Professional Web Applications Themes

iBook & Dell - Ad Hoc Networking - Mac Networking

Hi, Would Dave enable PC printer sharing as well? Tony Davoud wrote: > Lea Fraser: > >>...wireless setup, without a hub or router... > > >>... I can get them to network just fine using a crossover cable, but >>not by wireless. Any suggestions out there? > > > ***** > > 1. Spring for a wireless base station. > > 2. Get a fully functional trial version of "Dave" from > <http://www.thursby.com>. I know that it has been said that with Samba > under OS X, Mac/Win file sharing is easy. But I just added a Win XP Pro ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: iBook & Dell - Ad Hoc Networking

    Davoud wrote:
    > Lea Fraser:
    >
    >>...wireless setup, without a hub or router...
    >

    >>... I can get them to network just fine using a crossover cable, but
    >>not by wireless. Any suggestions out there?
    >

    > *****
    >
    > 1. Spring for a wireless base station.
    >
    > 2. Get a fully functional trial version of "Dave" from
    > <http://www.thursby.com>. I know that it has been said that with Samba
    > under OS X, Mac/Win file sharing is easy. But I just added a Win XP Pro
    > laptop to my (previously all-Mac) wireless network, and it was only
    > after I downloaded Dave that it all worked properly. Without Dave I
    > could connect in either direction, but I couldn't see all the volumes
    > on either side, and the connection was wobbly. I promptly bought two
    > copies of Dave from Amazon.com, one each for my two PowerBooks, and the
    > network is humming along. If you try Dave, be sure to turn off Windows
    > File Sharing in the "Sharing" Preference Pane.
    >
    > Davoud

    Tony Hwang Guest

  2. #2

    Davoud wrote:
    > Lea Fraser:
    >
    >>...wireless setup, without a hub or router...
    >

    >>... I can get them to network just fine using a crossover cable, but
    >>not by wireless. Any suggestions out there?
    >

    > *****
    >
    > 1. Spring for a wireless base station.
    >
    > 2. Get a fully functional trial version of "Dave" from
    > <http://www.thursby.com>. I know that it has been said that with Samba
    > under OS X, Mac/Win file sharing is easy. But I just added a Win XP Pro
    > laptop to my (previously all-Mac) wireless network, and it was only
    > after I downloaded Dave that it all worked properly. Without Dave I
    > could connect in either direction, but I couldn't see all the volumes
    > on either side, and the connection was wobbly. I promptly bought two
    > copies of Dave from Amazon.com, one each for my two PowerBooks, and the
    > network is humming along. If you try Dave, be sure to turn off Windows
    > File Sharing in the "Sharing" Preference Pane.
    >
    > Davoud

    Tony Hwang Guest

  3. #3

    Tony Hwang:
    > Would Dave enable PC printer sharing as well?
    *****

    According to the manual "You may share any printer that is configured
    in the Mac OS X Print Center with your PC Network. Be sure you have the
    Windows driver software for your printer."

    I haven't tried this with my two inkjets, but I am able to connect the
    PC with my old HP LaserJet 4M directly via the AirPort network, as the
    HP connects to the network via an HP JetDirect print server, and thus
    has an IP address. It works well.

    Davoud

    --
    usenet *at* davidillig dawt com