Professional Web Applications Themes

iBook vs Powerbook from a durability standpoint - Mac Portable

My wife and I have had two iBooks go bad on us in the past two years. On hers, the ports on the left side all quit working. Mine started crashing and the screen would blink on and off whenever I touched it. I sent it in for repairs and it worked for 3 months before it happened again. I sent it in again and it worked again for 3 months and now it's dead again. I'm a bit fed up. I can (almost) afford a refurb PB 837 from the Apple Store which runs about $1400, or a new ...

  1. #1

    Default iBook vs Powerbook from a durability standpoint

    My wife and I have had two iBooks go bad on us in the past two years.
    On hers, the ports on the left side all quit working. Mine started
    crashing and the screen would blink on and off whenever I touched it.
    I sent it in for repairs and it worked for 3 months before it happened
    again. I sent it in again and it worked again for 3 months and now
    it's dead again. I'm a bit fed up.

    I can (almost) afford a refurb PB 837 from the Apple Store which runs
    about $1400, or a new iBook 900/combo for about $1200. I'm tired of
    having to buy a new iBook every 18 months (or less)and I'm wondering
    if someone could give me a recommendation. Apart from the performance
    boost by moving up to a PB, can I expect more durability from a PB
    over an iBook? What about a refurb PB? Anyone have any experience
    with them? Am I asking for trouble? Did I just happen to get two bad
    iBooks and usually they're solid?

    Thanks in advance,
    Ryan (A disgruntled Apple loyalist)
    Ryan Quick Guest

  2. #2

    > Physically, the iBook is more ruggedly built.

    If the iBook is more rugged than a Powerbook, you must have to use
    Powerbooks in a climate controlled padded room and touch them with
    bubble wrap on your hands!

    I figured a G4 Powerbook would be way more rugged since it's made out
    of metal for crying out loud! when I got my first iBook I remember
    being nervous about how the case would flex so much when you picked it
    up by on corner.

    > My experience is the same as yours, except that I was 'lucky' enough to
    > have purchased the 3 year warranty.
    I thought about that, but then an employee at an Apple store told me
    that they'll fix anything (other than the screen) after warrany for
    $350. I figured I'd rather pay $350 if and when I need it than pay
    $300 upfront whether I use it or not.

    How maddening that they built these new machines so poorly.

    Thanks for the advise.

    -Ryan
    Ryan Quick Guest

  3. #3

    Le 08/08/03 00:40, dans [email]be3cf940.0308071440.14219b42posting.google.com[/email],
    «Ryan Quick» <ryanryanquick.com> a écrit:
    >> Physically, the iBook is more ruggedly built.
    >
    > If the iBook is more rugged than a Powerbook, you must have to use
    > Powerbooks in a climate controlled padded room and touch them with
    > bubble wrap on your hands!
    >
    > I figured a G4 Powerbook would be way more rugged since it's made out
    > of metal for crying out loud! when I got my first iBook I remember
    > being nervous about how the case would flex so much when you picked it
    > up by on corner.
    >

    >> My experience is the same as yours, except that I was 'lucky' enough to
    >> have purchased the 3 year warranty.
    >
    > I thought about that, but then an employee at an Apple store told me
    > that they'll fix anything (other than the screen) after warrany for
    > $350. I figured I'd rather pay $350 if and when I need it than pay
    > $300 upfront whether I use it or not.
    >
    > How maddening that they built these new machines so poorly.
    >
    > Thanks for the advise.
    >
    > -Ryan
    I asked an Apple certified repair technician, he said:

    - the ibook is much more rugged, especially the protective case

    - the powebook bends and is more fragile, however, all you have to do is be
    carefull with it

    Donald Smith Guest

  4. #4

    In article <BB597B1E.1F376%dsmithqa-international.com>,
    Donald Smith <dsmithqa-international.com> wrote:
    > - the ibook is much more rugged, especially the protective case
    >
    > - the powebook bends and is more fragile, however, all you have to do is be
    > carefull with it
    My wife has a ibook.

    I have a TiBook.

    Mine is better (wider).
    Mine is faster. G4
    Mine is slimmer.
    Mine is metal.
    Mine is painted.
    Mine is chipped.
    Mine is dented.
    Mine is scratched.

    Hers is white plastic.
    Hers is thicker.
    Hers is more durable.

    I, almost, would consider a trade. I like my superdrive and door
    covering the plugs and the pc cardslot and the wider screen, etc.

    [url]http://www.newsfeeds.com[/url] - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    Jeepers Guest

  5. #5

    In article <moomesa-D35BC7.11005808082003corp.newsfeeds.com>,
    Jeepers <moomesaINVALIDfnbnet.net> wrote:
    > Hers is white plastic.
    I've puzzled many a salesman in Apple stores by telling them that my
    iBook 800MHz 12" is not white, but silvery. Actually, the lid and bottom
    are the only white surfaces, all the rest are Powerbook-silvery. But
    then, I bought one of the first incarnations of this model.

    --
    Eddy Young - Remove YOUR CLOTHES before e-mailing me

    Homepage [url]http://coding.mu/[/url]
    Fingerprint F5DD 6ABA DBE8 F6D5 B561 D3B9 E76C 5C6B F353 225F
    Eddy Young Guest

  6. #6

    >>My experience is the same as yours, except that I was 'lucky' enough to
    >>have purchased the 3 year warranty.
    >

    > I thought about that, but then an employee at an Apple store told me
    > that they'll fix anything (other than the screen) after warrany for
    > $350. I figured I'd rather pay $350 if and when I need it than pay
    > $300 upfront whether I use it or not.
    >
    > How maddening that they built these new machines so poorly.
    >
    > Thanks for the advise.
    >
    > -Ryan
    I am in Port au Prince, Haiti with a broken IBook 800. It did the screen
    black-out on the right side thing. Three of the five Ibooks that I know
    of here have had the same failure.

    It is REAL maddening when you have to make an international flight
    to get yr computer serviced.

    bounce Guest