Professional Web Applications Themes

ICC profiles and color management - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

We create magazines and marketing materials that are printed at different web offset and sheetfed print shops. We have been advised by the web presses to make sure all ICC profiles are off. Our monitors are calibrated using Adobe Gamma (both in single and RGB) but Color Management is saved to Off. We have a high quality Epson inkjet with a Fiery Rip that produces very accurate color for proofs, but is certainly not the final output. As web presses go, color is often inconsistent, but we are usually happy with the result. Can I have some pro advice on ...

  1. #1

    Default ICC profiles and color management

    We create magazines and marketing materials that are printed at different web offset and sheetfed print shops. We have been advised by the web presses to make sure all ICC profiles are off. Our monitors are calibrated using Adobe Gamma (both in single and RGB) but Color Management is saved to Off. We have a high quality Epson inkjet with a Fiery Rip that produces very accurate color for proofs, but is certainly not the final output. As web presses go, color is often inconsistent, but we are usually happy with the result.

    Can I have some pro advice on the best way to deal with color management? And if Color Management Off is my best choice? I still need to save tiffs without ICC profiles.

    Thanks.
    sandy_johnson@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: ICC profiles and color management

    Hi Sandy,

    When you say your Epson/Fiery RIP produces very accurate color proofs - what are you comparing them to? As a printer, I see a common misconception that if the proofing device matches the image on screen, everything is great. Yet many design firms forget that the ultimate goal of a contract proof (your Epson print) is to match the printer. We work closely with several pre press companies, and they all have "profiles" of our presses. They recieve files from customers, output with these profiles, then submit back to the customer for approval. Many times (virtually always) the files need to be retouched in order for the output (which matches what will be seen on press) to match the original intent of the design. Now, what I've just typed may very well be information that you dont really need.

    Your printers may already be doing this step, which is probably why they don't want ICC profiles built into the files they recieve from you.
    Stephen_Klepper@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    We print Epson photo-quality injet paper for proofs for the editors on site. These are pretty accurate of screen representation. Since we deal with a handful of different presses around the country, they prefer no ICC profiles. They do it on their end when we get matchprints. Typically we supply hi-res pdfs of the docs that go computer-to-plate.
    sandy_johnson@adobeforums.com Guest