Professional Web Applications Themes

iBook or Powerbook - Mac Networking

I am contemplating buying an Apple notebook but I don't know which one. I have read alot about the 2, pro's and con's, issues with some of the ibooks but you can have that with any computer. I already have a Dell laptop which I use 99.9% for work except when I travel, it comes aong. I also have a desk top which has the 3.06 gig intel processor, raid, 149 gig HD-it was hand built for me. Okay-the Apple...I do alot of scuba diving and take digital pictures-the reason why my Dell travels with me. I could use a ...

  1. #1

    Default iBook or Powerbook

    I am contemplating buying an Apple notebook but I don't know which
    one. I have read alot about the 2, pro's and con's, issues with some
    of the ibooks but you can have that with any computer. I already have
    a Dell laptop which I use 99.9% for work except when I travel, it
    comes aong. I also have a desk top which has the 3.06 gig intel
    processor, raid, 149 gig HD-it was hand built for me. Okay-the
    Apple...I do alot of scuba diving and take digital pictures-the reason
    why my Dell travels with me. I could use a digital wallet but I like
    to see my pictures to evaluate my subjects and burn them to cd's right
    away. Afterwards I use both Adobe Photoshop and Premiere for editing
    the photo's and making vcd's. So is the iBook adequate to do that or
    is the powerbook the one I want. I would only get a 12" to save on
    space and weight. I don't plan to use the apple for hardcore editing
    for vcd's or fixing photo's. I suppose I could go to a 15". So what
    are your thoughts between the 2?

    Thanks,
    Wendy
    wmiller Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: iBook or Powerbook

    In article <google.com>, wmiller
    <com> wrote:

    My 800MHz G4 12" iBook ( with maxed out,640 MB, ram) has more than
    enough speed and power for me.

    I got a 2700 MegaFlop rating on my iBook G4 with this program:

    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/10540&mode=feedback

    Yesterday, I was using the iBook to browse while the cpu was working
    intensively on a Tripwire database initialization for a half an hour. I
    didn't notice any difference from normal browsing.

    Ram is critical to speed on OS X.

    http://www.arstechnica.com/reviews/01q2/macos-x-final/macos-x-4.html

    Ensure your budget has enough to buy plenty of ram whether is an iBook
    or a Powerbook.

    Cheers,

    Darrell

    --
    To reply, substitute .net for .invalid in address, i.e., darrell.usenet2 (at)
    telus.net

  3. #3

    So basically what is the advantage of the super drive over the combo drive?
    I have a DVD+RW on my desktop so ...I do lilke the cheaper cost of the
    iBook. Even maxing out the ram it still is cheaper. Is the airport
    something to get or can I use my lan card I have for my PC notebook?
    Thanks,
    Wendy

    "wmiller" <com> wrote in message

    winner Guest

  4. #4

    In article <4013112a$tds.net>,
    "winner" <hotmail.com> wrote:

    The superdrive can write DVDs; the Combo drive can't.

    Airport is wireless. If you want to use WiFi, you'll need an Airport
    card. Ethernet is built in, so you won't need a separate LAN card for
    wired LANs.

    -- Michelle

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  5. #5

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Michelle Steiner <org> wrote:

    Can Airport be used with a generic broadband wireless router? The
    manual makes reference to an Airport base station -- does the router
    provide the same function, or do I need a base station to interface
    between 802.11 and Airport?

    --
    Barry Margolin, mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  6. #6

    In article <4013112a$tds.net>,
    "winner" <hotmail.com> wrote:
     [/ref]

    iBooks can not write DVD, but they can write CD's.

    There is no PCMCIA card slot in an iBook, so you can not plug in your
    existing Lan Card. You will need to get the Airport card if you want to
    use WiFi. Otherwise, you can plus the built-in ethernet into your
    network.

    Apple's Airport is regular old 802.11b or 802.11g WiFi and should work
    with any 802.11b or 802.11g WiFi base station. The Current line of
    iBook G4 and Powerbook laptops use Airport Extreme which is 802.11g, but
    802.11g is capable of also talking to 802.11b base stations.

    If you have a Apple Store (or a computer store that handles Macs), see
    if you can get them to let you play with some photos using Photoshop or
    Photoshop Elements, and any other graphic editing software you plan on
    using. That is the best way to find out if the iBook is going to meet
    your needs.

    Whatever you get, either buy it with lots of memory, or get quality 3rd
    party memory for your system. The current line of Macs can be very
    fussy about marginal memory quality. Mac OS X 10.3 really stresses
    memory, so marignal memory that worked on previous versions of the
    operating system may start to fail or exhibit hangs and crashes of the
    OS. Mac OS X is a very stable OS, so if it is hanging or crashing,
    there is a very good chance it is hardware, and the most common hardware
    is marginal qualify memory.

    Also, since you are going to use it for digital pictures, you might want
    to consider getting the largest disk available, or maybe getting a 2.5"
    external Firewire or USB2 disk (maybe even buy a 2.5" internal disk, and
    a 2.5" case; a do it yourself kit; search http://dealmac.com).
    Typically the 2.5" external disks can draw power via the Firewire or USB
    cable, so they are very compact and will give you extra storage capacity
    for your digital pictures. And if you format the disk for a PC, you
    will most likely be able to use the external disk to transfer your
    pictures between your Mac and PC systems.

    I currently have the 14" iBook G4/1GHz and I like it very much, but then
    again I've a long time Mac user and my option may not hold much weight
    for a PC user.

    My wife has last year's 12" iBook G3/800MHz and she likes it very much.
    She really likes the smaller size for traveling. Both the weight and
    the form factor so that it takes up less luggage space.

    We are both very happy Mac iBook users.

    One more thing. The iBooks are less power hungry, so they generate less
    heat, and run longer on a battery charge. If you are going to be near
    an electrical outlet most of the time, this should not be a problem.
    But if unconnection operation is going to be typical, then it might be
    someting to consider. My 14" iBook G4/1GHz gets about 4+ hours with the
    WiFi enabled and the screen at about half brightness. Your mileage may
    vary depending on the model laptop and how you are using it at the time.

    Good luck, and enjoy your new toy, whatever you decide on getting.

    Bob Harris
    Bob Guest

  7. #7

    In article <comcast.net>,
    Barry Margolin <mit.edu> wrote:

    airport is 802.11 (plain airport is 802.11b and airport extreme is
    802.11g)

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  8. #8

    Thanks Bob for the input. I have now concluded I don't need the super drive
    and I would (as I do for my 2 pc's) max the ram and hard drive. I totally
    agree in that area. So I am leaning toward the 12" iBook. I am a teacher
    so I can get an Apple discount and great deals of software. How about
    compatibility issues going between Mac and pc, will my MS Office doents
    be readable on the Mac, downloading and copying digital images are the same
    on a Mac as a pc right?

    I do use a wireless Linksys system at home and have the wireless card for my
    pc. If I understand what you told me I would need the airport to connect
    with my hub to go online?

    Thanks again for your help. I don't know anyone who currently owns an
    iBook.

    Wendy

    "Bob Harris" <dec.com> wrote in message
    news:cac.cpqcorp.net... [/ref]
    drive? [/ref]

> [...]
    > for a PC user.
    >
    > My wife has last year's 12" iBook G3/800MHz and she likes it very much.
    > She really likes the smaller size for traveling. Both the weight and
    > the form factor so that it takes up less luggage space.
    >
    > We are both very happy Mac iBook users.
    >
    > One more thing. The iBooks are less power hungry, so they generate less
    > heat, and run longer on a battery charge. If you are going to be near
    > an electrical outlet most of the time, this should not be a problem.
    > But if unconnection operation is going to be typical, then it might be
    > someting to consider. My 14" iBook G4/1GHz gets about 4+ hours with the
    > WiFi enabled and the screen at about half brightness. Your mileage may
    > vary depending on the model laptop and how you are using it at the time.
    >
    > Good luck, and enjoy your new toy, whatever you decide on getting.

    winner Guest

  9. #9

    winner wrote:
> [...]

    >>for a PC user.
    >>
    >>My wife has last year's 12" iBook G3/800MHz and she likes it very much.
    >>She really likes the smaller size for traveling. Both the weight and
    >>the form factor so that it takes up less luggage space.
    >>
    >>We are both very happy Mac iBook users.
    >>
    >>One more thing. The iBooks are less power hungry, so they generate less
    >>heat, and run longer on a battery charge. If you are going to be near
    >>an electrical outlet most of the time, this should not be a problem.
    >>But if unconnection operation is going to be typical, then it might be
    >>someting to consider. My 14" iBook G4/1GHz gets about 4+ hours with the
    >>WiFi enabled and the screen at about half brightness. Your mileage may
    >>vary depending on the model laptop and how you are using it at the time.
    >>
    >>Good luck, and enjoy your new toy, whatever you decide on getting.

    MS Office doents are cross platform. So are standard graphics files
    such as JPEG, GIF, etc. One caution is that you need to be sure the file
    names have the appropriate 3-character filename extension so that
    Windows will recognize them (.doc for Word, .xls for Excel, etc). A
    second caution is that if you use a font on one machine that the other
    machine does not have, the other machine will substitute a different
    font, and it may not look right. So it is best to make sure you use a
    standard font that both machines have.

    Bill

    B Guest

  10. #10

    In article <401400c3$tds.net>,
    "winner" <hotmail.com> wrote:

    If you get a copy of Microsoft Office for your Mac, then you will be
    able to read the doents on your Mac right up until Microsoft changes
    the file format yet again, and forced everyone to upgrade to the next
    version of Office. Yes I know that the newer version of Office can
    write older formats, but no one really does, so the person with the over
    version of Office has to either ask the author to save another copy in
    an older format, or upgrade themselves.

    Mac OS X 10.3 TextEdit will also read WORD doents, but the formating
    is not perfect. There is also the OpenOffice, and OpenSource program,
    that can read Office doents. And there are shareware and comercial
    programs that can also read Office doents.

    Digital Images are generally accessable across all platforms. If you
    have any problems, download a copy of GraphicConverter

    Yes, you will want to get the iBook with the Airport wireless card so
    that you can surf the web at home. You DO NOT need an Airport base
    station, as the Linksys will serve that role.

    If you can find an Apple Store near you, they will let you play to your
    hearts content in order to make a decision. And there are also Apple
    dealers, such as CompUSA (although CompUSA locks down the laptops so
    that it is difficult to see how they feel in your hands and in your lap,
    nor see how hot they feel on the bottom; but if it is all you have, it
    is worth it to spend some time playing, even if you do not buy from
    them).

    Bob Harris
     [/ref]

    Bob Guest

  11. #11

    Darrell Greenwood <invalid> wrote:

    I get 3620,8 on a 933 iBook. how come there's such a massive difference?

    --
    ---
    fr

  12. #12

    In article <1g8bzrt.rtm0u41d02q6mN%fr>, Le
    Ming <fr> wrote:

    > I get 3620,8 on a 933 iBook. how come there's such a massive difference?[/ref]

    I just restarted, shut down all other apps and got 3028 MegaFlops, so
    part of the reason may have been other apps running when I did the
    test.

    The megahertz difference accounts for most of the remaining difference
    (933/800*3028=3531). Dunno about the remaining 2 or 3%.

    Cheers,

    Darrell

  13. #13

    On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 15:57:13 -0800, Darrell Greenwood wrote
    (in message <290120041557130116%invalid>):

    Just to uselessly chime in, on my 12" Powerbook I got 3825 megaflops. I shut
    down most apps, but left Palm Desktop Background running.

    Steven Guest

  14. #14

    Barry Margolin <mit.edu> writes:
     [/ref]

    Airport is 802.11b/g, depending on how Extreme you are.

    Yes, any generic router will work. Apple does have some
    bogosity re: WEP but it appears to be mostly their "we
    need to use different terms than everyone else.."

    There is one other factor, see <http://www.atpm.com/8.04/wifi.shtml>
    re: the SekRet $ you'll need.

    I just bought multiple Netgear MR814v2's for $20 each, post-rebate,
    and am dealing with the WEP aggravation..

    --
    A host is a host from coast to com
    David Guest