Professional Web Applications Themes

iBook function keys suddenly acting strange - Mac Applications & Software

I programmed my function keys with a macro program to perform certain actions. For example F1 is "close window". This has been working fine for weeks. Today, suddenly, when I press F1, it decreases the brightness of the screen. Function keys 1 through 5 have all reverted to the actions indicated by the little icons on the keys (i.e. brighten or dim the screen, increase or reduce sound.) The other function keys work fine with their assigned macros. The way it was working before is that the actions indicated by the icons would only operate if I pressed the fn ...

  1. #1

    Default iBook function keys suddenly acting strange

    I programmed my function keys with a macro program to perform
    certain actions. For example F1 is "close window". This has been
    working fine for weeks.
    Today, suddenly, when I press F1, it decreases the brightness of
    the screen. Function keys 1 through 5 have all reverted to the actions
    indicated by the little icons on the keys (i.e. brighten or dim the
    screen, increase or reduce sound.) The other function keys work fine
    with their assigned macros.
    The way it was working before is that the actions indicated by the
    icons would only operate if I pressed the fn key with the F1-F5 keys.
    Now that's reversed -- when I press the fn key, I get the macro action.
    I haven't used the iBook's keyboard for several days -- it's been
    sitting on my desk where I have an attached keyboard. The macros work
    fine with the external keyboard.
    The only recent change has been an upgrade to OS 10.2.6. Has this
    somehow set the keyboard back to a default position? I've tried every
    preference panel I can think of, including the keyboard panel in
    Classic, but I can't get this thing to switch back to the way I want it.
    I've tried loggiing out and also restarting but neither did any
    good.
    I checked Apple's Knowledge Base and it claims that "programmable
    function keys are not a feature of Mac OS X." But I had it working my
    way in OS 10.2.1 before I upgraded.
    Is there any hope for getting this back? Unfortunately, the macro
    program doesn't allow me to program in pressing the fn key, so I'll be
    stuck with twisting my fingers around unless I can get this situation
    turned around.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: iBook function keys suddenly acting strange

    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    You are correct in every particular. The way it works now is indeed the
    default. The upgrade to 10.2.6 undid whatever made it work backwards
    before. m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
    matt Guest

  3. #3

    In article <1g1fllq.zyygng8l16x8N%com>,
    com (matt neuburg) wrote:

    > You are correct in every particular. The way it works now is indeed the
    > default. The upgrade to 10.2.6 undid whatever made it work backwards
    > before. m.[/ref]

    I found a way to make it go back to the way it was before the
    upgrade. It was simple and I should have thought of it right away but I
    was under the impression that upgrading OSX did not touch OS9. Not true,
    at least in this case.
    I booted back into OS9, went to the keyboard control panel and
    found that the function keys had indeed been unprogrammed. So I set them
    back to the way I had it before and crossed my fingers as I booted back
    into OSX.
    It worked -- the keys remain programmed in OSX, even if Classic is
    not running. Interestingly, when I call up the OS9 keyboard control
    panel in Classic, it doesn't have the option to program the keys.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest