Professional Web Applications Themes

iChat Status: How does it work with iBook/PowerBook? - Mac Portable

Hello, I've been using iChat for a long time on my PowerBook, and I'm trying to use it more often with a relative who's just switched from an older iMac to a new iBook. Both of us have DSL connections (mine is typically across AirPort, hers is usually hardwire Ethernet). What I've never really found good info on, though, is the relationship between portable "sleep", connected (Airport/Ethernet), and status. So: 1) when I put my PowerBook to sleep, what do other see for my iChat status? 2) if I want to make sure that iChat always tries to reconnect and ...

  1. #1

    Default iChat Status: How does it work with iBook/PowerBook?

    Hello,

    I've been using iChat for a long time on my PowerBook, and I'm trying
    to use it more often with a relative who's just switched from an older
    iMac to a new iBook. Both of us have DSL connections (mine is typically
    across AirPort, hers is usually hardwire Ethernet).

    What I've never really found good info on, though, is the
    relationship between portable "sleep", connected (Airport/Ethernet), and
    status. So:

    1) when I put my PowerBook to sleep, what do other see for my iChat
    status?

    2) if I want to make sure that iChat always tries to reconnect and make
    me available to the AIM network when disconnected from the internet for
    some reason, is there something I can do to make that happen more
    reliably or as a rule?

    Thanks!

    Todd
    F. Todd Wilson Guest

  5. #5

    F. Todd Wilson <fa382483nospam.skynet.be> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've been using iChat for a long time on my PowerBook, and I'm trying
    > to use it more often with a relative who's just switched from an older
    > iMac to a new iBook. Both of us have DSL connections (mine is typically
    > across AirPort, hers is usually hardwire Ethernet).
    >
    > What I've never really found good info on, though, is the
    > relationship between portable "sleep", connected (Airport/Ethernet), and
    > status. So:
    >
    > 1) when I put my PowerBook to sleep, what do other see for my iChat
    > status?
    Offline.
    > 2) if I want to make sure that iChat always tries to reconnect and make
    > me available to the AIM network when disconnected from the internet for
    > some reason, is there something I can do to make that happen more
    > reliably or as a rule?
    Not sure, iChat isn't sriptable but iChat AV is so maybe there's a small
    applescript you can write to get it to do what you want.

    Jim
    --
    Replace 'spam' with 'post' to reply.
    Jim Taylor Guest