Professional Web Applications Themes

iBook 300 Airport-ready? - Mac Networking

Trying to help a ladyfriend out by telephone. She wants to go from 56k dialup to DSL wireless in one giant leap but her potential LAN comprises a couple of Os9 G3 iBook 300s and an old Os8 PCI Mac. She can ethernet-wire the PCI Mac but are the Os 9 iBooks capable of setting up a wireless LAN/internet? I know they have Airport slots but I don't think she will be able to set up a current Airport base station without Os X. So does Apple offer any wireless solution for Os 9? Alternatively, will she be able to ...

  1. #1

    Default iBook 300 Airport-ready?

    Trying to help a ladyfriend out by telephone. She wants to go from 56k
    dialup to DSL wireless in one giant leap but her potential LAN
    comprises a couple of Os9 G3 iBook 300s and an old Os8 PCI Mac. She can
    ethernet-wire the PCI Mac but are the Os 9 iBooks capable of setting up
    a wireless LAN/internet? I know they have Airport slots but I don't
    think she will be able to set up a current Airport base station without
    Os X. So does Apple offer any wireless solution for Os 9?

    Alternatively, will she be able to get up and running in Os 9 with an
    Airport card and an all-in-one solution like the Netgear DG824M or
    DG834G wireless DSL modem/router? TIA.

    Stan
    Stan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: iBook 300 Airport-ready?

    In article <290120040050217580%com>,
    Stan The Man <com> wrote:

    The big constraint is that Appletalk over wireless only works with a few
    routers. The Netgear MR314 (discontinued), the Buffalo WBR-G54
    (current), an older Buffalo, a ZoomAir whose model I've forgotten, and
    possibly a few others. The new Netgears don't work. Since OS 8 does
    file sharing over Appletalk (only), this is probably important to
    her.

    --
    Matthew T. Russotto net
    of justice is no virtue." But extreme restriction of liberty in pursuit of

  3. #3

    On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 14:44:45 -0600,
    Matthew Russotto (speakeasy.net) wrote:

    Don't forget the older (and current) Apple Airport BaseStations. The
    graphite ones are pretty cheap on eBay.

    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Tintin turns 75 <http://www.tintin.com>

  4. #4

    In article <net>,
    Bev A. Kupf <bevakupfthose_who_need_to_know_have_it> wrote:

    >Don't forget the older (and current) Apple Airport BaseStations. The
    >graphite ones are pretty cheap on eBay.[/ref]

    The graphites have that capacitor problem, though. Wouldn't bother
    me, but would be a consideration for people who don't solder.

  5. #5

    * Matthew Russotto <speakeasy.net>, 2004-01-29 23:17 +0100:

    > >Don't forget the older (and current) Apple Airport BaseStations. The
    > >graphite ones are pretty cheap on eBay.[/ref]
    >
    > The graphites have that capacitor problem, though. Wouldn't bother
    > me, but would be a consideration for people who don't solder.[/ref]

    Actually, not necessarily. Apple exchanges Graphite ABSs with certain
    serial numbers for free. They did with mine, overnight in the US.
    That they forgot to return my security deposit is a different story.

    -Andre

    Andre Guest

  6. #6

    In article <290120040050217580%com>, Stan The Man
    <com> wrote:

    I have a Blueberry original iBook 300 G3 working into a snow base
    station without a problem.

    Until I moved to a iBook G4 last October I set up and administered my
    base station with my iBook 300/OS9.

    Note there is a issue of having the right software in a snow base
    station.

    Once it has been administered by OSX it won't allow administration by
    OS9. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106921
    Has to do with additional features activated by OSX. My snow base
    station was bought used and was previously administered by OSX.

    I had to reinitialize the base station as noted
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106602 in order to
    administer with OS9.

    --
    To reply, substitute .net for .invalid in address, i.e., darrell.usenet2 (at)
    telus.net

  7. #7

    In article <290120041530132736%invalid>, Darrell
    Greenwood <invalid> wrote:

    >I have a Blueberry original iBook 300 G3 working into a snow base
    >station without a problem.
    >

    >Until I moved to a iBook G4 last October I set up and administered my
    >base station with my iBook 300/OS9.
    >
    >Note there is a issue of having the right software in a snow base
    >station.
    >
    >Once it has been administered by OSX it won't allow administration by
    >OS9. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106921
    >Has to do with additional features activated by OSX. My snow base
    >station was bought used and was previously administered by OSX.
    >
    >I had to reinitialize the base station as noted
    >http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106602 in order to
    >administer with OS9.[/ref]

    Thanks for the help, Darrell et al. One final query... Is there any
    risk that Software Update in Os 9 might try to download one of the
    newer versions of Airport software and/of firmware update which, if
    applied would leave her unable to administer her base station without
    Os X? I know these issues are flagged up in the ReadMes but ISTR that
    this Os X-only administration thing could have been missed by the
    unwary when it was first introduced in one of the Airport software
    updaters, I can't remember which. Thanks again.

    Stan
    Stan Guest

  8. #8

  9. #9

    In article <300120040122498456%com>, Stan The Man
    <com> wrote:

    It didn't happen to me over a year long period. I can't give any
    guarantees for the future, but IIRC, the correct base station software
    is located in OS 9 Airport Admin Utility app and can be uploaded at any
    time to reset the base station (a slightly complicated procedure, which
    is however covered in Apple's tech notes).

    Cheers,

    Darrell

  10. #10

    * Stan The Man <com>, 2004-01-30 09:29 +0100:

    > >I have a Blueberry original iBook 300 G3 working into a snow base
    > >station without a problem.
    > >

    > >Until I moved to a iBook G4 last October I set up and administered my
    > >base station with my iBook 300/OS9.
    > >
    > >Note there is a issue of having the right software in a snow base
    > >station.
    > >
    > >Once it has been administered by OSX it won't allow administration by
    > >OS9. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106921
    > >Has to do with additional features activated by OSX. My snow base
    > >station was bought used and was previously administered by OSX.
    > >
    > >I had to reinitialize the base station as noted
    > >http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106602 in order to
    > >administer with OS9.[/ref]
    >
    > Thanks for the help, Darrell et al. One final query... Is there any
    > risk that Software Update in Os 9 might try to download one of the
    > newer versions of Airport software and/of firmware update which, if
    > applied would leave her unable to administer her base station without
    > Os X? I know these issues are flagged up in the ReadMes but ISTR that
    > this Os X-only administration thing could have been missed by the
    > unwary when it was first introduced in one of the Airport software
    > updaters, I can't remember which. Thanks again.[/ref]

    I can't answer your question directly, but why not just disregard the
    Airport control panels? OS X hosed up my settings after switching
    Andre Guest

  11. #11

    Stan The Man <com> wrote:

    Extremely unlikely. The stand-alone firmware files are never part of a
    software update, and the firmware embedded in the AirPort software
    package (which a new version of AirPort Admin prompts you to upload) is
    compatible with that version of the AP software. The only way to upgrade
    a base station's firmware to a later version is to download the firmware
    file manually and then deliberately upload it to your base station. And
    I wouldn't be surprised if the OS 9 AirPort Admin Utility would balk at
    uploading OS X-only firmware.
    Neill Guest

  12. #12

    Andre Berger <de> writes:
     [/ref]

    Not any more. That stopped in May. If you have any machine under
    Apple$are, they will still swap them out.

    --
    A host is a host from coast to com
    David Guest