OS X 10.2.6

When I set up WebDAV I was able to publish my iCal calendar to my
localhost URL (have Apache running on the same Mac) .... and of course
entered name and password to publish, that I created with "htpasswd
-c" ...

But when I go to subscribe to my calendar from my other mac, I have to
enter that name and password again.

So I wonder can you setup WebDAV so that you need to authenticate to
publish ...... but SUBSCRIBE and allow others to subscribe without
needing authentication.

Obviously all the shared icals on the Apple site don't need
authentition ... any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

Roger McCarrick