Professional Web Applications Themes

ibook - Mac Applications & Software

I need an advice. Im buying an iBook with G3. How are the application compatibility issues compared to G4. For example, I have heard that Final Cut 4 does not run on G3. I plan to put 640MB ram and run Maya on it....

  1. #1

    Default ibook

    I need an advice. Im buying an iBook with G3. How are the application
    compatibility issues compared to G4. For example, I have heard that Final
    Cut 4 does not run on G3. I plan to put 640MB ram and run Maya on it.

    Jaka Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: ibook

    > I need an advice. Im buying an iBook with G3. How are the application

    You're gonna need a lot more horsepower than a G3 can deliver.
    Randall Guest

  3. #3

    In article <BZtjb.4593$siol.net>,
    "Jaka Zvan" <here> wrote:

    Maya should have a website with hardware specs and I would take them
    serious. You don't want a digital editor to be sluggish.

    I suspect you'll need a fairly fast G4 machine. The "Velocity Engine" in
    the G4 and G5 really shines with video/graphics.

    If you can wait, IBM is planning to bring the Velocity Engine into its
    G3 line and produce some really fast chips at a bargain price. When that
    happens, Apple will probaby use the chip in their iBooks.

    If not, you can get more power for less money in a used G4 desktop.

    --MP

    --
    ****************
    Preorder Lord of the Ring DVDs and videos.

  4. #4

    In article <BZtjb.4593$siol.net>,
    "Jaka Zvan" <here> wrote:

    That's not really the key to a successful Maya experience, I'd have to
    say.

    While Maya might possibly open on an iBook G3, it would most likely
    CRAWL.

    The MINIMUM system Maya 5 is rated for is (according to
    http://www.alias.com/eng/support/maya/qualified_hardware/QUAL/maya_50_osx
    ..html) a 400MHz G4.

    I should think even a 900MHz G3 iBook (the most powerful one available
    at the time of this writing) would be a fairly painful experience,
    though I suppose if you limited yourself to wireframes/splines you'd be
    okay.

    As for other apps, there are only a few (FCP 4 is a good example) that
    *REQUIRE* a G4. (iDVD is another).

    I think, quite frankly, that you are going to see this more and more as
    time goes on. There's a lot of life left in the G3 when it comes to
    "regular" computing (surfing, email, the occasional game, etc), but it's
    pretty EOL when it comes to the kind of heavy lifting 3D and high-end
    apps require these days.

    I hear that Apple plans to continue with the G3 in some models for a
    while longer, pushing them above 1GHz since it's fine for all-around
    (aka "family") computing.
    --
    Cheers,
    _Chas_

  5. #5

    What about the new PowerBooks? They have GeForce FX, but are not among the
    qualified hardware yet. Do you belive they run Maya ok?

    "Charles Martin" <org> wrote in message
    news:tampabay.rr.com... [/ref]
    Final

    > That's not really the key to a successful Maya experience, I'd have to
    > say.
    >
    > While Maya might possibly open on an iBook G3, it would most likely
    > CRAWL.
    >
    > The MINIMUM system Maya 5 is rated for is (according to
    > http://www.alias.com/eng/support/maya/qualified_hardware/QUAL/maya_50_osx
    > .html) a 400MHz G4.
    >
    > I should think even a 900MHz G3 iBook (the most powerful one available
    > at the time of this writing) would be a fairly painful experience,
    > though I suppose if you limited yourself to wireframes/splines you'd be
    > okay.
    >
    > As for other apps, there are only a few (FCP 4 is a good example) that
    > *REQUIRE* a G4. (iDVD is another).
    >
    > I think, quite frankly, that you are going to see this more and more as
    > time goes on. There's a lot of life left in the G3 when it comes to
    > "regular" computing (surfing, email, the occasional game, etc), but it's
    > pretty EOL when it comes to the kind of heavy lifting 3D and high-end
    > apps require these days.
    >
    > I hear that Apple plans to continue with the G3 in some models for a
    > while longer, pushing them above 1GHz since it's fine for all-around
    > (aka "family") computing.
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > _Chas_
    > http://www.apple.com/switch
    > non-spammers can write to chasm at mac (dot com)[/ref]

    Jaka Guest

  6. #6

    In article <7BMjb.4631$siol.net>,
    "Jaka Zvan" <here> wrote:

    Well that's really for alias to say, but yes I'm sure that if you can
    run Maya on a G4/400 with it's 16M video card then it's a pretty safe
    bet that the new Powerbooks can run it.

    If your needs are a bit more modest, you might want to look at Hash
    Animation Master instead of or in addition to. It's a great "starter" 3D
    program that can actually do some VERY nice things. It's cross-platform,
    has lower requirements and is cheap!