the wind to MS.

  7. #7

    Oh course it does, all the bloody time... update this, update that, Windows
    Defender definitions this, security fix that...

  8. #8

    Windows Defender patches are usually released on thursdays, month Windows
    patches, on Tuesdays. That is not all the time, and there is a thing called
    Automatic updates that MS piorneered, so it updates the system in the
    background. Get your facts straight Zack.

  9. #9

    Oh shut up. Every few bloody days there's a popup for Windows Defender, that
    doesn't install properly on any of my machines and keeps repeating the same
    update again and again. I don't like "automatic" updates, as I prefer to see
    what's going on, when and where. I don't think that's too much to ask.

  10. #10

    Zack Whittaker (R2 Mentor) wrote:
    > Oh shut up. Every few bloody days there's a popup for Windows Defender, that
    > doesn't install properly on any of my machines and keeps repeating the same
    > update again and again. I don't like "automatic" updates, as I prefer to see
    > what's going on, when and where. I don't think that's too much to ask.

    Same experience on my machine. All updates are supposed to download and
    install by themselves. The Defender updates only download but never install.
    Mike Williams Guest

  11. #11

    I reported it in as a bug, but it's just whether they end up fixing it or
    not... eeshk!

  12. #12

    Well to be fair it IS a beta.

    So fact is, it's expected.

    "Mike Williams" <mikewm-v-p-s.org.null> wrote in message
    > Zack Whittaker (R2 Mentor) wrote:
    >> Oh shut up. Every few bloody days there's a popup for Windows Defender,
    >> that doesn't install properly on any of my machines and keeps repeating
    >> the same update again and again. I don't like "automatic" updates, as I
    >> prefer to see what's going on, when and where. I don't think that's too
    >> much to ask.
    >>

    > Same experience on my machine. All updates are supposed to download and
    > install by themselves. The Defender updates only download but never
    > install.

    Test Man Guest

  13. #13

    Test Man wrote:
    > Well to be fair it IS a beta.
    >
    > So fact is, it's expected.
    Bugs are expected. Individual issues, almost by definition, are not.

    Even with the beta status, Microsoft is inviting paid subscriptions for
    OneCare. Rather premature!
    Mike Williams Guest

  14. #14

    You are a liar Zack, and you should be ashamed for spreading false rumors. I
    proved it again too:
    "Every few bloody days there's a popup for Windows Defender"
    There is no icon popping up for Windows Defender on Vista, if there are
    updates, its represented by the Windows Update icon in the notification
    area, you have to open it to really see if its definitions or driver
    updates.

    If you are seeing the Windows Defender brick wall icon in the Windows XP,
    the thats a different story, you are not suppose to bug WD for XP issues
    under BETA client, do that in the microsoft.private.security.spyware.general
    ngs.

    I am not saying both products have issues, but don't make up stuff, you have
    not thoroughly investigated how the product functions and putting it in a
    bad light when half of what you are saying is not true.

  15. #15

    No, again you misrepresented my words. I should have made it much clearer:
    > "Every few bloody days there's a popup for Windows Defender"
    I should have said:
    "Every few bloody days, there is a Windows Update shield icon popping up,
    asking to update the definition files for Windows Defender".

    And yes, there is - and it IS broken because no matter how many times I
    download and install the updates, they keep popping back up. Mike said the
    same thing pretty much:
    "Same experience on my machine. All updates are supposed to download and
    install by themselves. The Defender updates only download but never
    install."

    I would appreciate it if you didn't call me a liar, and instead asked calmly
    for me to clarify what I had said, as it makes you look bad otherwise :o)

  16. #16

    That liar means - Get your facts straight.

  17. #17

    Hi,

    Well, it isn't that linear. Both OSes have their strenghts and their
    weaknesses. I use and like them both, and they are VERY different in nature.
    One isn't better than the other - they are simply different, and both good
    at what they're supposed to do. There isn't a better OS - just a better OS
    for a given job. What is good for one thing can be bad for another.

    Andre Nogueira

    "Grok" <grokno-email.com> wrote in message
    > Chhan Rithy wrote:
    > | Dear all,
    > | IBM switching to Linux destops in Germany according to a Linux Forum
    > 2006.
    > | How do you think about this? It means IBM is not upgrade to Vista!
    >
    > If they want to choose Linux and failure that's their business.
    > Personally,
    > I'd recommend they reconsider and choose Windows and success.
    >
    > ---
    > Grok

    Andre Nogueira Guest

  18. #18

    I would very much prefer it if you spoke to me in a civil manner, there's no
    need to be like that at all. I rushed that post, I should have elaborated
    and I apologise for that. It's neither lying nor getting fact's straight - I
    should have simple elaborated more and shall continue to write posts for
    people and hopefully get more information across so that in future you don't
    jump to the wrong conclusion :o)

  19. #19

    Thanks Grok, I think myself and Andre are on fairly equal terms about things
    I hope :o)

  20. #20

    Hi Andre,

    We are all here to share knowledge and to help eachother, and I don't
    believe someone would deliberately give the wrong information.
    You might disagree with a certain point of view, and it is even a good
    thing! Remember we are here to discuss things in a way we can all profit
    from

    Andre Nogueira

    Andre Nogueira Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast